What are you going to do - covid19 and fishing?

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I went today. My wife is in the at risk category (serious illness) but under 60. I’m her full time carer so need to be very careful when I go out and generally get one daytime session per week as my only ‘time off’. One other person on the lake was on the other side, by prior arrangement I put the exact peg fee in an envelope and left it behind me (2m) for the bailiff. drove both ways without stopping, pretty low risk all round. Very beneficial to my mental health and well-being. Caught a few as well!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
As long as we don't end up with total lockdown like some European countries, then it will be ok to keep fishing with some common sense. I don't think this country will go for full lockdown, because we haven't lost control of the situation and overwhelmed the health service before any social distancing measures were put in place, unlike in Europe where they have. It is expected that 80% of the population will become infected in every country. Our policy seems to be allowing just enough freedom to keep the numbers from spiking too highly and to ringfence the old and vulnerable until enough of the population has been exposed to it and built up immunity , and hopefully the NHS can stay on top of it. So we will probably continue to be allowed out of our homes, but with social distancing. Going fishing, going for a run or a walk all boost the spirit and I'm sure they will be encouraged.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If I go fish the canal on a normal day I’d very rarely get a person pass within 2 metres of me so under the current circumstances I doubt I’ll get anyone within 200 metres, how much more distancing do you need lol

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I'm going to give it a go tomorrow not been on the bank since Oct/18. All the wife's activities have been cancelled so don't need to taxi her about as she's just had cataract surgery getting the other eye done end of the month. Going to give this place a go about 20min drive.
Hopefully might catch a few.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I wasn't commenting on fishing - just in general. Keep 3 steps apart in queues etc.

I've already had to advise two people at work to stop advancing towards me when I take a step back (I'm in a higher risk group).

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
If I go fish the canal on a normal day I’d very rarely get a person pass within 2 metres of me so under the current circumstances I doubt I’ll get anyone within 200 metres, how much more distancing do you need lol
Have you tried the canal near kidlington, ? Seen some nice accessible stretches around there.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@sly and myself are off to Aston Lakes (Sheffield) on the 28th. I just hope those little furry things called rats keep their distance, we don't want to infect them little darlings. :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@warrington63 no Kidlington is not on my club ticket so haven’t fished there. Used to fish at enslow but if I go now it’ll be Kirtlington as it’s closer to me and is very sheltered which is pretty essential given the near constant wind we’ve had for the last 4-5 months. Saw some fish topping down there last weekend for the first time since October so I think it’s finally worth fishing again.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Our Gert says a Full lock down where ya cant go out at all is the only time she'd trust me to tie her to the Bed ;);) I hope it dont get to that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mikeb511

Site Supporter
NO match fishing for me i am 66 and My wife is in the at risk category serious ill so that is it :mad:(n)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No I wouldn’t risk match fishing but I’ll be almost certainly alone on the canal and have miles of it to play with. Even when it’s warm enough for my local Stillwater the swims are at least a good 25 yards apart and I’d imagine the numbers will be down anyway so likely to be a good 50 yards from any other angler.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
As Long as we can i will be Packing my Ruck bag, putting my walking Boots on and me and Four Paws will be enjoying some Great surroundings.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
@warrington63 no Kidlington is not on my club ticket so haven’t fished there. Used to fish at enslow but if I go now it’ll be Kirtlington as it’s closer to me and is very sheltered which is pretty essential given the near constant wind we’ve had for the last 4-5 months. Saw some fish topping down there last weekend for the first time since October so I think it’s finally worth fishing again.
I was around kirtlington last week, then ended up at Annie's Kitchen on the canal bank.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Just been asked for volunteers to take annual leave at work, so now I got 2 weeks holiday from saturday, lots of fishing coming up :D

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
@sly and myself are off to Aston Lakes (Sheffield) on the 28th. I just hope those little furry things called rats keep their distance, we don't want to infect them little darlings. :LOL:
oh,but infecting each other is ok then :unsure: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I think i'll give it a miss, as its going tonight any form of me trying to have a laugh gets Stumped.