What colour maggots?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What colour maggots do you buy and do you find some colours are better for different species?

I have two tackle shops. One does mixed white and red maggots but quite often has none in stock so I go to another tackle shop that sells mixed maggots. The mix includes white, red, pink, bronze, yellow and BLUE. When I fished more than one maggot on the hook I usually pick ones of different colours to get a multicolour hookbat. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to buy individual colour maggots so I could tailor them to different species but for now I'm happy with multicolour mixed maggots.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Many years ago THE colour was bronze. But we then found the dye was carcinogenic and no one has come up with a safe replacement that has the same intensity of colour. So red has now become the standard go-to colour.

A few years ago I discovered that pale pink fluoro maggot got me a better stamp of roach and quicker bites on a certain stretch of canal. So colour can make a difference. The thing is taking the time to discover what works where on any given day. Red works well because so many people use them that of course they catch the most fish.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
99% red for me. Started using it off advice early on and it's always worked so never felt a need to change. Have used white when there's no red and haven't noticed much difference but had all my best days on red so just stick with even though those best days are probably as a result of the laws of averages as much as red actually being better! Only time I'll pick white deliberately is when sight fishing for the obvious reason that they are easier to spot.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Do people buy them online when buying by the gallon as they do in some matches. If I went into one of my local tackle shops and asked for a gallon of maggots I think they'd look at me like I'm crazy as it would wipe them out of stock.

I've heard whites are better for on the bottom and red better for up in the water as they stand out against either the dark coloured bottom or looking up towards the sky.

As a rough species guide is this right?

Bronze or Yellow - Carp and Bream
Red - Roach and Silvers
White - Perch
Blue - Tench

?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Think the most I've bought in one go is only 4 pints so wouldn't know if I could even buy a gallon down the shop. I'd stick to red, white, bronze maybe yellow if I were you, green would blend in too much for me and blue doesn't strike me as very natural. I wouldn't get that hung up on colours for specific species though I certainly have never noticed a big difference between them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm not sure if I definitely get bronze and pink or if it's just white and yellow ones that have caught a bit of the other one's dye. Always remember flouro pinkies being a hit for gudgeon though, over black groundbait especially.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our local tackle shop, (the only one in the area) only does 3 colours, white, red and bronze. I usually get a mix. I can't even get pinkies here.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you get to buy them in individual colours you're lucky compared to me.

Fritz

Petri Heil! (german angler‘s greeting)
I use only the maggots in their natural color, because in Germany it is forbidden to sell maggots which have been colored. As far as I know maggots belong to our food law because they are feeded to animals which can/will be eaten by humans.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's mad and qute interesting. For some reason I would have expected red and bronze to be popular in Germany.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That strikes me as weird you can often only get them in mixed don’t think I’ve ever been to a shop that doesn’t at least do red or white.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That strikes me as weird you can often only get them in mixed don’t think I’ve ever been to a shop that doesn’t at least do red or white.

I've been looking to get my own maize to store them too as it's just a big tub he has with probably a few gallons of mixed in.

johng19

me@home.com
I always buy reds with a sprinkle of white, just for a hook change. use to always get bronze. Some times I do a few casters, and then i get white.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I haven’t bought mixed in years, think if I did I’d just get paranoid whether I was using the right colour at any given time haha

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone still use Turmeric on maggots? Think that's a Bronze maggot thing most of all.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember trying it on a club match on the Warks Avon. Caught me a solitary big Perch.

Arch

Site Supporter
It depends on where I'm fishing, and what I'm fishing for.

On a river, It's bronzies and a few reds. On a stillwater after Roach and Bream, it's reds, but I'd buy some mixed for a change on the hook. If I'm on a canal, it's squatt and pinkie. Mixed pinkies and red squatts. (Assuming I can get hold of some squatts) Caught plenty on a good old fluro pinkie.

Tend to use Willy Worms for my bait now. Easier to order caster through them than have to order some from my local tackle dealer at the beginning of the week.