What happened to Total Fishing forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark B

Does anybody know the reason for the closure of the Total Fishing forum? seems really strange![:D]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Mark,

The reason is:

Forum closure: DHP statement
Monday 02nd December 2002

Regrettably, due to the alleged irresponsible postings of a small number of forum
users, the service has been suspended.

If the situation changes, the fact will be reported to all users by email.

Any user that has signed up for the ACA Match being held next May should
email Gareth Purnell at gareth@dhpub.co.uk. It is currently planned that the
match will go ahead.

Roger Mortimer, director, DHP

as found on here: http://www.total-fishing.com/News.asp?Action=View&ID=49063E0D83054E65AB03C50619C07B34

Regards,

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From what I understand a 'poster' decided to be irresponsible and post many remarks and comments that were undisirable and not warranted.
When any website runs a forum, the website owner(s) are ultimately responsible for the content that they display on the forum even though they might not have posted it.
In this day with litigations being tossed around left, right and centre, irresponsible posting can often have this result.
DHP will have had to protect their interests and name first and foremost and withdrawing the service is a line of defence when all else fails.

Dave

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
It all comes down to a legal matter and that TSF could be held liable for posts made on its forum, as normal one stupid person was the main reason for the closure but there are otehr issues that roger will not go into, it is a great shame that it has closed and now i have to decide which new forum i will use!

MALC

Myself and my daughter were 2 of the first people to post on the TF site when it went live 2 years ago.

Since day 1 it has suffered a lot of problems with people posting what can only be described as totally unacceptable things from personal attacks to totally uncalled for language and from day 1 the decent regulars were asking for moderators to weed out the idiot element but it never happened.

So a good number of decent poster left the site a long time ago rather than suffer the idiots.

I'm surprised that it has taken David Hall this long to pull the plug on the BB as all it was doing was bringing his name into disrepute and for pulling the plug i applaud DHP.

Dont get me wrong some good things and new friends came about because of the TF Bulletin Board.

Were it not for the TF Board i would never have met a lot of people that i now fish with namely the following :
Kev,Keith and all the Cokeheads,Dave M and the Yorkies, Scott,Churt and countless others that now post on here and have done so for a long time as in my opinion this is by far a more professionally run site and is well moderated (which is not often needed) and to think that Dave does this as a hobby where as the DHP site was run as a window to DHP.

As i've said the above is just my view.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
hope they dont try and come on here
i left that site because of the idiots
putting posting up under other
peoples names causeing friction
and the language had to been seen
to be believed what they put up,
keep watching mods[:D]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No problems on that front Dave (scouse) and thanks for the compliment Malc [:)]

Certain provisions are in place should the need arise but hopefully it won't, I'm not going to say anymore tho' [;)]

To any new posters, especially those looking for a new home, feel free to muck in and enjoy the fun [:)]

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
all i can say is
"im pleased this was the first site i came on & have only been on "
just keep the good work up dave & his mods you do a brilliant job

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Did someone mention MODERATORS????

Now come on lads,Me & Trogg like an easy life [;)]
If it start's getting too lively we'll have to start earning our money
(
HANG ON,WE DON'T GET ANY MONEY!!!!!!)

RIGHT YOU LOT.........KEEP BEHAVING YOURSELVES!!!!![:D][:D][:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peter,

What do you mean you don't get any money??

You don't think i do this for fun do you?

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

angler-mark

The reason I joined this site was the way it was run, we can have a chat or debate without the need to get personal about it and that's what it is all about. it's also one of the most informative sites on fishing that I have ever seen on the internet and I am proud to be a member of it. Long may it continue. [^][^][^]

Well done Dave and your (FOC) Moderators [^][^][^][:D]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We're not going anywhere Mark and the only time it's not available is when the troggy hits the wrong button lol

On that subject::>
quote:peter,

What do you mean you don't get any money??

You don't think i do this for fun do you?

Alan

....very poor Alan, very poor - you don't think you can wind Peter up that easily lol. [:D]

Dave

Trevski

quote:Originally posted by angler-mark

It's also one of the most informative sites on fishing that I have ever seen on the internet and I am proud to be a member of it. Long may it continue. [^][^][^]

Well done Dave and your Moderators [^][^][^]

Here-Here.

Well said Mark. [^]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well i might not get paid in cash Dave but the amount of gear i get for field testing is great [;)]

I must have at least oh i dunno at least a quids worth now LOL [:D]

All

Thanks for the compliments much appreciated, one of the first things Dave tells you when becoming a god.oops sorry i meant mod [;)] is to be "gentle" when dealing with "debates".

I must say apart from one or two posts which Dave has had to delete/lock & the falling out i had with zippy we mods have never really had to do much.

So really i should be saying , thanks to you lot for making our lives easy.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
All this back patting excuse me I'M GOING TO BE SICK [:p][:p][:p]

p.s. keep up the good work everyone.[:D][;)][:D]

teepee.

jonesr

I would like to back up the comments made so far.I have visited a lot of forums in the last few months and this is by far the most informative,interesting and funny at times forum that I have found.
I must agree that some do have an element of "disagreable characters"
We all like a joke,but it can be taken too far! Well done the Moderators!!!!

Ron J

Age isn't everything!
EXPERIENCE IS!

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Yup Yup well done moderators [;)] Its a well kept site very informative and funny at times as jonesr said [:D]

Tight lines [:D]

Mark B

Received the following e-mail from Gareth Purnell

Hi Mark
Sadly it looks like the whole site is going to close down.
The reasons stem from a complaint by <edit>.
GP

Sad that people are unable to take a joke. I cannot believe <edit> can take what some noddy on a fishing web site seriously enough to waste his time and effort in commencing an action against DHP. Does <edit> seriously think this will decrease the impact of what ever was said. What is annoying is that most of us (coarse forum) have been affected by what some carp noddy said (different forum) and I for one really liked TF's site.

(Edit: Just erring on the side of caution [:)] - Dave)

Last edited by a moderator:

shagga

As a daily contributer to the Total fishing coarse forum I am extremely hacked off that this dispute could not have been settled without threats of legal action...thanks to the idiot who posted what he did on a totally different forum and Mr <edit> for his heavy handed response.... The Maggotdrowners forum is one that I read far more than contribute to, mainly because I've never heard of most of the venues discussed!(me being from deepest Surrey!) but as Trogg says, "just because I ain't posting, dont mean I ain't watching".... Oh, thanks Scouse and Malc for your open armed welcome...I assume you mean it's the idiots who aren't welcome[;)]

(Edit: Just erring on the side of caution [:)] - Dave)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.