What a mess!!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Good luck arch, hope you don’t have to go through all that grief again

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
You and your wife need to sit down and get some pretty strict rules in place, so that you are both reading off the same page and then stick to them. You don’t want a repeat of last time Arch. It sounds like lockdown was an answered prayer for you. The SIL will be running out of friends very rapidly, and all that is left then is family, so stand your ground, you might not be so lucky a second time. Good luck Arch. Look on the bright side, she is not coming back to yours and you surely deserve a Barbel or 2 this year.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Well, I must have killed a nest of Robins, I really must.

Towards the back end of last year, the SIL went for a little "break" to some friends down south. Only for a couple of weeks, but while there, we went into lockdown again. Brilliant, she now had to stay down there. It was all going swimmingly up until this weekend why my missus got a call off her sister. The couple she has been living with have told her to leave, they've given her till the 1st of June to move out. All amicable apparently, yeah right. Dog trouble again methinks.

So, she's coming back up here. Not to us thankfully (my missus said no this time) but to an old college friend, but she'll be around our house. Mrs A has said no dogs allowed here. We'll see if she sticks to it. Not looking forward to all this rubbish again.

Wish me luck.

Only a couple of weeks to Barbel season by the time 1st June rolls around, then you'll be able to escape to the rivers :D

62tucker

Site Supporter
Caravan season started yesterday so she might want a holiday😉.
Jokes apart. Hope she doesn’t turn up. Family 🙈

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Hang as many, unwashed, keepnets as you have, in the caravan. I would lend you mine but, unfortunately, the last thing they smell of nowadays is fish 😪

Arch

Site Supporter
Not being (entirely) flippant, but if you still have the caravan, get rid, NOW - even if its only to park it up elsewhere - storage fees for a few weeks may be cheap insurance, and it removes your 'available' accomodation, no?
The caravan is now full of her stuff that she brought with her when she left her husband. 50 years old and all she's got in the world fits into our van. No furniture, white goods, nothing.

The amount of money that's gone through her hands is unbelievable, not to mention 2 houses that's she had then had to sell. If it wasn't so tragic. it would be laughable.

Philocalist

The caravan is now full of her stuff that she brought with her when she left her husband. 50 years old and all she's got in the world fits into our van. No furniture, white goods, nothing.

The amount of money that's gone through her hands is unbelievable, not to mention 2 houses that's she had then had to sell. If it wasn't so tragic. it would be laughable.
Really feel for you mate - its a very awkward predicament. Still - I'd consider seriously the option of relocating the van to either a storage site, or at best, the least appealing site you can locate that will let you park up a tourer cheaply an, clothes, the lot - its her problem, not yours. I suspect you already realise that she's heading back to you, knowing fine well that you have free accomodation available, indefinitely, in the shape of your caravan.
Hate to be blunt, but if she gets her feet in their again, she is NOT classed as homeless and will NOT be offered accomodation by the local council.
Alternatively - if you were to do her a favour and DENY access to the caravan even temporarily, she WILL be helped with accomodation of sorts by the council as a homeless person PROVIDING they do not judge her to have made herself intentionally homeless.
Same applies if she starts lodging with the friends you mention - if she has a roof over her head, council will not help (and it can be a nightmare for anyone without money and references, getting private rented accomodation) - at that point, if she then leaves there (or your caravan!) for any reason other than a formal eviction - seriously - the council will judge that she made herself voluntarily homeless, and decline housing help.
Granted, any offer of accomodation is likely to be a bit unattractive, typically very short term B&B, where access is typically denied during the daytime, before probably being offered a hostel, which she will either need to accept, or decline at the risk of no further help.
Presumably, she's not working, and therefore claiming benefits, which in turn makes it almost certain that she will qualify for housing benefit, too.
Good luck - you probably don't need anyone to tell you that you've probably got only two options here - a hard 'No' - which will likely play on your conscience etc - or let her back in, with the associated, long term hassle and problems.

Arch

Site Supporter
Saturday is D-Day. I've been assured that she won't bring her Dogs here. We'll see.

I can't stop her coming to our house, she's my wife sister and they are very close. I'm under the impression their Aunty may stand as guarantor for a flat or something. She'll need a job, obviously, but that would be the best outcome for everyone.