What did I do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket74

Reidy
Have always been a rod and reel man but fancied trying a pole so picked up a Daiwa Yank & Bank and gave it it's first airing yesterday on a local club water.

Was fishing at about 8.5m length using a 14 elastic (the pole came with the top 2's elasticated with 14 and 20). Hooked into a carp near some lilies and the fish bolted into the lilies and wrapped itself around them. Couldn't budge the fish for love or money and eventually ended up putting too much pressure on the pole and the number 4 section shattered into 4 sections as I was trying to pull the carp out the lilies.

What should I have done in this situation to get the fish out? The line was showing no sign of breaking and nor was the elastic. Speaking to another angler late he said the bext thing to do would have been to point the pole at the fish and put the tip underwater but given that the fish had wrapped the line round the lilies I don't see what good tihs would have done?

Oh, and anyone selling a number 4 section for a yank & bank?

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
sadly mate you found out the expensive way that you can't use a pole the same as a rod to apply pressure they are not built strong enough for that.what i do if i get a situtuation like that I.E stuck to vegetation or fish in snags is if possible to pull the pole back whilst pointing it at where its stuck until i can get hold of the eleastic ( always keep a slight angle on the pole or you risk pulling the pole apart and losing sections )then i pull on the elastic until something gives. when doing this turn your back on the elastic and try to cover your hands, if the line breaks that elastic coming back at you can hurt like hell

Last edited:

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
aint that a fact,got one in the leg once :(

Last edited:

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
I tend to pull the elastic by hand as already stated but I put my foot on the elastic and push it under the water while pulling it back, had floats stuck in my fingers and had purple nails far to often.

gobby1

My advice is not to pull with your hand even with a towel wrapped around it. Best method I've found is to pull back level with water line, then when you can wrap your landing net once around laccy, use that to pull for a break. Never had a problem doing it that way.

AlexM

river warrior
yeah, pull back in line with your float etc like said, then instead of ya foot or hands, i would also use my landing net, a lot less risks then

Status
Not open for further replies.