what float to use on the trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

big stoo

hello
It's been a few years since i last trotted a float on the trent, trying it on wednesday night, always used wire stemed stick floats, with bulk shotting down the line, on my last trip to collingham chub and roach were taking my feeder on the drop or as it just settled.

whats the best float for this, and the shotting style, what kind of weight float should i be using, previously used 3bb,

any help would be great, thanks

glenn

Account Locked
Fished the stick yesterday on the embankment 8x no,4,but it started to come up a bit .Wire stems usually for broken water is a sooth run stoo

big stoo

hello
it's quite alot of surface boils but the flow seems steady, thinking of fishing about 2 rod lenghts out, it's about 6-8ft deep there

newies_maggots

id use a float that floats.

orange or even a yellow tip, make it look cool.

go for multi colours, YEAH, so chavtastic.

and use 1 HUGE shot..

go for it big man

ada

brummie
people tend to see faster water and use far too heavy a stick use a 6-8 n04 shotted shirt button style 3 no4 under float then no6's spread evenly down the line with no 10 one 6 inches from hook wire stem is the best pattern for the trent keep holding it back every few yards to lift the hookbait off bottom its a killer on the trent

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Don't know how good your eyesight is, but I find it much easier to keep tabs on a long tipped balsa or Avon type float. Usually 5 or 6 BB shotted shirt button style.

Seems a bit crude, but it's easier to keep straight while mending the line, and even a 2oz roach will pop it under just as easily as it will with a 3 no.4 dome topped stick. [:)]

martin.

Account Locked
where i fish on trent i use a drennan stick float 7 1/2 bb which is about 3.5 grams with a 3gram ollivette & attach thehook link via a swivel which just about shots it OK.
then i can allways move ollivette up or down to suit

big stoo

hello
Originally posted by newies_maggots

id use a float that floats.

orange or even a yellow tip, make it look cool.

go for multi colours, YEAH, so chavtastic.

and use 1 HUGE shot..

go for it big man
this is a fishing forum, try reading what other people write.

thanks for all the other advice, i think i might try the avon float as my eyes ain't great

Last edited:

Chavender

Steve
i prefer Avons and small (3-4ssg) cubba's if you go too light & with strung out shot you'll run the risk of your shot not sinking through the current properly and your line riding high ,great for catching fish near the surface but would require you to fish overdepth to reach lower fish.pairs of shot strung out might be better.best is to have a bulk of shot 2/3 down.which is why i prefer Avons and chubbas

wire stem floats would be my second choice as they're more stable than plain stickfloats.

Status
Not open for further replies.