what is my rod suitable for - help going tommorow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
hi all,
i have acquired a 13ft daiwa jaguar match rod - is it suitable for catching small/medium carp on a commercial fishery? If not how do i avoid catching ones that will break the rod(instead catch bream, roach etc)? as it is the only running line tool i have. Also can somebody tell me how I should approach a commercial fishery that averages 11ft deep with the above outfit and what bait to use (carp, roach,bream are present)?
Thank you for your help

martin.

Account Locked
hi rob27
i dont know the spec for your rod but most match rods will handle
carp to low doubles depending on snags ect. if it is not to snaggy you should be able to manage .I would go up to 4lb main line 2.6lb bottom max .
if you want to target the roach & bream i would stick to maggotson a waggler or a sliding float with a small ledger you shouldnt go far wrong.
this is about the best advice i can give with info supplied.

tight lines.
martin.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Rob27 - there is almost no chance you will ever break a rod while playing a fish unless there is a defect in the rod blank (carbon hates nicks and dings), or use line that is way heavier than the rod is rated for, or something really strange happens.

Boat fishing for instance, you could possibly get a take right next to the boat and have the fish run under. In that case, the rod might rest against the boat side (gunnel) and might snap. Otherwise, not a concern.

Using the line recommendations from Martin and a 13ft rod, I'd say no chance at all.

Newt Vail

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Rob,

You didn't say where you are fishing. In Swansea or Neath area? Could give you some help if i knew the water.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.