What Do You Think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN_M

I was fishing a small river the other evening and latched onto something that I don't know what it was, let me explain.
The river is 20 feet wide and on average 3 feet deep, a clear bank on the side you fish from, with reeds and bull rushes on the far bank. The bottom has a bit of weed in places but is mainly stones and gravel.
The flow is nice and steady and I was running a stick float down with 4lb line straight through to a 16 hook, fishing with maggot and worm on the hook. I put in a couple of handfulls of 4mm pellet and hemp in as I set up and fed maggot and caster while fishing.
I caught various species and sizes of fish and lost 3 descent fish one of which is what I'm coming to. I've caught carp in this river that run to 20lb+. Now when these carp are hooked they head off downstream and create a V shaped wave as they take off, this is not what happened when I latched onto a particular fish.
As soon as I struck into this fish it took off downstream at a teriffic speed without creating any wave and I didn' see it at all, the hook pulled out after about a 20 yard run without changing speed, direction or the feeling that it wasn't going to stop.
Last evening the same thing happened to another angler fishing from the same peg as I was fishing on the Monday, the way the fish took off was exactly the same scenario as what happened to me.
We did put som barbel in this river about 5 years ago at 8 to 10 inches long but I have had no witnessed reports of anyone catching them.
I've done my best to explain the details, but it's a bit difficult without actually seeing it happen.
The big question is, could it have been barbel, if it was then my previous experiences of catching them would suggest that it was 5lb+.
What do other MD's think?

Last edited:

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Could be foul hooked,which will fight different.Thats. will why the hook is pulling out as well.

JOHN_M

There is no way in this wide world that it could be Salmon, we're talking a small river in the middle of Notts here.
It's absolutely impossible for a Salmon to get into this river even if it did come up the Trent, there is a huge sluice gate that connects the river to the Trent, which in my opinion, no fish could get past.

Any one wishing to see where this river is go on MULTIMAP.COM input post code NG6 8TN, go to aerial view, it's the river between the south end of the large lake and the small lakes.

Last edited:

sburton1

Probably not the case but could it be a large Eel? When I have been Pike fishing, on the riverIdle and Warping drain, I have had screaming runs with no hook ups. My friend however has had the same experience and hooked quite a large Eel

JOHN_M

Never considered an Eel, but I think the run was too hard and too fast.

mrhaze

sounds like a typical barbel hit and run if you ask me.

the pellets and hemp would bring em in for sure if there are any near by.

scale up and get it next time :D

mouse77

Go down with two rods, leger a deadbait on one rod and a pellet on heavier gear on the other rod and let us know how you get on.

Don

sounds lik a barbel but maybe one thats been introduced at a bigger size than a fingerling!Hugging the bottom it wouldnt create a bow wave, most other species apart from a catfish(possibly) would.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
What about a big Chubb?

Beef your gear up and try the same approach / baits again and see what you land

JOHN_M

I had a 4lb Chub on the Monday evening it fought nothing like what I'm describing.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Don't know then mate - maybe a jack Pike or a bl00dy big Perch. Do you know what the line looked like at the break? Was it stretched or look bitten off?

Status
Not open for further replies.