What a day!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
My club has a stretch of river. I love river fishing. Fished it last Thursday trotting maggots on the float - what you young 'uns call a stick float. Smashing day. Lovely net of Roach, Chub and Perch with a few Gudgeon thrown in for good measure.
Went there again to-day and found three other people fishing. The four of us just could not buy a bite save for a few "sardines". Maggots, various flavours of pellets, corn, worms of various types and sizes. Float, ledger, maggot and groundbait feeder, Method. They just weren't having it. It was as if someone had come along overnight and netted everything out. All I could summise is that the rise in air pressure which brought along the sunshine did it.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
My club has a stretch of river. I love river fishing. Fished it last Thursday trotting maggots on the float - what you young 'uns call a stick float. Smashing day. Lovely net of Roach, Chub and Perch with a few Gudgeon thrown in for good measure.
Went there again to-day and found three other people fishing. The four of us just could not buy a bite save for a few "sardines". Maggots, various flavours of pellets, corn, worms of various types and sizes. Float, ledger, maggot and groundbait feeder, Method. They just weren't having it. It was as if someone had come along overnight and netted everything out. All I could summise is that the rise in air pressure which brought along the sunshine did it.
Is that the Mole ? Fished the Mole for many years, it can be a struggle if it's too clear. When I fished the Thames Friday, I noticed by the time I packed up that the colour had dropped out a lot, I could see the bottom in the edge, couldn't when I started.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Such is the magic of rivers I think. I can never work out if the fish have done one and are elsewhere or just not feeding. I would expect the former.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Is that the Mole ? Fished the Mole for many years, it can be a struggle if it's too clear. When I fished the Thames Friday, I noticed by the time I packed up that the colour had dropped out a lot, I could see the bottom in the edge, couldn't when I started.
Typically for me it would have been the Mole but this time it was the Arun. Similar but very deep.

alsur

Site Supporter
Where on Thames did you fish how did you get on. Haven't fished Thames for sometime there was a time I fished it almost every week twice some weeks

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Typically for me it would have been the Mole but this time it was the Arun. Similar but very deep.
Could it be tidal influence ? No idea where you were, or where it's tidal to, but I think it's quite a way inland.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Where on Thames did you fish how did you get on. Haven't fished Thames for sometime there was a time I fished it almost every week twice some weeks
At the entrance to Desborough cut, by the canoe club. Had a good day trotting for roach. Last time I fished the Thames was a few months ago, at Walton, was hammered by bleak and tiny perch. I had 1 or 2 bleak friday, but no perch, mostly roach, 1 skimmer and 1 rudd . Will give Sunbury a try tomorrow, on a small back cut , there is a car park which you have to pay for now.

alsur

Site Supporter
At the entrance to Desborough cut, by the canoe club. Had a good day trotting for roach. Last time I fished the Thames was a few months ago, at Walton, was hammered by bleak and tiny perch. I had 1 or 2 bleak friday, but no perch, mostly roach, 1 skimmer and 1 rudd . Will give Sunbury a try tomorrow, on a small back cut , there is a car park which you have to pay for now.
I know both spots I used to work in Weybridge fished opposite weir or down towards island, mainly Dace back then.
That's where I am in photo.

Last edited:

rudd

Site Supporter
Same on a club lake today, 1 decent perch, two wasps and I did well as rest blanked!

Simon90

That's river fishing for you. I have been river fishing almost exclusively since the season started and have had similar experiences.
A week ago on Friday I had a really good session on the float, then last Wednesday I fished the same spot for a few bits and pieces.
I suppose that's one of the things that attracts me to the rivers, you never know what to expect, learning how to fish it in all the different scenarios takes a lifetime.