What diameter line do you use most of?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
This intrigued me to check what diameter my sea leaders are turns out 10lb is 0.25, 20lb 0.40 and 50lb 0.65 so no wonder they look funny attached to braids that are roughly around 0.20, 0.30 and 0.35. No idea if they about standard or not.

Is weird looking at them side by side with the 0.15 to 0.12 or 0.10 I use for most my coarse fishing!

Carp attack

Summer 0.21
Winter 0.15
Can match most hooklinks to these,,, only change would be a stronger main for edge work if snaggy,,

Reuben

Site Supporter
Tend to use 4lb Diawa Sensor (0.20) for most float work with lighter hooklengths depending where I am. Using up a bulk spool of 6lb Sensor (0.24) on the feeder again with lighter hooklengths. I may have a change from the 6lb when it’s used up & drop down to 5lb.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Pole main lines 80% on 0.165mm Matrix Power Micron, big fish rigs 0.20mm.
most used hooklength 0.125mm.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Diameter means nothing to me. I hate hearing people in fishing videos saying they are using a 0.17mm main line to a 0.15mm hooklink. Just speak English for god sake, 4lb mainline with a 3.3lb hooklink. People get too caught up on line diameter.
Have to say I’m much more of the call it 3lb mainline to 2lb hook length type as well but these days that doesn’t mean much to some so you have to translate it to 0.15 to 0.10 lol

DaveGas

For pole rigs, 0.11, 0.13, 0.15 & 0.17 Reflo, Pellet waggler and bomb work is usually 6lb Sensor (0.24) with a 0.17 or 0.19 hook length.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I bought 5 spools of Stroft GTM at the start of last year and have just had to replace a spool, the 0.14mm one as it is running low.

Having not tied up a single pole rig all year means I have used less line than usual and all of that has been for hooklengths. It seems a bit of a strange diameter, coming in a almost 5lb, to have used a lot of but thinking about it, I use it for hooklengths to both 6lb and 4lb Maxima for Chub fishing on the float, Bream feeder and Commercial Waggler, so that must be where it has all gone!

What do you use most of and what for?
0.18 main line for carp waters in front of me coupled to 0.15 hooklengths. 0.15 and 0.13 hooklengths for f1 . Reel 0.20 for feeder . 0.16 or 0.18 for wagglers. Margin fishing 0.20 or more depending on lumps and snags. Over all main line o.18 and 0.13 hooklength for warmer times

richox12

Diameter means nothing to me. I hate hearing people in fishing videos saying they are using a 0.17mm main line to a 0.15mm hooklink. Just speak English for god sake, 4lb mainline with a 3.3lb hooklink. People get too caught up on line diameter.
That's 6 and two 3's though. I'd argue the opposite - too many get caught up on 'old fashioned' B/S ! It's whatever the individual can get their head around.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Well, I suppose I am old fashioned, but still look towards BS coupled with dia. adjusting to what I may fine. Example - roach only 3lb bottom and main , where I might hit chub and the odd barbel - 5lbs; Carp fishing - 6.6lb (for expected fish up to8lb) ; purely barbel (float )fishing - 8.3lbs: braid and 15lb fllouro and/or flouro bottom (12lb) for bottom ledgering for carp

I always use these lines for my general fishing - Super G-line
0.20 - 8.3lb
0.18 - 6.6
0.16 - 5.4
0.14 - 4.1
0.12 - 3.1

I'll switch and use on pole rigs as befits the water I may be fishing. Diameter to me - conveys nothings about the particular strengths of the line and I'm sure that if dia was so critical, why do some anglers here quote 6lb Sensor (0.24) when they could switch down.

You wouldn't go to a garage and ask for a 17" tyre without wanting to know its construction, ply rating or general rating (Speed) or would you, so to me the same applies dia and strength go hand in hand

Last edited:

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
In fly fishing, not only is the line rated in diameter and breaking strain but additionally it's X rated. eg. 4X, 5X 6X .... etc etc. Just a different currency really but of equal value. It is handy to understand them all though.

rudd

Site Supporter
I bought 5 spools of Stroft GTM at the start of last year and have just had to replace a spool, the 0.14mm one as it is running low.

Having not tied up a single pole rig all year means I have used less line than usual and all of that has been for hooklengths. It seems a bit of a strange diameter, coming in a almost 5lb, to have used a lot of but thinking about it, I use it for hooklengths to both 6lb and 4lb Maxima for Chub fishing on the float, Bream feeder and Commercial Waggler, so that must be where it has all gone!

