Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Image may contain: one or more people
No photo description available.
The Diary Of A Fen Angler
·
***Heads up for local clubs and anglers***
All local clubs and local anglers please keep your eyes open when your out on the banks this weekend !! The club bailiffs from Holbeach & District Angling Club caught a couple of people removing roach from the south holland main drain today (friday) .. police and EA have been informed and the people in question banned from the water

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some decent Roach there. Apparently quite a common thing in Eastern European culture, putting the fish in plastic bags and keeping them. :(

lp1886

Site Supporter
It’s behaviour like this that drives people to discriminate against Eastern European’s!!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That sight is sickening. What beautiful fish. As Wise Owl says ..... Makes my pee boil. ?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
You're allowed to remove and keep fish to eat from rivers providing you keep in line with the rules provided by the EA, no?
I understand that you're not allowed to do it on stretches which is ran by a club, so why do it there and risk getting in the trouble when you can do it elsewhere legally?It's not like Roach are rare in rivers, weird. Is the real issue here them not having a rod license?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
putting the fish in plastic bags and keeping them. :(
I re read "match fishing to win" by Billy Lane, in it there were some old photos of world championships, all these anglers lined up, and not a single keepnet out. Poor fishing?, no, this may explain it.
IMG_20190901_153215.jpg
When the greens won and took power in Germany, they banned putting fish back, so you had to kill them (rumour has it), pretty sure they don't have matches in Germany now. So possibly not a culture thing, but sticking to rules they know?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's interesting. I don't discriminate because of it. Just has been a common complaint from fishery owners near me, with some even stating to me, make sure you put the fish back because there have been lots taking fish out and putting in bags.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You may recall a few years ago a fishery owner ending up in the press for putting a big sign up banning Eastern European’s due to him having problems with them taking fish. Used to be one of my regular venues but then when he got the bad press it went syndicate and it wasn’t good enough to make it worth joining it. My view was that by all means take measures to protect your assets but don’t do it in a blatantly discriminatory way!

TrickyD

Site Supporter
You may recall a few years ago a fishery owner ending up in the press for putting a big sign up banning Eastern European’s due to him having problems with them taking fish. Used to be one of my regular venues but then when he got the bad press it went syndicate and it wasn’t good enough to make it worth joining it. My view was that by all means take measures to protect your assets but don’t do it in a blatantly discriminatory way!
It's only a small minority of EE "fishermen" (not anglers) that take fish, they also take wildfowl, including swans, the majority of them are anglers who wouldn't dream of taking fish, and I doubt whether any English/British angler would take coarse fish to eat. So although he may have been pilloried in the press, he was most likely correct in his assumption of their origin.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m sure he probably was correct in his assumption probably based off catching them in the act but surely just bailifing it more vigilantly would have been better than putting a sign up that harks back to the days of the no blacks no Irish signs.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
It's only a small minority of EE "fishermen" (not anglers) that take fish, they also take wildfowl, including swans, the majority of them are anglers who wouldn't dream of taking fish, and I doubt whether any English/British angler would take coarse fish to eat. So although he may have been pilloried in the press, he was most likely correct in his assumption of their origin.

Out of curiosity, where are you getting the statistics that only a small minority are taking fish? From what I've seen the majority of Eastern European who fish will take fish to eat, It's second nature to them as it seems removing and eating course fish is the norm where they're from, I've always assumed that they saw fishing as a day out, And to eat their catch as an added bonus. On my local we always get Eastern Europeans coming past and asking if you're allowed to remove fish in which I tell them no, Along with diverting them down to the gate where the rules are written.

I have no issue with this of course, And I have no issue with taking fish from rivers even in the UK either providing you pay for a license, not too heavily impacting stocks & you're doing it legally and not stealing.

Edit; Just to confirm I have no source regarding how many actually take fish they catch, I'm just going by what I've personally seen on the bank. Just wondering if it's the same for you.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Out of curiosity, where are you getting the statistics that only a small minority are taking fish? From what I've seen the majority of Eastern European who fish will take fish to eat, It's second nature to them as it seems removing and eating course fish is the norm where they're from, I've always assumed that they saw fishing as a day out, And to eat their catch as an added bonus. On my local we always get Eastern Europeans coming past and asking if you're allowed to remove fish in which I tell them no, Along with diverting them down to the gate where the rules are written.

I have no issue with this of course, And I have no issue with taking fish from rivers even in the UK either providing you pay for a license, not too heavily impacting stocks & you're doing it legally and not stealing.

Edit; Just to confirm I have no source regarding how many actually take fish they catch, I'm just going by what I've personally seen on the bank. Just wondering if it's the same for you.
What I was trying to say was that not all people from Eastern Europe will take fish, some go fishing for sport, but most fish thefts are most likely from EE fishermen, as Brits would not want to eat coarse fish, they may have the odd trout if they happened to come along though (and very tasty too).

Simon90

I've fished in Serbia. Most of the day ticket venues I have been on have either an allowance of 1kg of fish included in the price of a day ticket or the option to pay extra to take up to 1kg of fish away with you. Many of the locals consider eating some of the fish you catch all part of fishing.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Not so very long ago the size limits on fish you may take for the table were designed to protect young (ie small) fish - so for instance taking a couple of double figure carp from a river for your tea was perfectly legal.
Fortunately the EA reacted to these antiquated size limits and the regulations now state:
Each day you can only take from rivers:
  • 1 pike (up to 65cm)
  • 2 grayling (30cm to 38cm)
  • 15 small fish (up to 20cm) including barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, rudd, silver bream, roach, smelt and tench

A 20cm roach (8" approx) will probably weigh 6-8oz so some of the roach in the picture might just be under the size limit, although I think there's probably more than 15 fish in any case. You can't be charged with theft for removing fish from rivers as nobody actually owns them, although all fish within enclosed stillwaters do belong to somebody - riparian owner, controlling club etc - and therefore any removal, without permission, of fish from these waters would be construed as theft - good luck in getting the CPS to progress the case though.

Simon

Silver fan 82

Disgraceful!
So maybe in eastern European culture this is commonplace but in this country its not.
The long and short of it is don't do it, when in Rome and all that.

Gwillim

Agree that it is a complete waste of some lovely looking fish and that for me personally it is wrong.

But having said that, I would just point out that this is not just an Eastern European thing, Germany, France and Spain are all big coarse fish eaters and only the other night watching "Chef's Brigade" on BBC 2 with Jason Atherton showed fish dishes from France using coarse fish, people in these countries have Roach, Perch, Pike, Carp and more served up in their local eateries on a regular basis, so it may not be just Eastern Europeans who take fish for the table.

But as has been said if they are doing so outside of the EA regulations then it is wrong.