What is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
I know what you're thinking whats he up to now![:D]

I guess the rivers where you live are the same as here unfishable,
and its been like that for about 3 weeks, well about 2 weeks ago i managed to get a short session on the river, we'd had a couple of days with not much rain and the level had dropped from carrying 6ft. to about 2ft. extra, and with more rain forcast i thought sod it i'll fish it while iv'e got the chance,

You're probably thinking why am i posting this now, well i had some pc problems at the time and the moment was lost until today i was checking the camera and found a couple of pictures i'd taken and it brought back the memory of hooking this strange fighting fish?

To set the scene i fished 11am to 2.30pm thinking this would be the best chance of a bite, and even though the river was carrying an extra 2ft the colour was surprisingly good!
I fished feeder with hemp & dead maggots flavoured with Archies Braddocks "winter barbel magic" with 3 dead maggots on a 14, casting into a slack behind a tree on the other bank, after several casts (about an hour) i finally got an unmissable bite as the rod wrenched over,
this is where the "what is it" comes from, the initial run was strong and holding the bottom, its got to be a barbel i thought, but then the fight seemed to have eased too quickly its got to be a decent chub, iv'e now got the fish half way across river, and now the fight turned to a series of short burrowing thrusts, it had now totaly baffled me, could it be an eel? or something foul-hooked.????

Right have i got you all wondering! well i could be totaly EVIL here and say thats it the fish came off![:D][}:)][:D]
>
>
>
>But as i had already told you i'd took a picture....
a few minutes later i netted the mystery fish!
here's the culprit

Datafile2.jpg

A barbel but with NO TAIL weighing in at 3lb.4oz.
this fish has been caught a couple of times this year and is now known as "STUMPY"

I only had one more bite which was a chub of 1lb. for those of you who went to the trent fishin, remember Archies cheese/crust thats what i caught the chub on..

anybody else caught anything with a difference (keep it clean) i'm not on about trips to the clinic.[:D][:D][:D]

teepee.

angler-mark

Hi Tony,
I had a 3lb Perch last year outof a local pond and it had it's tail missing, I think it's fin rot that does it but not too sure to be honest. Archie caught a 2lb-6ozs Roach from the Trent that also had the same problem.

Tight Lines

Mark

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Mark i think you're right about the fin-rot but i do'nt know what causes it.

Cheers

teepee.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
fin rot... a fungal disease that probably managed to get in to the fin after spawning damage.

chill out go fishing

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Nice one John i knew someone would know.

heres a closer look at it.

teepee.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fin rot is a general term for necrotic loss of fin tissue, resulting in split or ragged fins. It is usually the edge of the fin that is attacked, although occasionally a hole may appear in the middle of the fin. The appearance of fin rot can vary between a distinct, semi-circular bite shape and a shredded effect.

The edge of the lesion is usually opaque or whitish. In advanced cases there may be some reddening or inflammation. The main threat from this fish disease is, if left untreated fin rot can slowly eat away the entire fin along with the fin rays and start to invade the fishs body, leading to peduncle disease if the caudal (tail) fin is involved, or saddleback ulcer if the dorsal (top) fin is affected. Fin rot is a bacterial disease involving opportunistic bacteria such as Aeromonas, Pseudomonas or Flexibacter that abound in all aquatic environments. Secondary fungal infections are not uncommon.

Dave

angler-mark

Dave, you've got me worried now, so from now on I'm wearing gloves when I handle any fish,
, I don't fancy getting this type of thing on my wedding tackle [;)][;)][;)] Lesley might start calling me Stumpy!

Tight Lines

Mark

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Mark,

Dave, showing off again with all this technical rubbish! (LOL)

teepee.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave, only joking of course where would we be without your technical knowhow.?????????

teepee.

martin.

Account Locked
hi mark
when i was talking to lesley she mentioned a stickleback spine
so i dont think youve got any problem LOL

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

angler-mark

Martin, you missheard her, she said " tickle me back, you swine" [;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.