What a Waste of Casters !

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
This morming I bought two pints of fresh casters. In sealed, almost vacuum-packed bags, because I was told they were the only winning bait on the pond.

Late as usual for the "off", I chucked out a maggot feeder, and had a 3lb ide within 30 seconds. I stayed with the maggot feeder, and went on NOT to win the match. As you do.[:(]

But - those casters, how can I keep them till next weekend?

Leave them in their sealed bags in the fridge?

Take 'em out, leave 'em in the fridge with a bit of wet newspaper on top?

Freeze 'em ?

Any sure-fire method, guys?

I know I'm being a bit naughty here, as this possibly belongs in the Bait Talk section. But I guess more people look in here first, and hell, I paid five quid for them casters! [8D]

sladey

leave them in the bag and keep them cool, i'd personally buy fresh ones next weekend though, but keeping them in an air tight bag should see them stay 'sinkers'.

stemlfc

Steve
If i'm honest, i don't think you can keep them but i'm unsure.
I have kept them when bought fresh and they turn into floaters.
I froze them but it didn't work.
So i would cancel out freezing them mate.

midge99

The best bet if get a resealable bag, store them in a fridge, twice a day take them out a rinse them. when you put them back in the bag ensure you take all the air out or as much as possible.

I did this last time I went to White acres and they kept for the whole week.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Stick them in another bag with some salty water for a while (or a little white vinegar), then drain off the water and reseal them and keep them in the fridge.
Works for me, seems to stop them floating.
If they do float, just use them in a choppy mix next match and get some fresh for the hook.

Always wondered though, how they would work in a pellet pump!?
Never tried it, anyone on here tried???

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
The shop I used to work in would only get caster in as ready turned if we were forced to by not judging demand properly or some other such calamity. When we did they came in vacuum bags, and to be honest they stank were full of dead skins, and floaters and were of such poor quality that the only other time we were caught out like this we actually went round other shops buying their caster to sell on often at a loss as ours were normally cheaper. But at least we were selling much better quality than the ones we got that one time from the maggot farm. I hope yours were of better quality.

gaz66

i use a pellet pump.
place casters in pellet pump(no water)
suck air out,place in fridge.
Take out twice a day and add water
(dont use pump)drain water after half an hour.
Replace lid and suck air out, back to fridge.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I would say that the short answer is you cant pleasurenut. Just give them to someone who is going to fish in the week.
If you are going to try then you must remove all the skins because its those that will cause your bait to stink initaily.
Get yourself a metal tray or even better if you have it a peice of stainless steel. Prop it up at 45 degrees into an old bowl and wet it with an atomiser and then roll your casters down it. Do it bit by bit and you will find the skins stick to the steel and the caster.s dont.
One thing mate. You say you have bought them in sealed bags. That being the case, check them for bag burn first and if they have it then bin them anyway, dont waste your time because they have already been in that bag for at least 5 days.

Last edited:

rodring

Account Locked
get a bottle of tap water leave in fridge overnight put casters in airtight bag rinse casters every couple off days put back into bottom of fridge salad drawer if you can will keep for up to two weeks done it with up to a gallon a few times dont use water straight from the tap it taints them

mouse77

You have got two options:

1. Feed them to the birds.

2. throw them in the bin.

You can not keep casters for a week without them either floating or turning sour.

pool_fodder

Put them in a bait tub in the fridge and cover them with water, change it every 2 days, or put them in an old stocking and put them in the toilet system. They will keep

simon d

You can freeze them,just make sure they are covered in water. I have done it myself on a few occasions and used them after and had no problems although it does change the colour of them a bit.
Saying that,personally i prefer fresh bait everytime.

bigdavewsf

like simon says you can freeze them if they are covered in water, i rinse the water out of them a couple of times as it makes the water go black, they are not that great on the hook though, they are more fragile so you need to be a bit carefull, i only tend to use frozen as a feed rather than hook bait

hempy

Alan
Casters can be preserved by soaking them in a solution of sodium metabisulphite....They smell a little but the fish still luv em.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.