What’s happened?!

Thom

Hi all,

Long time no see - the last time I frequented this site was some 10+ years ago under the name ‘metalforever’, when I was little more than a teenager controlled by his genitalia! its good to see a few names kicking about I still recognise.

I’m looking to get back into match angling after selling up prior to university; back then I fished with a Shimano Speednaster XT pole from a Milo Tardis box. It seems neither of these brands are mainstream nowadays - what happened?!

I’m interested in hearing which brands/companies and items I should be keeping my eyes on as good ‘value for money’ items as I rebuild my gear. I’m looking for a good spec pole but I’m not familiar with all these brands, let alone new puller kits and other technologies.

Equally - what does the modern day angler seek in a seat box? I See Preston offering carbon fibre jobbies - not for me as I’ll have a trolley but I’m interested to learn about the new gear of today (yes, got the recent mags but these are incredibly biased!)

cheers all

Thom

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome back Thom

If you want your old profile merging with your new, let me know and I'll do so

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Hey up Thom welcome back mate if ya need any advise about not giving a toss im yer man ;)

Dusty

Hi all,

Long time no see - the last time I frequented this site was some 10+ years ago under the name ‘metalforever’, when I was little more than a teenager controlled by his genitalia! its good to see a few names kicking about I still recognise.

I’m looking to get back into match angling after selling up prior to university; back then I fished with a Shimano Speednaster XT pole from a Milo Tardis box. It seems neither of these brands are mainstream nowadays - what happened?!

I’m interested in hearing which brands/companies and items I should be keeping my eyes on as good ‘value for money’ items as I rebuild my gear. I’m looking for a good spec pole but I’m not familiar with all these brands, let alone new puller kits and other technologies.

Equally - what does the modern day angler seek in a seat box? I See Preston offering carbon fibre jobbies - not for me as I’ll have a trolley but I’m interested to learn about the new gear of today (yes, got the recent mags but these are incredibly biased!)

cheers all

Thom

Jesus, think I used to chat to you on MSN messenger back in the day. Going back 10 years or so though.

Paul.P

(yes, got the recent mags but these are incredibly biased!)

And so will most of the views on here be as well, mine included !, would be a fair start if we new what sort of money your gonna spend 1st, as there's such a variance in the price of tackle nowadays, I mean, do you want to start with top end stuff or middle of the road ?

Thom

Jesus, think I used to chat to you on MSN messenger back in the day. Going back 10 years or so though.

very possible! A lot has changed in that time but turns out the angling bug never leaves! I’ve taken up beach casting again but actually fancy catching some fish so turning my attention to coarse ?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Hi, Thom. Shimano and Milo both still exist. I'd describe them as still mainstream, but not as prominent as they used to be because they don't advertise as much. Perhaps they don't need to. Both still produce quality gear.

The mags are not particularly biased - the trouble is that so much of the new gear is good. For example Preston gets a lot of reviews as they keep bringing out new lines.

You ask what an angler now looks for in a seat box. The height is important from the point of view of good healthy seating - for instance I have to have a fairly high seat to prevent leg cramp. Some boxes have draws on an adjustable base so you can alter the height; others (usually the more expensive boxes) have a permanent frame and you add draws to adjust the seat height.

I don't need a deep drawer on the seat as I don't carry loose reels - but if you do you would look for a deep drawer. If you use a pole a lot you will need shallow draws to place your rigs in. And you might need a footplate to which to attach nets or a spray bar, which enables you to rest your pole on it (useful with poles of 13 metres or more or if you're fishing shallow in the summer). As you say, the weight is not as important if you have a trolley.

Look at some catalogues (most tackle shops have a selection) to get an idea of what is now available. Don't let the name Middy put you off (it sounds a little kiddyish) - the firm is named after their founder Ken Middleton, who called it Middy, and the family, who still run it, refuse to change the name. They market almost every item of tackle you could wish for and it's all good stuff. That's not to denigrate the other big names, but you can hardly go wrong with Middy gear - all good value.

Thom

evening all,

I realise now my vague question regarding tackle was a bit too vague!

What I’m getting at is there seems to have been a huge influx of new companies (colmix, matrix, Frenzee) and ‘old’ companies being brought back such as DAM. Equally the former top dogs such as Shimano and Garbolino don’t seem to get a mention in the pole world versus maver, Daiwa and others (including sensas, which when I last fished made little more than buckets and loop tyers!).

what I’m keen to know is which companies are considered good quality in the pole world - I used to use a speed master xt by Shimano, probably about £1000 worth of pole back in the day so it was decent and could be fished at 13m all day by hand. I’d like something if comparable quality but with modern technologies (which I’m not up on either!)

I’m reluctant to buy a Maver pole as in the 2000’s I had one which had incredibly fragile female ends meaning I was forever trimming/buying spares and whilst I love Daiwa gear the last pole I used had an awful finish which was really trippy due to the carbon layup and I couldn’t ship quickly or smoothly as a result.

hopefully that’s a bit clearer!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
For poles, the Browning Xitan range are top class, but of course expensive. But you really ought to get out on the bank and ask anglers if you can sit and handle their poles, to get an idea of what you want. Expect to pay upwards of £2,500 for a really good one. It might help to Google pole reviews to get an idea of what is available.

There are lots of threads on these forums which discuss poles.

solwood

Site Supporter
Some old boxes are still very good

Brillo boxes and Matchbox are both much lighter than current boxes

Modern boxes may offer more flexibility but their weight is ridiculous often 12kg empty!!

Rods for me I love Acolyte rods, the 13ft plus covers most areas for me. I love my dave Harrell spliced tip for light river work (must be 20 years old)

10ft and 12ft feeder, both on plus versions for me, they allow me to go as fine as I ever want to go 1.5lb hooklink. This is lighter than suggested but I haven't suffered crack offs

Pole if I had 1000 to spend and fished at 13m bobco have some cracking deals on daiwa poles

solwood

Site Supporter
Also can be wise waiting for new models and get last years at a bargain price