What a ruddy morning

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The wife noticed, a few weeks ago, a couple of ‘blebs’ in the laminate floor in the kitchen. She was sure it was a water leak. I stated, categorically, that it couldn't be, because there were no pipes under the floor. Woke up yesterday morning to half an inch of water coming up between the planks. Found a leak behind a kitchen cabinet which had run under the laminate and pooled in the middle of the floor. Plumber came out, fixed the leak and we spent the rest of the day lifting the ruined floor and mopping up. A dehumidifier is still running, as I write, to help with the drying out.

IMG-20220114-WA0002.jpeg IMG-20220114-WA0000.jpeg

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
We were slightly worried about the same thing in our kitchen, but ours is that cushion floor stuff. Big bubbles appearing over a couple of days. Plumber called, no leaks found, another chap come out to check for damp floor..nope. Turned out that the cushion floor was glued down and the glue had failed. Mind you, it has been down for 8 years and I daren't pull it up to try and glue it back down.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A
Bummer,that's going to be a costly repair.☹️

It’s insured but I don’t think it’s worth claiming as there is a €900 excess on water damage. Plus, if I claim, they will sting me with premium increases for the rest of my life😰

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
That's a sickener Dave. Dehumidifier will be important to dry the place out. Older houses will have heating & plumbing pipes in the slab.
Heating pipes will be running down the guts of the hallway & heating\plumbing pipes will travel into the hotpress too.
Give as many pipe joints you have access to a check by running your finger around the joints with a head torch on so you can check your finger for dampness.
Hopefully you won't find anything & you can put everything back together again. Radiator joints are the worst offenders for this sort of thing as sometimes the water runs down the back of the pipe & down under the floor!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Sorry to read of your woes Dave at least you found the leak and can begin the restoration. Still on top of all the work you put it on the dining room recently, it must seem never ending. When it's all sorted tell the (Gorgeous) Good Lady that Kev say's I deserve a day at Inniscarra. :upthumb:

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
I would never have laminate in a kitchen as your asking for trouble. Replace with tiles and buy a pair of slippers.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We were slightly worried about the same thing in our kitchen, but ours is that cushion floor stuff. Big bubbles appearing over a couple of days. Plumber called, no leaks found, another chap come out to check for damp floor..nope. Turned out that the cushion floor was glued down and the glue had failed. Mind you, it has been down for 8 years and I daren't pull it up to try and glue it back down.

That was your wallet you were tripping on. 🤣🤣

Sorry to hear of your problem Dave. Don’t rush to get the new flooring down though. Make sure it’s 100% dry first. I made that mistake. Nearly ended up doing the new flooring twice. 🙄.

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Should have sealed it all off let the water get to about 4 foot filled it with fish ............never have to leave the house ...............sorted