What’s your view on this ?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Last Friday I’m sat by my favourite river enjoying the surroundings and the peace and quiet when in the distance I can here what can only be described as a massive hornet. 30 seconds buzzing and then gone. Half an hour later and it’s back. Buzzing away merrily and then off again. 🤔 I’m stood looking down the river but, I can’t see a thing. 🤷‍♂️ Very strange. So, today my mate phones asking which peg I fished on Friday and the ‘ buzzing noise ‘ gets a mention. “ Ya clown “ he says. “ It’s a drone taking boilies out to a swim. 😳. WTF ? Apparently we now have anglers on our stretch of the Trent using drones to take bait out. Not sure how this is going to go down with other anglers or the club. Is using this type of technology taking things too far would you say ? 🤔

Over to you guys.
Thankyou for asking what our view is rather than the stupid and meaningless American "take". Anyway, drones for fishing gets a no from me.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thankyou for asking what our view is rather than the stupid and meaningless American "take". Anyway, drones for fishing gets a no from me.
A no from me also but, then I think …… am I out of touch these days ? Is this what anglers are up to now ? Would have been better if those drones were battery driven. The one I heard sounded like a little two stroke engine. I don’t know Phil. I may have simply turned into an old fart in my old age. 🤣🤣

Total

Site Supporter
A no from me also but, then I think …… am I out of touch these days ? Is this what anglers are up to now ? Would have been better if those drones were battery driven. The one I heard sounded like a little two stroke engine. I don’t know Phil. I may have simply turned into an old fart in my old age. 🤣🤣
You stay an 'old fart'....:).....That's why we love ya.....;)😘

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You stay an 'old fart'....:).....That's why we love ya.....;)😘
It’s nice to hear others opinions Mark. I’ll be honest. It’s took me by surprise. Personally I’m hoping it doesn’t catch on but, you never know with these things. Not nice if you are on the next peg. I could clearly hear it some 100m + away. That’s not exactly in the spirit of our great sport …… Is it ? If it is then I think I’m going to have find somewhere else to fish as the noise of a drone while I’m listening to the surrounding wildlife ain’t for me.

Total

Site Supporter
It’s nice to hear others opinions Mark. I’ll be honest. It’s took me by surprise. Personally I’m hoping it doesn’t catch on but, you never know with these things. Not nice if you are on the next peg. I could clearly hear it some 100m + away. That’s not exactly in the spirit of our great sport …… Is it ? If it is then I think I’m going to have find somewhere else to fish as the noise of a drone while I’m listening to the surrounding wildlife ain’t for me.
As I said earlier, it ain't for me....Anyway the plus side is, some innovative sod will make produce a signal jammer which will render these drones useless....;):devilish::ROFLMAO:

scuttster

Site Supporter
A lot of clubs have a no radios and phones on silent rule so I would guess a noisy droning drone would be barred on a noise front. Also depending on the height flown there might be disturbance to another anglers swim. Noise and downdraft which could see someone up infront the committee. Failing that a well timed feeder or bomb would solve a swim invasion from said drone. 🤣

satinet

Site Supporter
Drones are powered by multiple electric motors and lipo batteries.

Props can be quite noisy. Smaller props with high rpm generally create that more annoying whining sound.

Thing that strikes me is how it would be quite difficult to actually bait over your hook very accurately, especially on a large water, unless the drone is taking the rig out as well.

Drones have been very divisive in the RC world. A lot of rc flyers hate them not least because they have lead to the introduction of rules and licensing that are pretty much going to kill off RC flying. (In fairness basically due to EU rules fully adopted by the UK).

MrBen

Site Supporter
Anything that creates that much noise, is a no from me, if you can’t cast accurately enough to get the feed where you want it you don’t deserve the fish.

On another drone note we had a guy round our area flying one looking into windows, it soon stopped when he came to my house as I was waiting for it to arrive window open, rifle in hand and aimed. It soon disappeared and hasn’t been seen since.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Banned on my clubs water, and if caught using one on clubs waters, membership will be revoked.
Same here, drones are banned. Bait boats are also banned on our waters, but they're nothing that a hollow point pellet can't sort out. ;)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Welcome to the old farts club. We were incorporated with the old codgers circa 2018.

satinet

Site Supporter
I prefer my fishing quiet generally speaking.

The problem with (most) drones is they don't require flying skill like normal RC models so anyone can buy one and start buzzing about with it. That being said I think it's all be whipped up to a ridiculous degree by the media who would have us all believe that the sky was going to be dark with them.

Last edited:

PJG

Bait boats and drones - it's cheating. However; as long as they don't disturb other anglers then let them get on with it. Uncaring anglers using spods/spombs well that's another matter - I was once legering for roach when a carp angler set up directly next to me and started to spomb - I was forced to have a word in his shell-like - inconsiderate so and so!!!