What are you going to do - covid19 and fishing?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
God Knows but i must have upset someone in Authority. Either that or the Report button was Pressed.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Far from it Wise One - the content was inappropriate for the forum, hence the reason one of the moderators removed it.
They then showed it to other moderators who also agreed it was inappropriate.

A lot of your postings lately have sexual undertones, or references, and you are skating on thin ice as far as the moderators are concerned. You know the rules, stick to them and your content won't get deleted :)

Billy the fish 1954

If you get it, what is the advice? Do you keep warm, cool, drink lots of fluids, take any medication?
symptoms shakes sweating urges too check tackle, remedy 4 hours self isolation on the bank, also caught feel a lot better no stress, out local tackle shop will deliver after they close minimum spend a fiver, or if isolated will bring to car park out side, top man is Tom,

If you have your own transport and travel alone, what’s the problem ?
Lots of people out walking this week, early to say but looks like angling will increase with people I've spoken to feeling out in the fresh air is the best place to be with no contact. Home garage to tackle shop,bankside, home again, and wash hands after being in tackle shop, how does that compare to trying to do a shop at the supermarket.

MarkW

I went out fishing earlier this week and had about 40 roach, rudd and skimmers on the pole in a couple of hours. Still got some maggots so going out later today. The wind id ==s a bit keen and the opposite to what it's been for weeks as it's NE not west or south-west.

JayBee

Site Supporter
Things change in a few hours, don't they. I left work on Thursday at 5pm. after an afternoon on a Supermarket checkout, which was not a fun shift by any means.
My wife and I go shopping in same Supermarket, today, Friday morning, for a few items for ourselves and a currently disabled neighbour, bedlam!.
Staff who know me said "what are you doing here?". It turns out that overnight I have been allocated 12weeks off with full pay (2 of which must be counted as holiday) as I am over 70.
Mixed feelings, so sorry for remaining workmates left short staffed at a very difficult time, a very generous and much appreciated gesture from my employers, need to keep a low profile as I am being paid to essentially self isolate. Might have to go fishing to pass time, neighbours to help, but have to minimise/avoid contact.
Very, very strange times.

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Well the weekends here and as long as we dont go into lockdown im gonna enjoy it, oh yes more and more oldies not allowed out:p, pubs will be near empty, suns gonna shine, and after the lovely Ploughmans lunch and pint of Stella tea im beginning to think this Corona Virus is just the ticket :p Shame the rivers are out of season, but hey what if i put on a mask and start coughing if a bailiff decides to show up :unsure: Whatever yer doing enjoy if ya can (y)

Bin wej

I’m still going ..now my matches have stoped I’ll still fish the canals with my lad.....the last 2 weekends I never saw another person , maybe 1 walking a dog.....seems like one of the safest places to be in my opinion......

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'll not stop going unless forced or told not to, after all, who's going to stop a water bailiff from doing his duties? I have other anglers safety to consider I wonder if the police would make a good work party? :unsure: :LOL:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Well the weekends here and as long as we dont go into lockdown im gonna enjoy it, oh yes more and more oldies not allowed out:p, pubs will be near empty, suns gonna shine, and after the lovely Ploughmans lunch and pint of Stella tea im beginning to think this Corona Virus is just the ticket :p Shame the rivers are out of season, but hey what if i put on a mask and start coughing if a bailiff decides to show up :unsure: Whatever yer doing enjoy if ya can (y)
Oops! That’ll be takeaway then :(

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well they said outdoor activities that are either solitary or in family groups are actively encouraged, that sounds like a big thumbs up for fishing!

spark1

Just had a text from my fishing club saying all future competitions (matches) are cancelled until further notice.

The right thing to do and there are quite a few elderly anglers who fish the matches and a few have underlying health issues.

MrTencherson

I think my original question has been answered tonight by Boris, and sadly it means no fishing for quite some time :-( going to be a long few weeks. Really hope its successful and the lock down can be relaxed in a few weeks but I think this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better :-(

Stay safe eveyone

Al

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Had a phone call tonight from club treasurer. All matches on the cubs waters are cancelled till further notice, but will remain open for pleasure anglers. That leaves me with two problems.

1. I have to get up early in the morning and tell those that turn up for the match that the matches are all cancelled. So what's the problem there then you ask? It's the fact that all are over 65 and some are disabled. If I come home without getting thrown in then it'll be a miracle.

2. Because the lakes are still open to pleasure anglers, I still have to do my duties as bailiff and go down every day to make sure all is well. So much for me being safe.

Deep joy. Never mind, I can still wet a line while I'm down there. :giggle:

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Can see you club having a few fines to pay. Water might be going cheap soon. No way can I see that being allowed. would check with the police.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
He did only give examples of exercise can’t see why fishing wouldn’t count, less likely to come within dodgy distance of anyone than you would walking or running.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
One of my clubs has shut all waters, notices going on access gates to car parks ,also changing the combination on the gate locks to stop any irresponsible members trying to fish,
Bailiffs asked to check waters if possible.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
One of my clubs has shut all waters, notices going on access gates to car parks ,also changing the combination on the gate locks to stop any irresponsible members trying to fish,
Bailiffs asked to check waters if possible.

I got an email this morning saying more or less the same thing. I'm printing off some notices as I'm finishing my 1st coffee. Our lakes are gated but there is access (for walkers) via an ancient right of way.

We have over 400 members and been told not to change the locks as replacement keys would be too expensive to replace (they are proper security keys and cost £6.50 a pop).

Also been told to check the lakes (which is what I said last night).

Plus a reminder of what happened the previous 2 or 3 years with some Eastern Europeans laying out lines for the Carp. It could be prime time for those people to return. So got to check each peg for lines.