What elastic for my

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Whip I've noticed my elasticated whip top three has a couple nicks in so before I use it again I should replace the elastic, but what should I put in it, i use it on the river with a bait dropper, some times fishing with it other times swapping back to a flick tip, and on a club pond for roach and skimmers use the elasticated as there will be carp getting in on the act. What do ya think I should put in it.
It's the only thing I have elasticated as I don't pole, so not a lot of experience with the stuff, and it came elasticated so I don't know what's in it. Cheers.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
on my elasticated top kits in the whips, apart from using just a flick tip

I use NG dark blue hollo for the general tasks, a good forgiving elastic that deals with the majority of my elasticated whip work, this is run quite tightly through all the top 3 sections

for heavier work where the bigger bonus fish or carp may be contacted, I remove the number one section and run NG white hollo through the top two sections, yet again set quite tightly as I really only want the laccy working where the flex of the whip might be in doubt

you can buy custom lengths of elastic off Nick to help with not wasting too much of the stuff, hope it helps

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy thanks Mick really helpful, i think the elastic is only in one section at present, i was thinking of making it longer and going lighter but doubling up. Also heard about power gum being used. So many options I guess like most things experiment find the best fit for you. But I think I'll start with laccy, oh what bung do you use. Mate

Simon R

Site Supporter
Wouldn't bother with powergum - that's generally used in places like Ireland where you're fishing line to hand for sizable fish and swinging them straight in - the powergum just gives a little shock absorption but doesn't stretch a great deal.
If you're happy with the elastic you're using and just want to renew it due to wear and tear I'd stick with the single section and just drop some 'middle of the road' elastic through it. Any idea if you're currently using solid or hollow elastic?
I would guess it's probably solid, so a like for like replacement would probably be a 6-8 or 8-10.

Simon

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
@mickthechippy thanks Mick really helpful, i think the elastic is only in one section at present, i was thinking of making it longer and going lighter but doubling up. Also heard about power gum being used. So many options I guess like most things experiment find the best fit for you. But I think I'll start with laccy, oh what bung do you use. Mate

with a bung I can only say that on using the white hollo its just a bung, which fits directly into the base of the third section rather like these, with a length a mono as a pull out

with the blue I use a winder bung, like these, mainly as the lighter laccy, like yous get a bit beat up in use and then i can just nip a few inches of the end and re-tie the stofo