what baits can i use when pole fishing ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Smart

Numpty Slayer
Hi,im a junior and find it hard to get maggots when going fishing so is there any other baits i can use i can get pellets from boys lol jelly ones but im fishing 11m and fish for anything,

any baits would be good .

bloomer

fishing monster
luncheon meat, sweetcorn, bread, pellet obviously.

if you can use it on ay other method you can use it on the pole!!!

Cooky

How do you find it hard Jack is the shop to far away ?? if so buy the maggots in bulk when you at the shop and split into smaller bags and freeze for future use

Jack Smart

Numpty Slayer
yeah it in darlington but i live in newton aycliffe but when my mam and dad are at work it is a long walk from the train station lol

Simon R

Site Supporter
Has Quaker Tackle shut down or moved then?
That was just round the corner from Darlo station when I used to work over that way a couple of years back.

Adams ain't that far from the station either - although it is a bit of a hike up North Road to Sammys I must admit.

Simon

minnowmaster209

SPRO/Cralusso
You do like putting 'lol' don't you Jack [:D] You can use anybait for the pole, worm from your backyard even if you have nowere to buy bait from. You can get bait online to mate.

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Get yourself some Hempseed Jack,not the tinned stuff,try your local Pet shop.Cheap bait and will last you ages.Put 3 handfuls in
a pan,cover with water and leave to soak overnight.In the morning bring it to the boil then turn down the heat to a low simmer.
Cook until most seeds are split(around 30 minutes).Use a size 16 or 18 hook and push the bend of the hook into the split of the
seed.Start fishing just off the bottom,adjusting depth until you find where the fish want it.Feed maybe a dozen or so grains every couple of minutes,this is important to keep the fish in your swim.A tip;cover the seeds in your baitbox with water to stop
them drying out.Enjoy some explosive Roach fishing! Don't tell all your mates what you're baggin'up on though,they'll all be at it![:)]

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
you can also use tares, prawns, mussels, paste, you know them sausage shaped meat things you get out the fridge at the super market (forgot what they're called but someone will tell me just now lol) cut one of them into small squares they're excellent bait,just a few more ideas jack try everything see what works for you... good luck.

supersuperleeds

It all depends on what you are targeting. Sweetcorn and prawns are my favourite pole bait; carp, tench and perch love prawns.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Where you thinking Pepperami?

Basically you can fish most things on the hook when pole fishing. Most of the posts above have covered the basics.

Cheap or easy to get/keep baits:
Pellets, worms, sweetcorn, bread, meat, hemp, paste, cat/dog food. Maggots and casters can be kept frozed and used as required, they're not quite the same but they do work!

A lot depends on what you're targeting, but it's still possible to go fishing and catch on less than a few quids worth of bait, and bring the left overs back to freeze and use next time.

fish finder

callum
worms and bread will catch anything that swimms.
you could find something dead or some meat put it outside and you will have maggots crawling out of it in a few weeks.;]

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Originally posted by fish finder

worms and bread will catch anything that swimms.
you could find something dead or some meat put it outside and you will have maggots crawling out of it in a few weeks.;]

Bet your mam and dad will love that [:D][:D]

supersuperleeds

Originally posted by jack smart

thanks guys keep the baits coming lol but how do i present meat and tares

Not sure about tares, but meat you need to have in small cubes and you can put it straight onto the hook, making sure the hook point is visible.

If you are using luncheon meat, cube it up nice and small, chuck a few tablespoons of icing sugar over it and mix it. Leave it a few minutes and it will start leeching its oils and fat. At this point sprinkle with your favourite groundbait, mix up again and shake off the excess groundbait, and away you go.

Jack Smart

Numpty Slayer
okay thanks keep all the baits and tips coming does anyone know about meal worms ???

Dave_blue

Having never frozen Maggots, what are they like when you thaw them out?
Dead I assume [:D] But as they are not moving are they still as effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.