West cornish fisheries without carp?

kernowbob

Just arrived in the UK from the Netherlands and have relocated to Northamptonshire. But....... I am taking two weeks off down near Penzance before starting work and brought my gear with me.

I know north Cornwall quite well, but so much down here and I don;t want to be driving for hours as I'm done with driving for a while.

I want to do some waggler fishing for Tench and decent silvers but not fish a carp mud pit as that is totally not my thing. There must be some old school places around that don't just fill their ponds with carp?

Anyone help?

Thanks

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s very commercial focused down there as there’s not much in the way of fish holding freshwater from what I understand. Your best bets would be upper tamar lake or the bude canal but they will not exactly be on your doorstep. Someone more local might know some hidden gems though. Could always do a bit of sea fishing if not!

On a side note be careful down the as one if my mates just got from a week down there and he said now tourist season has hit all social distancing has gone out of the window lol

kernowbob

Yes, went shopping and it's silly season time. Lots of people stuffing their fat faces with pasties and take away and literally walking like packed zombies.

Yeah, I know all the places up there around Bude, just can't be arsed with the drive up there. Done so many miles driving from Netherlands, and then down from Northamptonshire. I see there is a place near Truro run by a local club, might give them a buzz.

PP123

Bussow (St Ives) and Argal (Falmouth) reservoirs.

Argal is full of bream.
Bussow has bream and silvers but I haven’t fished that one yet.

PP123

BK Fishery (St Erth) has a lovely traditional lake as well. Good mixed fishing.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Bussow has Carp - but is not that well stocked. I've had lots of sessions there catching Roach, Bream and Hybrids but have only once hooked (and lost) a Carp. Lakeside is a 45-50 minute drive and has loads of Bream, Tench, Roach and Crucians. There's Carp but the only people that seem to catch them are the there-for-the-weekend lot who rave on about, "the twenty-two that I had at two o'clock Sunday morning". The big lake at BK fisheries has some good Roach, Perch and Bream. It's very deep. The Carp in there won't bother you much.
Everywhere else is pretty well stuffed with the bu66ers.
You could try a little light rock fishing in the briny. A light set-up can see lots of fun with small Wrasse and Blennies. Gather some winkles for bait.

PP123

Or go mullet fishing up the creeks. They will drive you mad but if you get one it might make your week.

Your tench float gear is ideal.

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Oh yes. I forgot the mullet. Hook a three pound Mullet on an Avon rod loaded with six pound line. That first run is breathtaking. Penzance and Hayle harbour. Fish for them as you would for the most finicky of Roach. I used to used a mashed up white loaf with an equally mashed up can of sardines in brine mixed in for groundbait and bread flake on a size 12.

kernowbob

Thanks all, found two places to try. Langarth Pools near Truro and Garras Lakes near Helston. Both claim to have Crucians and some tench, we shall see.

The mullet sounds like a cracking idea, do I need permission from the harbour master to fish at Penzance?

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Thanks all, found two places to try. Langarth Pools near Truro and Garras Lakes near Helston. Both claim to have Crucians and some tench, we shall see.

The mullet sounds like a cracking idea, do I need permission from the harbour master to fish at Penzance?
Probably but I was never challenged and I haven't heard of anyone else. Newlyn is a different matter. Back to Pz. THE best time for the Mullet is two hours either side of high water with a high tide time of circa 07.30. I used to fish off the slope down from the car park. Flat calm and warmth are your friends.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Wrasse and pouting from the harbour should be pretty doable as well, possibly pollock and maybe even bass as well.

PP123

Langarth Pools are the two pools run by Threemilestone AC? I’ve fished there once, nice peaceful well kept lakes. One is a carp match lake, the other is more mixed; I’m not sure how well stocked it is, some of the match weights are very low. Check out their Facebook page.

kernowbob

Langarth Pools are the two pools run by Threemilestone AC? I’ve fished there once, nice peaceful well kept lakes. One is a carp match lake, the other is more mixed; I’m not sure how well stocked it is, some of the match weights are very low. Check out their Facebook page.
Yeah, I see that on their facebook page. Weights of 10lb or less. OH well, will give it a try and see how it goes. It was suggested by a fella in the tackle shop near Penzance to try Marazion fishing club and also Garras near Helston.

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Yeah, I see that on their facebook page. Weights of 10lb or less. OH well, will give it a try and see how it goes. It was suggested by a fella in the tackle shop near Penzance to try Marazion fishing club and also Garras near Helston.
Marazion club have the lake at St. Earth. It was a lovely fishery with all kinds of everything. Then the match boys decided that it had to be "improved". This was realised by over-stocking it with match sized Carp. Garry in West Cornwall Angling sells day tickets as does the Post Office in St. Erth.

PP123

Marazion club have the lake at St. Earth. It was a lovely fishery with all kinds of everything. Then the match boys decided that it had to be "improved". This was realised by over-stocking it with match sized Carp. Garry in West Cornwall Angling sells day tickets as does the Post Office in St. Erth.
Spot on.

OP - If you’re comfortable fishing the slider you could do a lot worse than a day on the original lake at BK Fishery, St Erth.

kernowbob

Well, I had my two weeks in Cornwall and now back to working.

I fished Threemilestone one day, lovely well kept fishery and had a decent bag of perhaps 20lb of silvers and small tench in the match lake.

A few days later, I tried Garras and really enjoyed this reasonably well kept secret near Helston. Didn't manage to get into any Tench but caught two lovely crucians and bagged up on decent size skimmers of around 3lb each. This is a really nice spot in a good location, I will be back here again.

I didnt bother with Marazion as I want to avoid lakes packed with match carp, this reminds me too much of bake lakes dunes lake, where you can catch a 100lb of the fish using a piece of paper on a hook. That's not fishing for me.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Sounds like a couple of good sessions. I like the look of both waters. Threemilestone is only 20 minutes drive from my house, and I drive past Garras on my way to my sister's house in Newtown.
What methods and baits did you succeed on? The match weights always seem very poor on Threemilestone, so you did well there.