What 11ft feeder rod for commercials (overwhelmed by choice)

MrTencherson

Hi Guys,

I've decided to treat myself to a new 11 ft feeder rod and I'm overwhelmed by the choice out there so hoping you guys can help me find the rod that matches my needs best. I don't have time to travel to various tackle shops to waggle rods etc so happy to take a punt as I'm sure it's pretty difficult to buy a naff rod now days.

I am a novice/pleasure angler and mostly fish commercials now days and want something that I will use in the summer for Method feeder work to 40m for large match sized carp (average 8lb but occasionally a big-un up to 20lb max). In the Winter I want to use it with a cage feeder / maggot feeder for large silvers and the occasional carp. Probably looking to use 6 to 8lb Hyper sensor on my Daiwa Ninja 4012 reel.

Key consideration:
  • I want a 2 piece rod that I can leave made up in my rod holdall for convenience.
  • It must have a good playing action - i.e. needs to be fun
  • It must be robust - I don't want anything fragile - i'm an oaf and will break delicate things :ROFLMAO:
The kind of rods that have caught my attention so far are:
  1. Guru N Guage
  2. Daiwa Yank n Bank
  3. MAP Parabolix SUV
  4. Drennan Acolyte Plus
Anything obvious missing from my list? Budget is sub £200 but I prefer 'good value' to 'cheap'. I have missed off Cadence (I know they get recommended a lot) as they're out of stock and I broke my Cadence CR10 #1 on it's first outing which has put me off a bit (my fault though - told you I'm ham-fisted).

Thanks in advance

Al

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I have a 10ft Yank n Bank and a 12ft Parabolix SUV, both fantasticly made rods with great actions. Yank n Bank comes with it's own ready sleeve which is a great touch, also armlock handle.

A bit of a wildcard, and it's 3 piece, but i have a Daiwa Ninja X feeder, it's a brutish continental style rod with a 120g casting weight, but the action was pleasantly suprising when i used it on Saturday, not too stiff at all and paired well with my 4012 TDR. Cost about £75 to import it from Poland with the shipping. Also the rings are quite big which makes it ideal for distance casting.

I have another on the way from Poland, this time 11ft Daiwa Aqualite feeder, again it's a continental style rod, 100g casting weight, big rings but this is a 2 piece this time and only weighs 185g so should be better still than the Ninja X. I'll give my impressions on it within the next week or so hopefully.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have an acolyte ultra which is brilliant so I’m sure the plus would be as well, only downside is that it’s tips are a bit on the heavy side.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I have the series 7 puddle chucker method 11ft. 3oz tip is interchangeable. They are quality and cost about £90. For the fishing I do, I couldnt see the pointing in paying twice as much for the acolyte even though people rave about them. I spent the difference on a really nice reel instead, 3000 series as the 4000 was way too big and unbalanced the rod.

I've had accidental carp to 12lb on it so far and it performed brilliantly even with light tackle. You get a heck of a scrap.

Combo's are also still available and I think they are great value for money at about £110. The replacement range is called Vertex so I'm told, but the series 7 rods really caught my eye, so I now own float and method feeder versions. Theres a heavier carp version too.

I've PM'd you some close up pictures of it that I took for another user in a similar position to you.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

I've decided to treat myself to a new 11 ft feeder rod and I'm overwhelmed by the choice out there so hoping you guys can help me find the rod that matches my needs best. I don't have time to travel to various tackle shops to waggle rods etc so happy to take a punt as I'm sure it's pretty difficult to buy a naff rod now days.

I am a novice/pleasure angler and mostly fish commercials now days and want something that I will use in the summer for Method feeder work to 40m for large match sized carp (average 8lb but occasionally a big-un up to 20lb max). In the Winter I want to use it with a cage feeder / maggot feeder for large silvers and the occasional carp. Probably looking to use 6 to 8lb Hyper sensor on my Daiwa Ninja 4012 reel.

Key consideration:
  • I want a 2 piece rod that I can leave made up in my rod holdall for convenience.
  • It must have a good playing action - i.e. needs to be fun
  • It must be robust - I don't want anything fragile - i'm an oaf and will break delicate things :ROFLMAO:
The kind of rods that have caught my attention so far are:
  1. Guru N Guage
  2. Daiwa Yank n Bank
  3. MAP Parabolix SUV
  4. Drennan Acolyte Plus
Anything obvious missing from my list? Budget is sub £200 but I prefer 'good value' to 'cheap'. I have missed off Cadence (I know they get recommended a lot) as they're out of stock and I broke my Cadence CR10 #1 on it's first outing which has put me off a bit (my fault though - told you I'm ham-fisted).

Thanks in advance

Al
I use tri cast feeder rods excellent but havent had a lump on them yet although im sure they will handle them with ease . I thunk preston supera will be good and another at the other end is tfgear rods absolutely brilliant and very cheap will handle anything

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The popular one you have missed out of your list is the Drennan Vertex range which replaced the series 7 range and ar far superior to them but still take the same tips.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The vertex medium feeder feels very nice and the method feeder not bad either. Not a fan of the feel of the carp feeder though and none of the float rods feel good at all which was a big disappointment.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
We don't hear much about them. Superior ??
Ive watched loads of videos on the supera , Des Shipp has a video catching huge lumps with them at close range ,although i have never tried them .

grey

Site Supporter
Tricast Trilogy if your ham-fisted.

Good 'feel' to cast and just as important, to play the fish - reassuringly over engineered to cope with oafs like us!

8, 10 and 11ft, all 2 piece, all ideal tools for commercials. You'll have to pay for the pleasure and peace-of-mind as there won't be much change from your £200 budget.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Best value for money at the minute is without a doubt the daiwa commercial feeders being sold by Hull angling Centre on ebay for £60, these are genuine £150+ rods being sold off, I have the waggler rod and it is really nice.

If you want to pay full price for a rod then the Tri-cast trilogy commercial feeder rods are very good

MrTencherson

I use tri cast feeder rods excellent but havent had a lump on them yet although im sure they will handle them with ease . I thunk preston supera will be good and another at the other end is tfgear rods absolutely brilliant and very cheap will handle anything
Hi Robert, I actually use TFG 10 ft feeder at the moment. To me it's an absolutely excellent rod but I'd like something a little longer for the extra range. I mean I can chuck it to where the fish are but it's a struggle so an 11ft rod would be nice. If they made an 11ft 2 piece TFG feeder I'd buy it, no question.

Cheers

Al[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

MrTencherson

The popular one you have missed out of your list is the Drennan Vertex range which replaced the series 7 range and ar far superior to them but still take the same tips.
Excellent, thank you for the heads up. I will have a look at the vertex range. The rod is a feeder so doesn't need to be super light.

Cheers

Al

MrTencherson

Best value for money at the minute is without a doubt the daiwa commercial feeders being sold by Hull angling Centre on ebay for £60, these are genuine £150+ rods being sold off, I have the waggler rod and it is really nice.

If you want to pay full price for a rod then the Tri-cast trilogy commercial feeder rods are very good
Thanks, I do love a bargain. I will also have a look into Daiwa commercial.

Cheers

Al

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter

I’ve got one of them, I bought it 2nd hand, and paid more than that, they’re a bargain at £60????