What a load of poo

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Before I moved I was staying at my dad's in Nottingham and me and the missus would go for a walk every morning. There were loads of public footpaths and bridlepaths that we used and, although enjoyable we had to traverse a minefield of piles of horse manure every time. If it had been dog mess people would have been up in arms about it. Why do riders not have to clean up after their animals🤔

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If the horse was pulling a cart it's illegal for the cart driver not to pick up the horse's waste. It doesn't apply to ridden horses though, I think it's because it's vegetable matter not protein based like dog poo, hence supposed to break down quicker.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Oh Dave.

Think about where you are living now and be prepared to get used to it. 😂.

We have the Police stables behind us and the lanes getting a regular batch of fresh deposits.
Great for the allotment though ☺👍

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I don't mind it really, just a light hearted post

dave the fish

Site Supporter
You wouldn’t expect to have the same problem in London would you. 2 miles up the road are the barracks for the Royal Horse Artillary in Woolwich. They regularly take the horses along the roads from the stables to the exercise area. Each of the 10 or 12 riders leads another 2 horses,one on each side, can you imagine the amount of poo that over 30 horses leave. 💩 💩

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
You wont have that problem where you live now, because it is not a great horsey area.Just wait until the slurry season comes in. At least you can see the horse dung and step over it ! lol

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I asked the same question many years ago on another forum. On a cycle ride through our local country park I had to avoid well over 30 piles of manure. Lots of families with youngsters walk the same paths. I don't understand why its acceptable either.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Dog sh1t will blind people if it gets in your eye, it can cause Neospora in Cattle, meaning they abort if pregnant and will never get in calf again, rendering a possibly expensive cow useless And only good for slaughte.
As regards Horse, cattle and sheep sh1t on roads and tracks. It the animals has deposited it themselves, the owners are no obliged to clean it up. If the farmer is driving a tractor moving slurry or manure, then he has made the mess and should clean it up.

JayD

They should do something about the piles of it left in fields by cows as well. I, a Yorkshire man, was returning from the river across a cow field just as dusk descended, a stray gust of wind blew my flat cap off and across the field into the gloom. I had to try 15 of the buggers on before I found my cap!:eek:
John.