What gear for what fish?

BoldBear

For Roach, Rudd, Dace and other smaller speciesI on the float I usually use either my 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra Float rod or my 13ft Diawa Amorphous Whisker Light Float rod (AMW13L) or if I’m fishing a much deeper swim or I am trotting a float further out then I’ll use my 15ft Hardy Marksman Float rod.

For trotting for Barbel and Chub or waggler fishing for decent sized Tench and Crucian etc. I use my 13ft MKIV Drennan Tench Float rod or my 15ft Hardy Marksman Float rod.
For surface fishing for Carp then I will use my 12ft 2lb Tc Diawa Powermesh Carp rod
For specimen sized Carp fishing on the bottom I use a pair of 2.5lb and 3lb Tc Greys Prodigy Carp rods.
For bottom fishing for Barbel then I use my 1.5lb or 1.7lb Tc Greys Prodigy Barbel rods.
For bottom fishing for Tench, Crucians and smaller Carp I use my Greys 1.5lb/2lb Tc Multi tip rod
I have lots of other rods that I use for various types and sizes of fish but the above is what i use the most.

I forgot to mention my 12ft 10in Drennan DRX River Feeder rod which I usually use with my Shimano Arial 4000 RA front drag reel on large rivers like the Thames when I am quivertipping with a downstream bow in my line usually after Chub.

Last edited:

david white

Site Supporter
I was brought up using 1.7lb Bayer as main line once my junior days of using the likes of PDQ were over; that was for dace and roach. 2lb Maxima actually breaks at 2lb 23oz and I've had carp into double figures, chub over 6lbs on it. With a light action match rod like the Acolyte I suspect you'd have trouble breaking 1.1 Bayer with a steady pull! I still occasionally use 1.5lb main line. Try a spare spool with 2lb line and tie your own hooks to a decent 0.09 or 0.10 line and you may find an improvement in what you catch.

Very much the way I was taught well back in the day, as you quite rightly refer to, however using the right rod is all part balanced tackle equation ( many times on the Thames or GUC 1.5 main line and 12 oz hooklink were essential to get bites of me of the many reasons the Normark Microlite was so popular in what was my home patch )

MarkW

Very much the way I was taught well back in the day, as you quite rightly refer to, however using the right rod is all part balanced tackle equation ( many times on the Thames or GUC 1.5 main line and 12 oz hooklink were essential to get bites of me of the many reasons the Normark Microlite was so popular in what was my home patch )
The 1.7 Bayer would have been matched with initially an 11ft Sealey Black Arrow and later an ABU Mark 6. Only very recently did I acquire an original Normark Microlite 12ft. Strike gently!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a ABU match rod, sorta silver blue in colour, lusted after it when i saw it in the catalogue

only got rid of it a couple of years ago, after giving it an outing on the stour

it was then i realised just how far technology in fishing rod design and manufacture had progressed

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My first good float rod was an Abu suveran which if recall were about £140 which in today's money is probably more than my £180 acolyte ultra so was a hell of a rod given I was a teenager st the time. Not sure what I did to deserve that as a present. Unfortunately a few years late my uncle shut a car boot on it after they were discontinued so I couldn't get a new top section. The Preston float rod I got after that (mind blank as to the model but was about £130) was a nice rod as well before it met the same fate (well car door) at my hands this time but the ultra I have now is the best of the lot and lives safely in a hard tube when not in use! Can only see me upgrading it if I ever get in a position where I can justify one of the fancy high end diawas.