What if - Rod Licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
What If there was no Rod Licence,
Is the Environment something for everyone and the responsability of everyone who lives in this country?
So what if there was no rod licence, and that every household paid 2 extra per annum on the water rates, and that revenue was allocated to the EA.
The EA could then utilise the man power to concentrate on known poluters & polution areas,
No licence for - young, old, unemployed, abled or disabled,
Would it work?

teepee.

MALC

Teepee,

Thats the first sensible suggestion i've heard regards the Licence.

But i dought it would ever work as it would mean the following :

Less hassle for the EA in collection.
Year on year budgets would be known prior to the money coming in.
No need to police for dodgers.
And surley less paperwork.

All the above points are so impractical that it would never work.

Think i'm being cynical.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

G

Its possible Tony,, BUT,, what would the general public have to say about it, also does any of the water rates go towards the cleaning of the waterways,, i think it does mate, i could be wrong.

I wonder how much of our licence fee acctualy goes to the E/A??????.
All of it or part of iticon_smile_question.gificon_smile_question.gif

i'm going to bait up
Andy

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Spot on Tony,
Water extraction for everyones consumption is a problem to Anglers in many areas.
Reservoirs used for human consumption of water are often allowable for the Trout man, but barred to the Coarse Angler, even for Pike fishing without an horrendous cost.
(I believev the EA charged 300 for opening Blithfield near John)
He will know the correct spelling and reservoir! and that was for just 10 days!

Carsington Reservoir , here in Derbyshire was recently used as a fishing tutorial venue, but after this, it was back to the total ban on coarse fishing.
The trouble lies in the fragmentation of the Department, because as you rightly point out, Everyone lives in the overall environment and unless you dont drink, bathe, or use water in any other form, then you should contribute to the cleanliness and healthiness of our waterways.(which I assume is what the water rates are all about)
Interesting idea

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 09 July 2002 10:16:58 PM

snotme

I know I have only just come back to fishing after 13 years but I have had to produce my rod licence 3 times in as many months. I also had to produce it for the bailif so I could purchase a day ticket on one of my local waters.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Trev, the trout fishing on Blithfield owned I think by severn/trent water is run by Blithfield anglers its they who set the prices fees etc for fishing.

As far as I know the reason behind drinking water res. not having coarse fishing on them is so ground bait is not used. It clogs the filters apparantly, or some such.

Again as far as I know the gov.get the money and then dole it out to the EA. A visit to their web site would answer this Q.

Teepee in answer to your Q I cant see payments to what are now private companies (Water) being redirected. An alternative would be a small increase in rates poll tax call it what you will. This to cover flood defence and other country side matters.

To an angler payment of a national rod licence means more than just shelling out money it at the very least gives numbers so that the powers that may be can see at a glance who and what their policies affect. The bigger that number the bigger the political clout we will have.

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks John,
I knew you'd know,but as an aside (sorry Tony) Groundbait? would have to be a hell of a lot to affect filters in a place like Carsington, and if it is banned on Carp Puddles, it could easily be banned on the reservoirs.
Or (Selfishly:) Piking only allowed with no cereal baits and wouldn't we have fun at Carsington, Hopton, Ladybower, Oxton! all close and non-fishable!
(Do they feed those Trout?)
As for Poliical Clout! 1 million licences is less than 2% of the population.
It will take a hell of a lot more than that to make anyone about at the moment take any notice!
Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 10 July 2002 12:14:28 PM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thats a good question Trev??

I know at the side of Blthfield there is a trout farm (had to do a visit when i was training) & the fish in the tanks are fed pellets, after they are released into Blithfield itself i don't know whether or not they are still fed.

If anyone fancies joining Blithfield anglers i'll give you the number, from whats been said a new summer pike syndicate is being looked at but nothing has been confirmed yet.

The last time i spoke to a winter piker there he told me there was talk of increasing the price to 400 for a few weeks pike fishing, which is all done from boats (can't repeat what i thought)!!!.

Alan

Edited by - Trogg on 10 July 2002 12:30:38 PM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi all,

Trout are used in reservoirs to keep the number of crustacians down as are perch and pike to manage the fish population. Crustacians such as shrimp, etc are the main cause for filter blockages.
I helped in a fish survey on Eccup Reservoir several years ago and was astounded by the numbers and size of the perch that it held, unfortunatly you cant fish it.

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Alan, the pike fishing is done from boat and bank the price of 300 is for bank fishing boats cost extra. Lure fishing only.

Some anglers have joined the fluff flingers club so they can fly fish during the summer for pike. I believe its 700ish to join them. BUT I can speak from experience there is some B I G pike in there and I mean BIG, mid 30's seen em wif me own eyes and touched em

chill out go fishing

G

Get yer self to semmer water, 5.50 to fish one rod, pike past 35lbs, reports of 40pounder's present, i can verify pike to 33lb and 24lb.
I saw Norm catch hisP/B a smashing 24pounder, The 33pounder was cought on pegs not far from where Norm fished,,

i'm going to bait up
Andy

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
I think we've gone off track a bit.
Being able to fish reservoir's that are used for human consuption as always been a subject for debate, but the original post was'nt intended to make access to waters that are controlled by regoinal water company's.(probably needs a topic all of its own)

To go back to the rod licence theme, why do we need a rod licence?
I no its the law but you dont need licence for a tenis raquet, or a football, snooker que, or a walking stick. why a fishing rod? is it because its classed as a hunting tool.

Malc, i think you're probably right it would simplify things too much.

Andy, what would the general public have to say? we are the general public, we not asking anybody to pay for our bait or for day/season tickets or tackle. but to contribute to something thats for everyone.

Trev, interesting points but i cant comment,

John, adding it to the water rates/community tax, what ever it was just the idea of a means of collecting,
political clout, to be honest i dont think we've got any, we can still voice opinion with or without a licence, iv'e had a licence/licence's for 35yrs.+ but iv'e never had to show it at a fishing meeting before saying anything, you dont need a licence to go on fishing forum(no comment), we're still a group with or without a licence,

above points are not ment to offend, just a reply to relevant points,

Just think if it did change and there was no licence, what would we talk about next year.
No More :-
its gone up.
iv'e never had mine checked.
had it checcked 3 times in a week.
someone caught without a licence.
it should be on view.
iv'e left it at home.

go on now let me have it.

teepee.

norm

TEEPEE

SPOT ON

TREV

SPOT ON

MALC

SPOT ON

TOMMA

SPOT ON

ESOX

THERE ARE RESERVOIRES AROUND OURS WERE YOU CAN USE GROUND BAIT

TROGG

SPOT ON (THEY CAN KISS MY ASS FOR 400)

DAVE

YOU ARE THE BOSS SO I HAVE TO SAY SPOT ON (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.