What is PowerBait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Browsing through a fly fishing forum, I came across a recent report on the fishing at Scaling Dam. There were several references to trout having been caught on white PowerBait and yellow Powerbait.
Scaling Dam allows fly fishing and bait fishing, so I don't know which applies here.

I've Googled it, but it looks as though the Berkely range covers all sorts of artificials, from frogs to fish eggs to maggots?

I'm mystified - can anybody enlighten me?

codenamemilo

Powerbait is basically artificial bait, like fake sweetcorn etc but that is infused with scent and flavour.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've used powerbait worms for carping and Perching, you wouldn't believe how well they work mate!!

because they are a "fake bait" they aren't destroyed so quickly by the smaller stuff and you can get different sizes, flavours ect as well, the powerbait paste is supposed to be brilliant for carping and barbelling but i haven't tried that myself so i can't give an honest opinion.

When i was into carp fishing a lot of the big boys who were true die hard carpers (out in all weathers ect) always used to talk about their secret baits and it took me months to find out they were using powerbait worms and when i used one..... the bloody things worked amazingly!!

Simon R

Site Supporter
I don't know for sure exactly which powerbait they're using at Scaling - you think carp anglers are secretive - they've got nowt on the bait fisherman up there[:p]

But you can be fairly sure it's either the original powerbait which is probably the size and shape of a 10mm expander but with a much firmer texture and comes in a range of bright colours or it'll be the powerbait eggs which are circular balls with a texture something like raw jelly.
The powerbait also comes in floating, sinking and neutral buoyancy varities just to complicate matters[:p]

What the report probably didn't mention is that the powerbait is more often than not fished as part of a cocktail - the other part being a fat juicy lobbie or a bunch of maggots.

I haven't fished the place for five or six years but when I wasn't fluff flinging I had the most success legering an air-injected worm, popped up off the bottom by six inches or so.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.