West cornish fisheries without carp?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Well, I had my two weeks in Cornwall and now back to working.

I fished Threemilestone one day, lovely well kept fishery and had a decent bag of perhaps 20lb of silvers and small tench in the match lake.

A few days later, I tried Garras and really enjoyed this reasonably well kept secret near Helston. Didn't manage to get into any Tench but caught two lovely crucians and bagged up on decent size skimmers of around 3lb each. This is a really nice spot in a good location, I will be back here again.

I didnt bother with Marazion as I want to avoid lakes packed with match carp, this reminds me too much of bake lakes dunes lake, where you can catch a 100lb of the fish using a piece of paper on a hook. That's not fishing for me.
Ooh yes, I forgot about Garras. There's some cracking Rudd in there.

kernowbob

Ooh yes, I forgot about Garras. There's some cracking Rudd in there.

I caught some smaller ones on breadflake, but cracking, are we talking 1lb+ If yes, I am drooling. I love a quality silver fish, much rather have a big roach or rudd than a big carp. Each to their own I guess. Do you know if there are much in the way of tench or crucians in Garras?

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
I caught some smaller ones on breadflake, but cracking, are we talking 1lb+ If yes, I am drooling. I love a quality silver fish, much rather have a big roach or rudd than a big carp. Each to their own I guess. Do you know if there are much in the way of tench or crucians in Garras?
There are Tench in there, I believe that they're found more to-wards the left of the water. Can't recall having a Crucian. I reckons the Rudd go up to about a pound and a half. Perhaps not huge but they do scrap on light tackle.

kernowbob

There are Tench in there, I believe that they're found more to-wards the left of the water. Can't recall having a Crucian. I reckons the Rudd go up to about a pound and a half. Perhaps not huge but they do scrap on light tackle.

The left, ie the first part as you walk in?

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
The left, ie the first part as you walk in?
Yep, that's it. I've since been looking on the Crucian site and the information is that there are Crucians in there but have not been verified how pure a strain they are given that there are carp in there too.

kernowbob

Had a few hours at Garras today. No crucians or tench for me, but plenty of big skimmers and several lovely big golden rudd, and a roach to a pound and a half. I am happy with that :)