what do i do if its your first fishing match. plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

animal 2001 2001

Hi to every one who reads this and hopefully can help me out i would like to know what to do if its your first fishing match and if there is anything to worry about and if when you first had your comppettitive match what was it like. email me on
sam.thornton@ntlworld.com

thanks
sam

s.thornton

angler-mark

Hiya Sam, Don't worry if it's your first match, just enjoy it, we all had to start out like you, I've sent you a mail, hope it helps. icon_smile.gif Let me know how you get on in the match.icon_smile_big.gif
Welcome to the club

Tight Lines

Mark

Edited by - angler-mark on 21 August 2002 7:02:14 PM

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Just treat it like a days pleasure fishing. Only main rules are, one rod and line, don`t start till told and finnish when told.Where is your match? If full day match start with big bait big hook. If nothing go down to size 20 single red maggot. That usualy works for me. If you hear others are bagging up go back to larger hook and corn or meat. Most of all enjoy. IT IS A HOBBY AND WINNING IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT.Good luck. Drop me an email at haydn.borthwick@ntlworld.co.uk if you want to know any more.

haydn.....

martin.

Account Locked
hi sam
cant remember my first match i was still at school & i leleft there 33yrs ago but in my time ive seen a lot of people start match fishing
My besr advice would be find out about the water your fishing try & have a practice if posible if not have a walk along/round it ask people whats cathing the fish ect.then when you go to match just try your best& enjoy it no-one can do more
just let us all know how you get on if you want any advice on a specific fishery or type of fish please ask we all try to help each other as & when we can.
we are a friendly crowd on here although we may seem mad at times
WELCOME TO THE MAD MDs

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

jimbo

Sam

I will never forget my first match, got to my peg and set my gear up then proceeded to mix my groundbait. Looked at my watch and had about half hour to the start, i then started balling in thinking that will give them time to settle on the feed. Luckily i think my age saved me from a beating and getting thrown off. Just started fishing matches again recently and am learning with every one. My advice would be to find out where your fishing, put a post on MD's and someone will have fished it b4 and will give you good advice so you can turn up prepared.

I learnt the hard way by losing 9-10 carp in a match recently because i never used the right hooks, i put a post on MDs got some good replies and havent had a hook straightened since. You can have the best gear and all the different baits, but nothing beats PRACTICE i am finding.

Tight Lines

Polepot

Poles
Sam,

Firstly welcome to Maggot Drowners.

I can remember my first match as if it was yesterday - in fact it was 11 June this year.

It was a commercial Fishery in Bedfordshire and I found myself fishing with some very skilled anglers - Look at my postings on Browning Tingrith. The key thing is to enjoy yourself - it is a different experience to pleasure fishing and don't let it worry you when you seam to be catching less than everyone else. I've had had this feeling in every match I've fished but I am still pleased that I've not been last - joint last yes but that was due to the Malc Bagging Curse.

Do not worry about anything just keep your mind focussed on your plan of attack.

Where is your first match? What are you targetting.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

brady

the best way as people have already said is treat it as a days pleasure fishing. i only fish matches with a club we set up at work so we always swap info about a venue anyway so even though were competing its still a fun day.
my one piece of advice on a match is stick to what you know ,if your catching fish even tiddlers stick with it youll be surprised.

martin.

Account Locked
hi all
had an email from young sams dad before w/e & for his first match he won the under 12s sect & came 3rd overall in the under 16s .
it looks as though weve got a future big match angler on the site .
A BIG WELL DONE SAM keep it up

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

angler-mark

Well Done Sam, I think it's you who should be giving us tips now! icon_smile_big.gif

Tight Lines

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.