What books did you read as a kid?

commieboy257

Account Locked
as a child reading was compulsory. grandfather was a librarian assistant and my dad taught himself from books having left school at 14.
I had the usual 3 foot tall stack of Enid BLyton before moving onto things like Jeeves by PG Wodehouse. Read the obligatory LOTR (book 2 a cure for insomnia) before settling on the thriller genre by a multitudinous list of authors but these days John Connolley and the spy novels by Mick Herron.
I failed O level english lit by virtue of the fact I refused to read Pride and Prejudice, one of the set tomes, being of the firm beliefs it was 1) sh1te and 2) not suitable for any self respecting 15 year old.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pride and Prejudice. :LOL: This is what I mean when I say Lord of the Flies could have been worse. My brother was really into LOTR and Harry Potter but I've not read them myself.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I remember being read The lion the witch and the wardrobe at junior school and read the rest along with the hobbit and LOR later on.
By the age of fourteen I had discovered the work of Sir leonard Woolley "Digging up the past" and " Ur of the Chaldees" which set me off on my other interest than fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My mate actually works as an Archeologist, sounds like a cracking job.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Our family was book mad. Dad would be at the second hand bookstall every Saturday. I started on the usual Famous Five & Secret Seven, then I got into Tarzan books & later Westerns such as the Edge series. In my teens, I then got into horror.....Stephen King, Graham Masterton & James Herbert. Was told to read Tolkein at school by our English teacher & as somebody else mentioned, I still read LOTR once a year.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I ask him what he digs for and he says mostly Roman stuff in this country. He works for a firm in Bedford.
I only live a ten minute drive from stonehenge, there are so many sites around here, I have found quite a large henge that is unknown but am keeping it to myself for now.
I have spent forty years researching the archeology of Ancient Egypt and Sumer as well as here. I was hoping now Im semi retired to travel and see these places but covid has put that on hold for now.

The Runner

Site Supporter
I failed O level english lit by virtue of the fact I refused to read Pride and Prejudice, one of the set tomes, being of the firm beliefs it was 1) sh1te and 2) not suitable for any self respecting 15 year old.
I had that for O level as well and sympathise fully. I passed, but it left me with a lifelong aversion to 1/ Jane Austen and 2/ any costume drama

For A level one of the set books was Joseph Andrews by Fielding. Never read it and only ever opened it in class- still answered a question on it and got an "A" which I suppose shows how good my English teacher was...
Did "Sons and Lovers" as well. Never liked Lawrence either.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
10,000 Leagues Under The Sea, The War of The Worlds, The Last of the Mohecans, The Dandy Annual and the Eagle Annual.

Sounds very much like my era!
With the addition of The Coral Island by R.M. Balantyne. A tale of three teenage lads stranded on a desert island.
Though some of the language sounds a little archaic these days:

"You and I are to be messmates,and I think we shall be good friends, for I like the look o' you". said Jack.
Jack was right. He and I and Peterkin afterwards became the staunchest friends that ever tossed together on the stormy waves.
:oops:

My reading habits changed after I discovered the catch to a secret drawer in my father's big roll-top desk.
Odd that 'Health and Efficiency' was neither about health nor efficiency.

checker45

Merchant of Venice, Lord of the Flies, Cider with Rosie, Mid Summer Nights Dream as part of curriculum,

The hippy types in the class read Tolkien, we read Joe Hawkins skinhead series,,

One lad turned up with the 'little red book' - the quotations of chairman Mao. Said if you write to Chinese Embassy in London they send it you for free, so just for a laugh a number of us did. Didn't seem so funny when word got round that they turned up at your house as a follow up - obviously a wind up but had a few of us on edge for a while :oops:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I failed O level English Lit because insted of sitting in the Liverpool Playhouse, watching Henry V, a few of us sneaked out for our first ever illicit pint.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
My first 'big reads' at school were the Just William books by Richmal Crompton. These were followed by a few various odds & sods until I discovered Science Fiction and never looked back. (except when time travelling, of course)

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
In Memoriam
For some reason, I could never get into Tolkien. If you like WW2 books have a read of some of Max Hastings - Overlord and Armageddon, I thought, were excellent. I just finished his Korean War book, which, which again was really good.
I'm more into the factual stuff now, find out the truth behind the stories that were suppressed for years.
There is some rerally interesting stuff being revealed about SOE and Bletchley, and the people who thwarted the German response to the D Day landings

Chervil

Site Supporter
I'm more into the factual stuff now, find out the truth behind the stories that were suppressed for years.
There is some rerally interesting stuff being revealed about SOE and Bletchley, and the people who thwarted the German response to the D Day landings
All the Max Hastings books are factual. Whilst I know a fair amount about WW2, I learned a lot about Korea, from his book. Happy Christmas.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Out with Romany - several titles
Tarzan
Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer