What Carp tackle???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Can someone tell me what I need in the rod and reel department to start carp fishing. Any advice on accessries would also be helpful.
Please bear in mind though that I havent won the lottery :)

Frank

doughnut

Hello Frank,

Well there are tons of rods and rells to choose from, I can tell you I've had the most expensive one the market and have benn well unhappy with em, at the moment my rods are Browning rods "The Carp", 89 each at Bennetts aned they are excellent, I have both the 2 & the 2 models and I would say the latter is the better all rounder of the two.
Reels, there are loads again but you might be better off looking for second hand ones if you don't want to spend loads... Shimano 510's, 610's or perhaps even the older 4500's all good reels to be had at a good price second hand.

Have a look on www.anglinglines.co.uk for used gear they have quite a good range, fast delivery and let you know the true condition of the gear they sell.

Hope this is of some help, Robin.

Frank

Thanks Robin its given me a start. I'm a bit wary about buying secondhand tho as I had a bad session with a pole I bought which has cost me as much for a replacement section as it cost for the whole pole
I suppose i cant go wrong with reels tho. Are the baitrunners the best reels for carping or would any fixed spool do?

Frank

doughnut

Alright Frank,

Honestly mate you can trust Angling Lines it really is well run and reliable
I don't have shares in the place honest :)

You can use any good fixed spool rell really but baitrunners are much easier to use, carp really can tear off and if you haven't got it right with an ordinary fied spool reel they can run off with your rod too.... not much fun that!

Let me know if you need any more help!
Good Luck, Robin.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Frank and Robin,

If you are interested in a range of cheap and cheerful Carp Rods, I can recommend the Shimano Hyperloops having just put one through it's paces.
Weight wise they are quite light and well balanced and the action is progressive. The 2.25lb test curve that I used had no trouble at all in turning and pulling a 10lb carp away from a load of bushes and weeds in a snaggy swim.

They also come in 2.5lb, 2.75lb, & 3.0lb TC's, starting from 35ish for the 2.25lb TC and going up by 5 per rod.

I'll see how it copes with 20's and 30's at Sandhurst, Yately next week

Regards, Dave

FAQ: Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts ?
Yes, the 'Subscribe to' feature allows you to subscribe to individual Categories, Forums and Topics. You will receive an e-mail notifying you when a post has been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.