What are 'they' up to these days?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Does anyone still keep in touch with their fishing buddies of bygone days, you know the ones, the phone would ring on a Wednesday or Thursday evening "Where we orf this weekend then?" booming down the line and the missus shouting from the other room "Is that <enter name> again? Don't forget you promised to take me to <enter place> at the weekend, you're not going fishing again are you?" as though you'd just walked in the door from the last trip ;)

You tell your mate she's going off on one again and you'll call him back later, just sort sommat owt ;)
Phone goes down and almost like magic she's heard every word you've said, read your thoughts, know's what's been said on the other side, and the slipper starts tapping the carpet in sync with the bottom lip looking for an argument :roflmao:

I digress, where's your fishing buddies of old these days .....

:)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Fishing, Drinking and Holidaying with my Mates has never been a Problem with my Gert, she knows if im off with my mates im off no matter so theres no point making a Fuss as it will not make any difference. As for old Fishing Buddies i still fish with em now and again on matches even my oldest fishing Buddy of 30 odd years rang me Last week about getting his sen some Barbel gear for next year.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sadly Dave I lost my childhood Bezzy angling mate to a car crash when we were in our early twenties. I still think about him and wonder how things would have been. A cracking angler. I always felt like I was playing catch-up while fishing with him. A real nice lad that passed way before his time. RIP Tony mate. ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Sadly Dave I lost my childhood Bezzy angling mate to a car crash when we were in our early twenties. I still think about him and wonder how things would have been. A cracking angler. I always felt like I was playing catch-up while fishing with him. A real nice lad that passed way before his time. RIP Tony mate. ?

Years ago me and a Couple of Mates used to fish Boston Spa and met up with a Lad on the Bus who had a bit of a Mental illness, we let him Tag along with us for years although he was older, one day he went on his own when the river was Flooded lets just say he didnt come back. :cry::cry: I often see images of the Crazy sod (meant in a nice way) when i stand on the Boston Road bridge.

rudd

Site Supporter
Best fishing buddy I had was my Father in law who sadly passed away this year.
Unfortunately my (still) best mate never fished and old mates who did - no contact these days.
Occasionally do bump into an old face which is always nice.

squimp

Site Supporter
My teenage fishing mate left the local comp and got a basic job at Tesco’s HQ.

He ended up being PA to the head of M&S and then working in finance. He is now a tax exile in Bermuda! He has his own big game boat.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I sadly don’t keep in touch with any of my fishing buddies. I used to fish the local winter league back in the 90’s in a team. My travelling mate Sadly was lost to cancer a fair few years ago, and with my business taking up more of my time I stopped fishing for a few years. Moved house and got back into it with the upper Bristol Avon just 1/2 mile up the lane. Fish a few matches on my local commercial and see a few old faces now and again, but the match fishing is not what it used to be in this area.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
In the 70's four of us (Me. Steve, Dick and Pete) all belonged to the same club and would travel miles to matches or just a days fishing. We used to go over to Lanesborough every year during the Close Season and stay for 2 weeks at the Lough Ree Arms. It was a golden time for the venue, the warm water from the power station drawing huge numbers of Tench & Bream to that stretch of the Shannon above the road bridge. Always fantastic fishing along with memorable nights spent in the bar. Unfortunately in 1982 Pete suffered a massive heart attack at work and passed away. After that the remaining three of us never returned, it just didn't seem right.
Steve & Dick packed up fishing shortly after and we lost touch.

For the last twenty years a huge amount of my fishing has revolved around MD's and friendships I've made through the forums and long may that continue. :upthumb:

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
48 years ago when i was just a teenager and fished with our local club there was a couple of other lads about my age that used to go to our club matches and we had a good couple of years fishing together then women came into play marriage and kids so we gradually drifted apart and went our own ways.We still used to see one and other around town but not on the bank.
When the lockdown started in March i had just retired and when we could go fishing again in April/May i went to our local pond one Wednesday for the day and i met my old mate Pete who was fishing so i set up in the next peg {socially distanced} we where catching a few fish and generally chat about our fishing over the last 40+years so we really had a good old catch up.
So from then we went fishing midweek as Pete is also now retired and enjoying all the stories and people long past from all those years ago and another bonus is that our wives are friends so it's not so hard to get out for a few hours on the bank.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Still see many of them, those that are still alive and still fishing.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Trying to sort a pike fishing outing with one of my oldest fishing pals, another one I haven’t been fishing with for 5 or 6 years, the other packed up fishing 20 years ago.

Total

Site Supporter
Still regularly chat with most of fishing mates on a weekly basis either on the phone or via text.....Sadly as the years pass our numbers get fewer.....But never forgotten....:)

alsur

Site Supporter
Normally go out for a meal once or twice a year with a few, meet up with a few work mates every month or so used to go fishing with a couple of those one was a teammate of mine.

R0B

Me too. 20 years ago, lost my best mate who was also a long standing fishing pal since we were 12. He was 28.
I still visit our old haunts when I am ever in the area and have cast a line or two in his honour. A terrible thing we never really get over.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
My best mate from school died of cancer in his thirties. We used to fish all the time when we were at school and before we got serious girlfriends. When I started back fishing ten years ago I used to go with a mate from AA. He went off to be a C of E vicar and doesn’t have time anymore but we keep in touch.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have only had one fishing buddy. A lad I went to school with and worked with. In our early 20s we used to fish together every weekend. He went down the match group route while I stayed very much a club and pleasure angler.

Unfortunately his desire for money overcame his sense and he was sacked from the bank. I heard recently that he had died in his 50s.

Today I am very happy with my own company hence my love of my pleasure days. I do enjoy the club match days but sometimes yearn for the solitude of a cold canal bank in mid Winter.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
im back fishing with people i last fished with 15+ years ago as ive moved back to essex now and fishing with old friends and team mates alike

nejohn

Site Supporter
I lost touch with the lads and older guys I fished with in my youth when I got married and moved up north (from Durham to Newcastle) and then later moved away from the North east. I often wonder if they are all still fishing as there were some very good anglers in that group. Sadly though some of the older guys will have passed away by now including my travelling partner of about 5 years who was around 50 years old in the early 80's he was a lovely guy that always had a smile on his face and had time for everyone.....Happy days