what are casters .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko williams

'duk boy'
what are casters and do they come in water?? are tyhey simillar to maggots?? What are pinkies??

your wife must like maggots!!

Beebs

Is this a wind-up?

Datafile3.asp

Lid

HI Jacko

Casters are the chrysalis stage of the maggot and a true caster has only recently turned so it still sinks. As they mature they become buoyant and float.

I remember using casters that had turned in my maggot box in about 1970 when I was 9. At that time it appeared to be a novelty, at least where I was fishing, which was Aeroplane Reach on the Thames in Port Meadow in Oxford.

Does anyone know when casters first became an accepted bait?

Lid in Antigua, Land of Sea and Sun [:)]

Last edited:

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by jacko williams

what are casters and do they come in water?? are tyhey simillar to maggots?? What are pinkies??

Jacko,

If you promise to be good and sit still you can have your first lecture at Cefnmabley on Sunday.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
Hi, you cant have been fishing long so ill tell you.
As said, casters are the chrysalis form of maggots, the ones that sink are usually a light bronze clour, the darkr they are, the more bouyant they are. Casters are a really good bait for most speacies, and tend to sort out the better fish, roach, perch, bream, carp, tench-the list goes on!
Pinkies are a smaller version of the maggot, slightly larger than squatts though, pretty good on cold winter days when the goings tough, tend to buy you a bite. Hope this helps

J.Tolley

jacko williams

'duk boy'
buger!! geoff i asked my paernts if i could come , but im at the races (5 an hour!!) but im fishing the horse shoe lake tommorrow!!!

my bait is

*worm
*caster
*bread
*corn
*dog biscuits

i will be float fishing !! (my fav method)

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Hiya Jacko, To add a little bit more.....If a maggot is the larva from the "bluebottle" fly......A "pinkie" is the larva from the "greenbottle" fly..........A "squat"(which is even smaller than a pinkie) is the larva of the common "housefly" ..........and they all turn to "caster" or chrysallis before they hatch into a fly. By the way folks I was using "caster" as far back as 1958, but then it was because I had used all my maggots and still wanted to carry on fishing. Has anyone tried two "floaters" over a bed of hemp and caster, so that they lift just off the bottom, try it it works !!

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

anyexcuse

When everyone wakes up, I'll email you an article I read a few years ago for making the perfect casters. If I do it now I'll make too much noise rummaging in the cupboard

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

Status
Not open for further replies.