What a sentencing JOKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Lincolnshire Echo.

The fiance of a talented Lincolnshire artist who died after being hit by a car has condemned the sentence imposed on the driver.

Carl Marriott, 36, was knocked off his bicycle as he cycled home along the B1209 to Leasingham on October 2, 2008.

Glen Marshall, who was driving the car, was charged with causing death by careless driving and sentenced to 200 hours of community service and a one year driving ban by Grantham Magistrates' Court.

Speaking exclusively to the Echo Mr Marriott's fiance, and mother of his three-year-old daughter, Vanessa Willetts said: "When it happened I heard the sirens a few hundred yards from my house and the pit of my stomach went. I just knew something was wrong.

"When I found out the sentence I just thought it was insulting to the whole family, I was totally disgusted.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
It beggars belief frankly.[:(]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm with dogstick here, we don't know the circumstances and it could well have been just an accident. Quite frankly the way some cyclist behave on the road I'm suprised we don't hear of more being knocked off and killed.
Only yesterday I saw some idiot on a bike, no helmet, and hell bent on cutting up every motorist charging up the inside of cars, cutting across the front of them and then shooting a red light - and he wasn't a youth

john83

Account Locked
can see dogsticks point, we dont know the facts, the real shame is a lady left without a husband and a child without a dad. a lot of cyclists are accidents waiting to happen too, I see them doing dodgy stuff on the roads al the time.

Col7777

Got to agree to a certain extent but the original post did say he was sentenced for 'Careless' driving it just could have been the motorist's fault.

On the side of the other posters we have all seen too many times bad cyclists and bad drivers, I've rode my bike to work and encountered the odd bad driver and I try to ride safe.
When I've been driving I've also encountered the odd bad cyclist, and wonder how they have managed to stay alive.

"charged with causing death by careless driving" Is what he got found guilty of !!

Careless driving is a lesser charge, it's not the same.

zhorian

facts or no facts the point is a cyclist is extremely vulnerable and all motorist should be alert to cyclists irrespective of the dumb stunts that some of them pull .... crikey as a motorist you've got a lethal weapon weighing a ton or more ... what does the cyclist have ? ... as for sentencing then personally I'm in favour of the more mediaeval forms for this type of 'accident' ... the stocks for a year, catt o nine tails .. you name it then if the spanish inquisition had got then I'm in favour ....

paul14

Originally posted by zhorian

facts or no facts the point is a cyclist is extremely vulnerable and all motorist should be alert to cyclists irrespective of the dumb stunts that some of them pull .... crikey as a motorist you've got a lethal weapon weighing a ton or more ... what does the cyclist have ? ... as for sentencing then personally I'm in favour of the more mediaeval forms for this type of 'accident' ... the stocks for a year, catt o nine tails .. you name it then if the spanish inquisition had got then I'm in favour ....
that lethal weapon i drive has got tax,mot and insurance nuff said....paul[}:)][}:)]

john83

Account Locked
not all cyclists are dodgy on the road, but a lot are, personally I think they should be on the pavement. end of the day safety on the road is more important than people wanting to cycle. theres a huge cycle lane at least 5 miles long round here, meaning the roads are a lot more narrow, that causes accidents as it is, but the amount of cyclists i see refusing to use it and still cycling on the road is astonishing.

smallfry

Account Locked
Did'nt some brain dead organisation want to bring in a law 2 weeks ago ,where ALL motorists involved in accidents with bikes were to be blamed for it WHATEVER the circumstances ?the worlds gone mad!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Lazarus
Originally posted by Dave

I'm with dogstick here, we don't know the circumstances and it could well have been just an accident. Quite frankly the way some cyclist behave on the road I'm suprised we don't hear of more being knocked off and killed.
Only yesterday I saw some idiot on a bike, no helmet, and hell bent on cutting up every motorist charging up the inside of cars, cutting across the front of them and then shooting a red light - and he wasn't a youth
Totally agree with you Dave.I was over took last Saturday morning while waiting at road work light's' by 2 adult cyclists they passed all the waitng cars & went straight over the red light. At the fast speed they were coming down a hill they couldn't have stopped if a car had come the other way.
Also an expensive cycle path was put on the Studley Road no cyclist's use it .
They prefer to cylce on the pavement in the dark no lights on ,no head gear ,no reflective wear to seen .
I was walking along the Studley road Wednesday night in the dark at factory knocking of time it was like playing dodgems with the cyclists on the foot path.
Mostly adult cyclists at that.

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
I would love to see cyclists prosecuted for riding at night without lights,
an on the spot instant fine of at least 20.00p. would help to swell the Government coffers,
but no its a case of harrass the motorist while these selfish careless cretins get away with breaking the law. [V] [:(!] [:(!]

Harry.

Notts Breamer

Dave PD
If he was charged with and found guilty of careless driving, then surely it's the drivers fault the cyclist lost his life, and community service for that is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.