What A Difference A Decade Makes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Just been reading the May 2000 edition of Match Fishing and it's amazing how many things that we now think of us as being second-nature just weren't available back then.

No Preston boxes and very litle luggage - the rods were only introduced the year before - anybody remember the Preston Dream? - and the poles were just rebadged Lercs.
No Hydro or hollow elastic
Milo Tardis was THE box for all tackle-tarts
ASI and Brilo boxes were still very popular
Pole market was dominated by Maver, Tricast, Milo, Browning, Garbolino and Daiwa - top of the range Maver was the F51 - the 14.5m version would set you back almost 2500.
Pellets were still in their infancy - expanders weren't available, banded pellets hadn't been thought of yet - the market was dominated by Sillybait and VDE - both of whom had a range of pellet sizes and soft hookers - there certainly wasn't the choice we've got today.

Other than the regular items there are a total of seven articles - all bar one on a puddle[:(]

Mark Sawyer at Boddington Res
Mark Pollard at Holly Farm in Leicestershire
Clive Carter at Gwinear Pools, Cornwall
Mark Richardson at Wylands Farm, Sussex
Steve Fearnley at The Willows, York
Martin Liptrott at Copthorne Lakes
Colin Mayer on the Macclesfield Canal

Of those articles only Mark Sawyer uses pellets as hookbait and only one other article even mentions them - the bait that year was meat - anybody remember magic meat powder?

Ten years ago Match Fishing was edited by Roger Mortimer. Those of you who didn't read the magazine back then won't know what I'm on about but Roger had a very distinct style of writing - anybody remember when nobody 'said' anything in the articles?
In just one article picked at random we've got:
He revealed, he indicated, he tipped, he beamed, he acknowledged, he grinned, numerous he explained and a he grimaced[:p][:p]

One thing that surprised me was how similar the prices of major items (rods, boxes, poles etc) were to todays prices.
Top of the range ASI or Milo box - 450
Maver poles - 13m Jurassic Carp - 360 - I'm sure todays equivalent is very similar.
Drennan DRX feeder - 160
Shimano Stradic reels - 120

Simon

jacksdar

Great post Simon R.

I have only just reached 40 but still hanker back to the good old days!

Today I picked up the AT match fishing supplement. There was an article about Ian Heaps winning the world championships in 1975. A fabulous read.

Understand progress cannot be halted but not sure I will look back at todays match fishing scene/tactics in the same light that I do the 70's, 80's or 90's.

Tried, unsuccessfully, to find a YouTube of Hooked, the match fishing programme screened in the 80's. Anyone got a copy?!

Ah, nostalgia!

Regards,

jacksdar

wwonder

Great topic fella
I left the fishing scene approx 15 yrs ago due to starting family etc.
Came back into it now that my 2 sons have grown older and they have got me back into fishing.
I had a free weekend last year and decided to enter a local 'club match' and I couldn't believe the tactics being used!!!
So much to catch up on!!

(finished 4th though using 'old ideas' [:)]

WinstonSmith

There's a video of Jack charlton, spending the day with Denis White and Dick Clegg, check out their Daiwa sponsored Barnsley black kit [:D] just type either ones name in you tube.
It has changed a lot, Never thought of hair rigging think we used to be quite snobby about the big carp boys, Who was first to take idea's from the carp world for match fishing ???

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by WinstonSmith

There's a video of Jack charlton, spending the day with Denis White and Dick Clegg,
There's also one from the same series on river fishing where Jack spends the day with Ken Giles and Clive Smith - I uploaded that too[;)]

Simon

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I still use a Maver G61 and a tardis and I have a Brilo
My shimano reels are about 10 years old too [:p]

Hatchye

I only upgraded my box to an original Tradis last year....

Behind the times or what?[:(]

Doesn't cost as much as being a tart though[:T][:D]

peteblade

I still have and use an original 450 module Tardis. One was on ebay this week and was at 130 last time I looked. Think I only payed 280 for mine 10 years ago.

bigdavewsf

Originally posted by Simon R

Originally posted by jacksdar
Tried, unsuccessfully, to find a YouTube of Hooked, the match fishing programme screened in the 80's. Anyone got a copy?!

Well there's Hooked International on YouTube - I uploaded it last year - it's the one set in Denmark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YekL...84C74D699&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=5
That link will play all three hours of it[;)]

love it simon...brought back lots of memories[:D]

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.