What diameter line do you use most of?

buygoodtackle

Prestretched is almost a half way house between braid and mono when feeder fishing. I find the bites are easier to spot, particularly if they are shy to start with. Obviously if you are getting three foot twitches on the river or wrap rounds from carp there is no advantage.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just as a comparison the 0.20mm line I use for heavy feeder work is 5.6kg (12.32lb) while the closest to 6lb would be the 0.14mm which is 2.9kg (6.32lb). I would tend to have 0.18mm on my main feeder reels and 0.12mm or 0.14mm on my river float reels, pellet waggler reels has the 0.20mm.
Prestretched is almost a half way house between braid and mono when feeder fishing. I find the bites are easier to spot, particularly if they are shy to start with. Obviously if you are getting three foot twitches on the river or wrap rounds from carp there is no advantage.
Do you find you ever crack off feeder fishing? I am considering a shock leader with my Pulse Pro.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Again it would all depend on the type of river and species sought. As I said earlier there are no hard and fast rules because angling has so many variables.

buygoodtackle

Do you find you ever crack off feeder fishing? I am considering a shock leader with my Pulse Pro.
In the 12 years, 2 crack offs both after having been snagged and released, next cast... I do not use a shock leader even with braid but I do amend how I cast when using braid.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have cracked off once and that was with 6lb Maxima. :LOL: Don't know how I managed that but I did. Not a short crack off either, about 20m of line lost at Chard Reservoir that @Fugley-fisher managed to retrieve for me when he caught it a couple of casts later. :unsure: I was using too short a rod that day though.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I also unhooked a 2oz roach that had eaten two worms, I will also claim the catch and add the 2oz to my weight but you did though give me beating from the next peg lol , I'm still unsure how you cracked off without breaking the tip of that rod @Zerkalo

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I also unhooked a 2oz roach that had eaten two worms, I will also claim the catch and add the 2oz to my weight but you did though give me beating from the next peg lol , I'm still unsure how you cracked off without breaking the tip of that rod @Zerkalo
I used the same rod Bream fishing again when I got home and broke two tips, never again using it for chucks other than the close ranges that I bought it for lol. It's not designed for it though still caught me a few fish.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Just bought a spool of Guru Pulse Pro in 6lb for my Bream feeder fishing reel, if it's not prestretched, they do a very good job with the diameter and low stretch properties.
6lb in 0.21mm ? Nothing remarkable in that. It could have been anything from about 0.18mm upwards.

Define low stretch. 35% ? 30% ? 25% ? 20% ?

All nylon lines are pre-stretched. It's how they are made. Just some stretched more than others.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Just as a comparison the 0.20mm line I use for heavy feeder work is 5.6kg (12.32lb) while the closest to 6lb would be the 0.14mm which is 2.9kg (6.32lb).

That's not likely to be the truth - just mislabelling. You won't get 12.32lb B/S out of genuine 0.20mm nylon mono nor 6.32lb from genuine 0.14mm. Way over the g/d scale for nylon.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's 0.20 so you're right in a way, only 0.02mm less than Maxima at 0.22 and Maxima will have a high breaking strain compared to what's stated whereas I'm told Pulse Breaks around spot on stated. It is low stretch though and seems like it will cast well. I've used some 6lb reel lines that are 0.24 so it feels thin in the hand.

richox12

That is actually the diameter of 4lb Maxima Chameleon and 3.3lb Drennan Supplex fluorocarbon.
What is ? Surely if it wasn't 'English' you wouldn't know what the diameters were ?

It's all a can of worms. Mislabelling is rife. Just use what you are comfortable with

CarpCatcher86

What is ? Surely if it wasn't 'English' you wouldn't know what the diameters were ?

It's all a can of worms. Mislabelling is rife. Just use what you are comfortable with
0.17mm mainline to a 0.15mm hooklink is the diameter of 4lb Maxima Chameleon mono and 3.3lb Drennan Supplex fluorocarbon. You quoted those diameters as being 6lb and 3lb. I suppose it would be depending on what brand of line you were using. Not that it matters.