What do you use most of and what for?
8lb Daiwa sensor
dia?

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I find the ‘X’ system completely pointless.
Easier to match up with rod weights #5 = 5X in mid ranges but not in the lower ranges 2X doesn't go with a #2 rod likewise 8X with an #8 rod. Confusing isn't it.

Last edited:

squimp

Site Supporter
Easier to match up with rod weights #5 = 5X
Really !

I’ll take my brain out before I next go fishing.

It probably worked just fine when line was gut or even first generation mono...then you didn’t’ have a choice. Pescalon anybody ?

I have no idea what 5X actually means. What I do know is that I use a 5wt rod for different jobs that require (in my mind) different leader/tippet materials. Both in terms of diameter and constituent material.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Tend to use Diawa Sensor in 4lb for float - 0.20 & 6lb for mainly feeder or float for lumps - 0.24. I‘m not too bothered about diameters tbh as long as the hooklength balanced. Most of my line is bought in bulk spools.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Really !

I’ll take my brain out before I next go fishing.

It probably worked just fine when line was gut or even first generation mono...then you didn’t’ have a choice. Pescalon anybody ?

I have no idea what 5X actually means. What I do know is that I use a 5wt rod for different jobs that require (in my mind) different leader/tippet materials. Both in terms of diameter and constituent material.
Yes, but also you need to take into account the rod action. You can get away with a lesser line with a soft action rod than a through action rod. In summer I'll use Reflo as a tippet material for dry fly fishing because of it's lower diameter but only with a soft action rod. Horses for courses.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter

Here's some bedtime reading before your next trip out :D @squimp
Stroft Tippet & Leader Diameter Table
Tippet SizeTippet DiameterApproximate breaking strength in Stroft GTM/ABR (kilos/pounds)Balances with fly sizes:
InchesMillimetreKglb
9x.0025"0.060.701.50
8X.0035"0.081.002.2022 - 28
7X.0040"0.101.403.1018 - 24
6X.0050"0.121.804.0016 - 22
5X.0060"0.152.405.3014 - 18
4X.0075"0.183.006.6012 - 16
3X.0080"0.204.209.206 - 8
2X.0090"0.235.1011.204 - 6
1X.0100"0.256.4014.102 - 6
0X.0110"0.287.3016.001/0 - 4

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I got broke twice using 8lb Korum Barbel Hooklength line. Once when I fell over playing a fish. Once on what was probably a PB under the rod tip. That was 0.28mm so I switched to 0.30mm. It's this stuff now it has been repacked...

Important thing for me is that it breaks before my mainline when snagged so I don't lose a whole rig and it does. Either with 8lb hooklength to 10lb Korum Xpert Reel Line or 10lb hooklength to 12lb Sensor reel line. It is strange stuff, not heard of many others on here using it. It comes off the spool coiled but then straightens out when you run your finger along it. Thinking about it, this happens less since it has been repacked as Reel Line so they might have changed it slightly and not just repackaged their hooklength line.

On the weir I use 0.16 hooklengths and have had Barbel to almost 6lb out comfortably but find they fight less hard on a lighter rod and feeder than I use on the Severn. So 0.16 is probably my next most used along with 0.12 and 0.10 for silvers fishing on the rivers but I still have a lot of line left on those spools.
Zerkalo how on earth can you get broken on 0.28 dia hook length under the rod tip? Not joking that and using 0.16 hook lengths for barbel in a weir pool regardless of the rod does ask a lot of questions.

Barbel need strong tackle 8lb Maxima mics up at 0.27mm and is a very strong reliable line. 10lb mics up at 0.29mm. My standard set up is 8lb Maxima to a 0.24 low dia hook length which is allegedly 14lb however this always breaks before the maxima. On snag pit and I drew on on the Trent where it's hook and hold standard set up is 10lbs Maxima and 8lb Maxima hook length to a very strong size 10 hook, however I would have had no hesitation stepping up to 12lbs and 10lb maxima hook length, noting the reason for using Maxima hook length is it's abrasion resistance against snags as low dia lines aren't anywhere near as durable.

For chub on the feeder set up is 8lbs Technium which is 0.23mm dia to 0.19 dia power line.

On a 12-14ft feeder rod or the correct test curve barbel rod, with the right set up it's very difficult to get broken if you are using the correct set up in relation to the size of fish you will encounter.

I think you need to look at your set up and technique as I've never heard of angler being broken under the rod tip using line that heavy other than by poor angling and I'm amazed that the rod coped with that much abuse