What’s the first thing you set up ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Took my dogs on the canal for a walk this morning and came across two anglers that had just got there. The first item they were putting up was their landing nets. I said Jokingly .... “ you two are optimistic aren’t ya ? They said .... “ Well, if anything was to blow in we can get it out quick “. I’d never thought of that myself. Usually it’s the last thing I set up before a session is my landing net.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Landing net is one of the 1st things, learned the hard way. I set up a feeder rod, baited it and dropped it in off marginal rushes to my right while I set up pole to fish out in front.

Rod hooped round and I had to try and play a 17lb carp with one hand while trying to get net handle out of my holdall and screw the net head on with the other hand.

Robwooly

Yeah it's the net for me too, no reason really, gets it out the way and it's handy for hitting oiks if you're fishing somewhere dodge

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Seat Box first, accessories, bait up stuff, rod (ready made up). The landing net is about the last thing I set up. On a normal day, I'm done in about half an hour.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Unpack everything from rod holdall and carryall that I think I will need then get them out of the way, but the 1st thing that gets set up is my landing net seen to many people set the rod up 1st and get fishing only to hook a fish 1st cast and can't land it safely. Only exception is if I am using a keep net then I set that up and use the landing net handle to push it into position. But would never dream of casting a rod without a landing net set up

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Took my dogs on the canal for a walk this morning and came across two anglers that had just got there. The first item they were putting up was their landing nets. I said Jokingly .... “ you two are optimistic aren’t ya ? They said .... “ Well, if anything was to blow in we can get it out quick “. I’d never thought of that myself. Usually it’s the last thing I set up before a session is my landing net.
Way back when I was a whipper-snapper-yucca, two elderly members (I know one was in his 90s and still fished a couple of times a week, his fishing friend was probably not far off) of the club I was in gave me exactly that advice for exactly the same reason. Bar perhaps my chair or box, it's still my landing net.

Birtleyheed

Seatbox and its various attachments, sort bait, landing net, then pole/rod. Takes me approx 20 mins ( try to organise as much as I can prior to leaving home so I don't waste any fishing time ! ).

Nicky Dodds

Unpack everything from rod holdall and carryall that I think I will need then get them out of the way, but the 1st thing that gets set up is my landing net seen to many people set the rod up 1st and get fishing only to hook a fish 1st cast and can't land it safely. Only exception is if I am using a keep net then I set that up and use the landing net handle to push it into position. But would never dream of casting a rod without a landing net set up
Exactly the same as.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Set seat box and side tray- then landing net.

Getting an eva bait system - logic being I can set it out at home (except maggots) then simply put on side tray & unzip to save time. Same in reverse for packing up.

I'm always last to pack up after a match for some reason. Some guys are rapid - short kits straight in case with rigs still on etc...

JayD

The first thing to be set up, and the last thing to be taken apart, is always my landing net. Seen too many struggle to land a fish before net set up, and having the 'last cast' after the net was away.

John.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Mix my groundbait or method mix as it needs a good 30+ minutes to be at it's best. Then I position my seat box and trays etc. The last things I set up are rods and pole.