What is that actually for?

Jonny w

Hi guys and girls I was fishing a local commercial today and got talking with a bloke today, he was fishing a distance of maybe 50 yards or so on a little bite alarm not sure what bait or method as I never seen him retrieve his line, strange thing was the rod he was using it was a daiwa whisker looked about 9-10ft with a 6lb test curve!!!!!, so my question is what is that actually for? Surly to god that can not be for carp although I could be wrong of course, the highest test curve I’ve ever seen in a carp rod was 4.5lb test curve and I Thought that was a bit extreme, obviously I asked the gent but he seemed to think I was just for carp and explained he bought it of his pal 2 years ago as a carp rod for £75 quid, does anyone know what that rod was actually made to catch?

Silver fan 82

Hi guys and girls I was fishing a local commercial today and got talking with a bloke today, he was fishing a distance of maybe 50 yards or so on a little bite alarm not sure what bait or method as I never seen him retrieve his line, strange thing was the rod he was using it was a daiwa whisker looked about 9-10ft with a 6lb test curve!!!!!, so my question is what is that actually for? Surly to god that can not be for carp although I could be wrong of course, the highest test curve I’ve ever seen in a carp rod was 4.5lb test curve and I Thought that was a bit extreme, obviously I asked the gent but he seemed to think I was just for carp and explained he bought it of his pal 2 years ago as a carp rod for £75 quid, does anyone know what that rod was actually made to catch?
Are you sure it was a 6lb tc? Some of the shorter 9ft rods are available with a tc of 3.5lbs. Why anyone would need a 6lb tc is beyond me and I don't see a need for it. Unless it was some sort of sea fishing boat rod? But again why you would want to use that in the UK in freshwater I have no idea.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only thing I can think of with that kind of TC is definitely catfish - there are plenty about at 10ft which are 6lb TC. Only thing I have close to that which is carp related is a spod rod which is 4.5 TC but 12lb

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If it really was that high a test curve, it was likely to have been one of the Whisker Catfish rods. Why anyone might need it on the average commie is beyond me. However, I can think of the odd north eastern day ticket venue that has some cats in it. Whether they are big enough to require a dedicated catfish rod is another matter entirely.

Jonny w

If it really was that high a test curve, it was likely to have been one of the Whisker Catfish rods. Why anyone might need it on the average commie is beyond me. However, I can think of the odd north eastern day ticket venue that has some cats in it. Whether they are big enough to require a dedicated catfish rod is another matter entirely.
Yeah m8 it was in the north east, angel of the north fishery’s in the bowes lake, and definitely a 6lb test curve as I had to look about 3 times just to confirm with my brain what I had seen, as far as I know there are no cats in there although there are carp approaching 40lbs apparently, even so you would never need a 6lb test curve rod surly.

Jonny w

Are you sure it was a 6lb tc? Some of the shorter 9ft rods are available with a tc of 3.5lbs. Why anyone would need a 6lb tc is beyond me and I don't see a need for it. Unless it was some sort of sea fishing boat rod? But again why you would want to use that in the UK in freshwater I have no idea.
Yep m8 definitely 6lb, looks to be for catfish

62tucker

Site Supporter
I don’t think Anne would be happy to see anyone fishing with a 6lb test curve rod.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Ha ha you bet she wouldn’t m8, theres know way she would have known about that she’d have kicked him straight off
Seen a bait boat on Saturday on lookout.
sure they weren’t allowed unless rules have changed?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The only Daiwa rod I could think of would be the 6lb sea fishing boat rod but they were around 8 foot long and its not a test curve more of a line class rating.

Jonny w

The only Daiwa rod I could think of would be the 6lb sea fishing boat rod but they were around 8 foot long and its not a test curve more of a line class rating.
It’s the rod that Sam vimes mentioned it was called a daiwa whisker catfish, looked identical but didnt say catfish for some reason

Jonny w

Just looked it up and it’s got a casting weight of 15oz 😬

Tbh that would annoy me they should have made it a pound 😉
Must have been designed for fishing on the continent for jumbo catfish/carp, suppose you do get some massive carp in France, well there’s some over 100lbs isn’t there, and you get wel’s cats to almost 300lbs, can’t see for the life of me why you would need one in the U.K. however.

Jonny w

Its possible he was a beginner and did,nt know what he should be using,BUT as has been often said why be concerned
up to him innit. :)
Yeah bud up to him what he uses of coarse, I was just fascinated by that rod as I’ve never seen anything like it, I mean I’ve seen a daiwa powermesh 4.5lb test curve, but a 6lb test curve never seen one in my life.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Its possible he was a beginner and did,nt know what he should be using,BUT as has been often said why be concerned
up to him innit. :)

Everyone gets a ticket with rules on. Top of page.

We do not want to offend anyone, however, no beginners, sea or game anglers converting to coarse fishing are allowed fishing on Angel lakes unless they have been with an Angel Lakes angling coach and deemed competent.

Rule 1.

Every angler must have balanced coarse tackle and terminal tackle, & use it correctly.

An unhooking mat, landing net (kite marked) Klin-ik antiseptic & disgorger at all times

NO Feeder or Ledger rod to be used as a float rod, no spinning rod, beach rod, boat rod etc.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Yeah bud up to him what he uses of coarse, I was just fascinated by that rod as I’ve never seen anything like it, I mean I’ve seen a daiwa powermesh 4.5lb test curve, but a 6lb test curve never seen one in my life.
Neither have i to be honest mate.............definately a tad overgunned.o_Oo_O