what do you fish for in winter?

Joe C

Site Supporter
For the first time in my angling life I'm carrying on through winter. Im gonna get out this coming Sunday, bit unsure what to get out and fish for. Generally just like pleasure fishing and putting bags of fish together on the float. I'm an hour and a bit from Hereford so was thinking of fishing the Belmont stretch, but I'm gonna be alone so a bit unsure if its safe, same scenario with the Bristol Avon, I don't have a great deal of river fishing experience so a bit wary. Might go to a Stillwater and fish for roach?

What do you guys tend to target in winter?

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Pike, whenever this damn rain stops and the rivers drop.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Anything basically, on my local its only just starting to slow down a bit, still catching usual species. Find a sheltered swim if its not sunny, and if it becomes an endurance test call it a day and ready yourself for the next session. Personally I love winter fishing, a lot more finesse needed ( usually) but Im lucky being retired from work so I can pick the best day using the weather report ( as a guide!)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In actual winter, eg December to February, I generally sit it out for bigger fish unless there is a bit of a warm spell then I fish for silvers like I do the rest of the year. Had a couple lovely silvers sessions during the warm spell in February this year. My local Stillwater just dies in the winter and I generally think stillwaters looks very bleak once the leaves are down and it gets all muddy so I fish pretty much exclusively rivers once November arrives compared to the year as a whole when I'm probably about 70% rivers 30% stillwaters.

The rivers are all a bit of a mess at the moment but once they fine down again in terms of your area the Wye in Hereford is packed with fish in the winter, I've never fished the Bristol Avon but I believe it's pretty good year round.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Whatever takes the bait.

Carp, skimmers on commercials. Roach, perch and skimmers on the canal. But basically fish a method that will get bites from anything.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't target anything in particular, if it swims and has fins then it's fair game.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'm out tomorrow... on a tiny little river for whatever swims

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I generally stick a maggot on and see what comes along. Mostly roach and skimmers. If there are F1s in the lake I’ll fish for them.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm really not that bothered as long as my float goes under reasonably regularly. However, I'm generally fishing my local rivers where I'm largely going to be catching grayling. Once in a while, for a change, or because the rivers have a bit too much water in, I'll fish a stillwater for roach.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I fish all year round, usually after bream on local still waters, but l equally enjoy fishing rivers for chub, roach etc, and today l was on a local canal fishing for roach, using a pole, which is not my favourate form or strongest part of my angling armoury, todays bait was entirely bread punch and during the session l only fed two tiny blobs of liquidised bread, and it was a bite a chuck, nothing big but very enjoyable amassing a nice net of 5lb 10oz fishing in only 18 inches of water on the far shelf, hope to get back again on wednesday, weather permitting. 20191117_144505.jpg

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Not the best photo but it was raining and my hands were freezing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice catch, can’t beat a bag of roach.

I intended to fish my local canal this weekend with the rivers flooded but even that was over the towpath and flowing over the top of the lock gates!