WHAT A FRIDGE !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
In 1979/80 a friend at work was chucking out an old fridge and gave it me as a bait fridge. Wouldnt accept any money so I got hime some lager and his missus some chocolates.

I've just moved it out the garage for its 10 year defrost ( seems that long anyway).

Its hardly ever been switched off in all that time, just sits there and I pop bait in.. and put out to grass in '79 ! Don't these things 'HANG ON ' [:)]

Can't whack it. It has a CO-OP badge on the front and is rusting up quite a bit from the base on the front door but the maggots dont care. Loads of life left in it yet. Must be into its 40's.

ott

a new one would blow up quick but the old fridges arew tough as nails

Cedric

Check the thermostat is cutting in/out some keep running and send your bill up so much you could pay for a new one.

Don

I got one off my brother in law from a house clearance. Talk about humphrey the fungus monster some old dear had died and left cartons of opened milk in it, what a stench! You could have stroked the inside as it looked like a yeti lol. Thing is I cleaned it with bleach and have used it for my maggot fridge for the last 12 years and its still going strong. In the same period we have gone through three freezers and four fridges in the home!

I have a fridge freezer (upright)at the moment that may be going spare its in brilliant nick as we use it for a spare in the garage, might ask the wife if someone can have it off the site as my lads just gave me a big American type fridge freezer. My lads just moved house and he didnt have the need for it as every appliance was supplied for him lucky git!

Last edited:

dave the fish

Site Supporter
I was given a Prestcold fridge back in 1974 by my old boss. It belonged to his father who had had it since 1953.

I used it for food when I first got married but it was soon promoted to a maggot fridge and never once broke down. The original light bulb was still working when I disposed of it. I kept it until 2002 and only got rid of it because the door seal had perished and it continually iced up.

Ive since had 2 modern fridges both of which have broken. Wish I had kept the old one now,[:(] 49 years old and it was still working.

Status
Not open for further replies.