What A Day πŸ™„

robinta

Fishing today at my local commercial (one of those places that are supposedly super easy to fish and not challenging!)

Decided to try a peg I've never fished before, which is basically and end peg with a long Reed lined margin to the left.

I had a decent start catching silvers on a short Pole, before looking in the margins where there was plenty of carp showing. This is where things started to go awry.

I was hooking and landing some fish, but was suffering too with foul hookers and hook pulls. At least 2 fish snagged me in the reeds, as it was clearly a tactic they'd used before. The next one that did the same, I tried to stop it.. Keeping the pole low etc, when my no 4 snapped. In truth not a huge surprise as it has had too many close calls before. More depressingly playing another fish and my top kit exploded. As per another thread I was using 16_18 Slik, so heavy elastic but not THAT heavy I thought.. Perhaps this kit had a ding of some sort I wasn't aware of.

By now I was ready to call it a day. I'd lost a load of fish to hook pulls, and been snapped at least 3 times. I didnt have any heavier line or bigger hooks to use, but I did try a different pattern which coincidently or not, didn't come off (I always use my own hand tied spade end hooks and am wondering if either the spade on this pattern is too small, or if my tying technique Is off).

I did catch again, but this was on a lighter elastic than before so wasn't ideal. Before I could think about packing up, a torrential downpour hit, soaking a lot of my gear..

Finally, I decided rather than quit I would try and Fish a straight lead in the margins. This gave me plenty of bites, but again more hook pulls as the sods bolted for the comfort of the Reeds. I don't do a lot of legering, so the only rod I have is an 11 foot feeder, which is all tip action. I'm convinced I needed a shorter, more through action rod to get them out.

So I ended up feeling physically and mentally broken (literally if you looked at the bits of carbon on the ground)

A day to forget or hopefully learn from

I cant decide if I'm unlucky, incompetant or somewhere between the two.

Anyone got any cheap golf clubs for sale 😳

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
There was a thread the other day where a fella was asking similar thing as he was losing fish in lily's ,simple answer is dont fish so close to them feed them away they will move or suffer broken pole sections and fish that have lips like jordan without her make up on

Corn Master

I had a chuck today on an old fave of mine that's been in the cupboard for about 12 years, the bagging waggler. Up at Orcheton today and had a mix of carp and F1’s...60 of them to be exact. Forgot how explosive the method can be when it goes well. A noddy mix of micros, gb and crushed hard pellet with an 8 on the hook. Took 2 hours of contant crashing in bait but hell it was fun when it started

robinta

There was a thread the other day where a fella was asking similar thing as he was losing fish in lily's ,simple answer is dont fish so close to them feed them away they will move or suffer broken pole sections and fish that have lips like jordan without her make up on
Yeah.. Makes total sense.

I think the problem was not every one dived into the Reeds. Some did, some went into open water and I either landed them or had pulls. I deliberately tried a new swim, further away from the Reeds.. But I think by then I was just plain battered.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Fishing today at my local commercial (one of those places that are supposedly super easy to fish and not challenging!)

Decided to try a peg I've never fished before, which is basically and end peg with a long Reed lined margin to the left.

I had a decent start catching silvers on a short Pole, before looking in the margins where there was plenty of carp showing. This is where things started to go awry.

I was hooking and landing some fish, but was suffering too with foul hookers and hook pulls. At least 2 fish snagged me in the reeds, as it was clearly a tactic they'd used before. The next one that did the same, I tried to stop it.. Keeping the pole low etc, when my no 4 snapped. In truth not a huge surprise as it has had too many close calls before. More depressingly playing another fish and my top kit exploded. As per another thread I was using 16_18 Slik, so heavy elastic but not THAT heavy I thought.. Perhaps this kit had a ding of some sort I wasn't aware of.

By now I was ready to call it a day. I'd lost a load of fish to hook pulls, and been snapped at least 3 times. I didnt have any heavier line or bigger hooks to use, but I did try a different pattern which coincidently or not, didn't come off (I always use my own hand tied spade end hooks and am wondering if either the spade on this pattern is too small, or if my tying technique Is off).

I did catch again, but this was on a lighter elastic than before so wasn't ideal. Before I could think about packing up, a torrential downpour hit, soaking a lot of my gear..

Finally, I decided rather than quit I would try and Fish a straight lead in the margins. This gave me plenty of bites, but again more hook pulls as the sods bolted for the comfort of the Reeds. I don't do a lot of legering, so the only rod I have is an 11 foot feeder, which is all tip action. I'm convinced I needed a shorter, more through action rod to get them out.

So I ended up feeling physically and mentally broken (literally if you looked at the bits of carbon on the ground)

16AA. One of my favourite pegs along with 25.
But I don’t use a pole.
Good for pellet waggler.

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Pack up, go home, feel sorry for yourself, blame the world, blame yourself, go to bed, wake up itching to go fishing again......... Been there mate😁 just one of those days buddy. πŸ‘

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter

Golf clubs? Would cost a fortune in balls.
Go join a book club.πŸ™‚

OldTaff

Site Supporter
@robinta - you didn’t kick any black cats on the way to the lake did you ?

That was a bad session but hopefully you’ll bag up next time out & it will become a distant memory

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I've been there done that and got the T-shirt. Next time you go you'll probably bag up. If you were fishing on the deck you will get loads of foul hookers at the angel as once you feed there is so many fish there. What I do is feed lightly you'll know when the are there by the swirls, then fish over the top of them (shallow) flicking the rig over. Let them come up off the bottom and take the banded pellet. As soon as the fish is hooked steer it straight towards the middle of the peg. If you fish on the deck fish 2-3 ft away from where you fed.. (y)

ATTICUS FINCH

Site Supporter
It's days like yours that make the good days so much more pleasurable.
An expensive session in tackle and experience.
But you will be back on the bank again and getting your own back soon enough. πŸ‘