What £100 float rod?

JimM

I primarily fish for barbel on the Trent but this year I'm thinking of having a go on the local ponds during the closed season. Obviously a 2.75TC rod is going to be a bit overgunned :D so I need to get myself a float rod but no real idea of what I need or should be looking for. Budget is ideally around £100 for the rod and I'd like something that will happily cope with larger fish tench, bream etc and guessing 13ft would be a good compromise length?
Could I have some suggestions of what rods to look at

Thanks

adriang

Site Supporter
How about a Korum Power Glide? My mate just bought one, for barbel and chub fishing and was saying its going to be his go to for his summer pit fishing. They seem to be about £75 from Bobco
for the 12-14 model, which is what he got.

JimM

Thanks for the suggestion does look like a nice rod, however I was doing some more reading last night and the 13ft Maver MVR Float also appeared to be well recommended, I found one for £85 delivered which is now on it's way to me (y)

adriang

Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion does look like a nice rod, however I was doing some more reading last night and the 13ft Maver MVR Float also appeared to be well recommended, I found one for £85 delivered which is now on it's way to me (y)
I've got a MVR Float Rod, its a light one, which I bought from an Italian site and I've not found for sale in the UK.

I really like it, and tried to buy a second, but it was caught up in the end of Brexit chaos and ended up setting returned to sender by the shipping company.

Dropon

£100 rod , 100 opinions,here’s my views, what are you likely to be fishing for , for example roach ,bream tench or carp.Do you know more about the venue , depths etc . Best of luck sifting through the responses.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The 13ft MVR is a very capable general purpose traditional style float rod which should be ok with most fish as long as you ae not regularly targeting speciman sized Tench and Bream or double figure Carp. It is light actioned enough to allow small hooks and light hook lengths for the smaller fish but still has a bit of power down the blank if something larger comes along...should be fun