What are you going to do - covid19 and fishing?

MrTencherson

While I understand the gravity of the situation and the need to protect the old and venerable I do feel a bit sad that I probably won't be able to go fishing for many months now since current 'advice' is to avoid travel and i'm sure this will soon be 'you must not travel'.

I know this sounds selfish (because it is) but i really do enjoy my fishing and always look forward to the weekend so i can get on the bank for a couple of hours (it's like therapy, great for my mental health). I had a fishing holiday booked for Easter (will be cancelled) and just bought a new season ticket (dunno if it'll get used now) and on the news they're saying this could go on for 18 months :-0 So i'm feeling a bit glum.

First and foremost I hope you and your families are well and continue to stay that way. But out of interest, is anyone still going fishing? Or will you heed the government advice and put your tackle away for the foreseeable? Personally I don't see the harm in me getting in my car and sitting on my own at a lake in the fresh air, in fact i'm tempted to ignore advice and get in a last session this weekend if the fishery is still open and the government haven't imposed tougher rules yet.

ho hum

AL

Total

Site Supporter
While I understand the gravity of the situation and the need to protect the old and venerable I do feel a bit sad that I probably won't be able to go fishing for many months now since current 'advice' is to avoid travel and i'm sure this will soon be 'you must not travel'.

I know this sounds selfish (because it is) but i really do enjoy my fishing and always look forward to the weekend so i can get on the bank for a couple of hours (it's like therapy, great for my mental health). I had a fishing holiday booked for Easter (will be cancelled) and just bought a new season ticket (dunno if it'll get used now) and on the news they're saying this could go on for 18 months :-0 So i'm feeling a bit glum.

First and foremost I hope you and your families are well and continue to stay that way. But out of interest, is anyone still going fishing? Or will you heed the government advice and put your tackle away for the foreseeable? Personally I don't see the harm in me getting in my car and sitting on my own at a lake in the fresh air, in fact i'm tempted to ignore advice and get in a last session this weekend if the fishery is still open and the government haven't imposed tougher rules yet.

ho hum

AL

Keep on fishing, just use your savvy. (y) .....Regards to you and yours...(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ll 100% still be going fishing. Travelling alone in your own car and sitting in the open air at least 30 yards from anyone else has got to be one of the safest places to be. Very unlikely to catch it during a brief visit the tackle shop, certainly much less likely than supermarkets which are obviously unavoidable. I think once the pubs close (days away I suspect) fishing will be the only thing to keep me sane as I suspect this’ll go on for a good 6 weeks before it starts to die down.

MrTencherson

Well I suppose the travel thing is only 'advice' at the moment and not an 'order' as such.

I imagine 'avoiding travel' could be aimed mostly at city folk (public transport) and to be fair the biggest spreaders have gotta be kids in school (i got 2 of them) and both schools have staff & pupils self-isolating so clearly doing the rounds through the schools.

I like all your positivity and you've convinced me to continue fishing until the powers that be say I can't.

JRW

Site Supporter
Boris didn’t make his intentions clear enough when he announced the ‘only essential travel ‘ diktat.

It’s currently OK for everybody to travel to work so that means it must be OK for me to drive to B&Q and Screwfix to buy non-essential things otherwise there would be no point in those workers being there if their customers couldn’t travel.

Same applies to commercial fisheries, if they’re open for business and I’m not infected I will be going.

I’ve noticed some TV journalists have interpreted that Boris was meaning avoid travel on public transport.

Agree with Silverfisher, there’s not many safer places than a fishery.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
One of the few activities where crowds do not generally gather, self isolation is often desired by default, and the risk of contracting or infecting is minimised. I'm far more at risk of catching something nasty from some fishery toilets.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Boris didn’t make his intentions clear enough when he announced the ‘only essential travel ‘ diktat.
I think that the info from the government has been very vague, if you self isolate because of a cough, how do you get tested at the end of isolation if you still have the cough? The problem with 'advisory' measures is that some people will use it as an excuse for a holiday, some will be sensible and some will ignore it in a 'gung ho' fashion. When faced with a problem like this people need to be told. Imagine in 1914 - 18 if the CO had said "we are advising you to go over the top and stab some enemy soldiers with your bayonet" what would the response have been?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem I see with 'telling someone' is you have made the decision for them and if that decision is wrong then in this mad litigious world we live in you are open to legal action.
If you advise them then it is them that are making the decision albeit based upon your advice.

You can see it now, twelve months down the line and the lawyers will be coming out with a string of reasons why you should be able to make a claim.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I’m waiting for the lockdown it’s bound to come at some point possibly at Easter, until then I’m still at work until Friday.
As of Monday I’m working from home so until we are locked down told to stay at home my fishing goes on.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I just seen a Dead Mosquito on my Tackle bag, well seen as every death is Getting blamed on Corona, this is a good sign (y)

Rod Anne Reel

My dad is over 70 lives on his own and is reluctantly staying indoors but to stop him going mad I’ve actually encouraging him to get out and go fishing a day or two. He fishes a lake where you hardly ever see anybody, and I’ve told him to simply drive straight there, fish and drive straight home. Fishing will keep him sane at least until staying at home is compulsorily.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I still would like to see the figures of the deaths so far.
How and where did they catch it.
Have they been abroad in last 2 months
Can’t seen to find any info on that