What hooklengths to pre-tie?

Nokky

Hey all,

I'm going to have a go at tying some of my own hooklengths (used hooks to nylon for a few years now!).

Any rough sort of lengths, hook brands or hook-length material recommended? I tend to fish float/waggler (Rod/Reel no pole) or am I overthinking it and just make like 2-3 of each?

I'm just going to build up a few hooklengths and I'm sure with more experience of how they perform I can narrow it down as they get used to what I actually need.

12 Inch B911 on Drennan Supplex line (variety of weights most likely 2.5, 3.8, 4.9, 5.8lb and hook sizes ie 14,16,18)
12 Inch Drennan Silverfish on Drennan Supplex line (2.5, 3.8lb with hook sizes 18, 22)
12 Inch B911x on Drennan Supplex line (3.8, 4.9, 5.8 with hook sizes 14, 16, 18)
6 Inch B911 on Drennan Supplex line (Possibly not necessary?)
6 Inch B911x on Drennan Supplex line (Possibly not necessary?)

Kind Regards,

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Hey all,

I'm going to have a go at tying some of my own hooklengths (used hooks to nylon for a few years now!).

Any rough sort of lengths, hook brands or hook-length material recommended? I tend to fish float/waggler (Rod/Reel no pole) or am I overthinking it and just make like 2-3 of each?

I'm just going to build up a few hooklengths and I'm sure with more experience of how they perform I can narrow it down as they get used to what I actually need.

12 Inch B911 on Drennan Supplex line (variety of weights most likely 2.5, 3.8, 4.9, 5.8lb and hook sizes ie 14,16,18)
12 Inch Drennan Silverfish on Drennan Supplex line (2.5, 3.8lb with hook sizes 18, 22)
12 Inch B911x on Drennan Supplex line (3.8, 4.9, 5.8 with hook sizes 14, 16, 18)

Kind Regards,
It’s very hard for us to say what will be suitable to your needs...firstly you need to look at the hooks you’re buying ready tied,and determine for yourself, what is not right about them, and take things from there...whatever you decide make a few and experiment, and see how you get on....try to keep things as simple as you can to start, until you find your way, sorry if this doesn’t sound helpful,but it’s pointless me saying to you to tie boxloads ..Gazza

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hey all,

Kind Regards,

Nice to see you're using a very reliable hook...the B911. :upthumb: A few 4 inch 14's wouldn't go amiss (assuming you use the feeder).

Now I'll wait for the popcorn lady coming round...this could get interesting. :giggle:

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
First thing to work out is what combinations of line and hook do you use most often. Do you really need all those combinations? No point making hooklengths that you don't use, either through preference or necessity.

I keep things really simple and have just three basic variations. But then I pole fish commercials a lot.

Consider whether you really need 14, 16 and 18s. Is the difference between 14 & 16 or 16 & 18 going to make much difference? You could use just 14s & 18s so that when you make a change it is meaningful.

As for numbers I would not have anything less than 10 of each.

chris1967

Site Supporter
I like to keep it simple guru x strong size 14 and size 12 4” long to 6.6 silstar for the pole. don’t bother tying them for feeder or bomb as they are cheap enough pre tied with a variety of stops bands or hair rigs
Yes I know I fish heavy but only fish for carp and they don’t seem to mind lol

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Hey all,

Kind Regards,
If I’m honest mate I the hooks you suggested are all fine pre tied, I’ve used the pre tied 911 for ages and there spot on ditto the silverfish ones...save yourself the hassle!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is going to be stating the obvious, but if you're happy with the pre tied patterns that you've used for a few years, but want to have a go at tying your own just replicate those ones that you are happy using. ;) .

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
This is going to be stating the obvious, but if you're happy with the pre tied patterns that you've used for a few years, but want to have a go at tying your own just replicate those ones that you are happy using. ;) .
And if they are in packets you can reuse them as well !

solwood

Site Supporter
Sadly I find tying hooks very relaxing so probably have a few too many tied

I have a river box with microbarrb, silverfish maggot and vsilverfish red maggot, 20 to .11 and .13, 18 same, 16.13 and .15, 14 same,

Generally tie 5 of each and top up

Also a barbless box same sizes but where size 14 is a carp maggot hook and 12 a carp margin hook to .17 or .19

Strangely I hate tying method hooklink so have far fewer tied

I use old style Preston hooklink boxes

Louis D

Site Supporter
You can make this as complex as you want. I don't see the point of tying b911, b911x and silverfish (which one?) all on 3.8 (assuming you mean the same size). In my view, simplify by picking one - if you feel 3.8 lb warrants a b911x then a silverfish (?) is too narrow gauge in the wire. Also, unless you're fishing big money matches then don't bother trying 12" and 6", it's easier to use 12" and cut down as and when. As Neil of the Nene says, pick the right options and tie plenty. Personally I buy Guru rigs, tie a few options they don't sell and keep it easy.

richox12

Firstly, if you just want to tie your own rather than buy pre-tied then why not buy the hooks & lines which you already use pre-tied and just tie those ?

Secondly some of the hook/line combinations – to me – don’t seem quite logical. For example B911 14/16/18 tied to 2.5 3.8 4.9 5.8. 3 hooks but 4 lines so I’m not sure which is which. Then you have the B911X also in 14/16/18 and also tied to 3.8 4.9 5.8. Therefore if the std B911 is tied to the lower B/S lines 2.5 3.8 4.9 I can see why you’d want the heavier B911X tied to the heavier line. But if both hooks are tied to the same lines then it doesn’t make sense and one or other seems unnecessary.

Similarly the Silverfish 18 & 22 tied to 2.5 and 3.8. The 18 must be tied to the higher 3.8. But you have (might have) the std B911 18 also tied to 3.8. If this is also spade end (you don’t actually say) then it is also a duplication. If the B911 is eyed I get it (but Silverfish is a lighter hook and 3.8 on the 18 seems heavy especially as the size 18 B911 might even be tied to the 2.5).

Generally if I use a heavier/stronger hook I tie to stronger line. But, within reason, if I change sizes of a hook within a family I tie to the same line as I am fishing for the same fish albeit perhaps with a different bait or size of bait.

Just my thoughts.

If that makes sense.