We're going to need a bigger float!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Float fishing rivers is one of the things I need to practise. I think I'm ok on smaller rivers, ones that flow a bit slower, but the middle Severn ain't the easiest place to practise, with often turbulent flows, undulating bottoms, and not always a lot of fish there, can be hard work depending on peg.

Related to that is what someone has been telling me about a club stretch at Stourport. For those who don't know this is one of the most downstream points of what I think is still classed as the middle Severn. It's much wider deeper and slower than even some parts of the lower Severn.

Anyway, chatting to this bloke he reckons he's seen good anglers fish it and they use 10g Bolo Floats to get a third of the way across and hit the Roach. I've gone wrong when I've fished it before, trying with a stick float down the edge, and only really caught mostly Perch. It will be an autumn winter thing when I do fish it, but it got me thinking, with Bolo floats only going up to about 4g in my collection... I'm probably going to need a bigger float?

squimp

Site Supporter
I’ve got bolo floats up to 8.5 gram and could home make bigger.

Some of the barbel boys convert pike floats !

I was speaking to Mr Harrell recently and he told me to try big speci wagglers as well. He sells them up to roughly 8 gram.

You can also buy big pellet waggler floats which could do the job (I’ve got some cheap plastic 10g ones).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have some big 12" Drake bodied wagglers. This chap was telling me matches won with 30lb of Roach on 10g Bolos with an olivette and no4 dropper! I'm determined to crack it and going to go and check out this club water over the next few weeks in anticipation of Autumn.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm hoping to fish further upstream with this chap, a new friend I made in the area, this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to pick his brains a little more. It seems extreme to both of us but he does a lot more float fishing than me and reckons it's the case!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just trying to do the maths on my floats weight wise. The two wagglers I use the most have 1.5g and 2g loaded weights then take a couple 4s to lock them and a few 8s down the line or a 1 and 4 to lock them and a few 9s down the line so guess take about 2g and 2.5g in total. Then regular stick wise it’s 4x4 and 4bb at either end the spectrum with a couple different ones in between them so guess that’s less an 1g up to less than 2g. Will occasionally use 5, 6 or even 7 bb sticks or wagglers that take 3g in total but that’s pretty exceptional for me. Would like to get some small bolos though from say 2-5g.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is my biggest Bolo. As yet unused :LOL: shows how much float fishing I do! But I think I'm more likely to give 6 or 8g a go than 10.

2022-05-15 11.33.12.jpg

SeanB

Site Supporter
I can recommend the Maver Signature inline bolos and, as already mentioned, the Premier Floats ones.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Think my biggest bolos are 8g, could do with some 10g for when the swim and conditions require a bit more bossing.

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo ......Bolo until your heart is content!:love:......Sliding jobbies there too should you need them....Without trying to teach you to suck eggs, visit the venue/recce and try and work out where you'll be fishing, depths, etc etc and buy floats to suit or you'll be going in blind.....

This will stop you being under gunned for the job in hand and possibly spending a small fortune on floats that ain't gonna be used much....(y)

Some proper jobbies here up to 15 grams!:love:......(have/still use large bolo floats on my docks, usually sliders up to 12 grams....)

Bolo

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
best to have a range of bolo floats mate as conditions can change overnight especially on the severn . one of the best pieces of advice ive ever been given was make sure you boss the swim and not the other way round . ive used bolos up to 12 grams in heavy flows and bad winds . but ive also fished the same swims in different conditions with 2 and 3 gram floats , so it pays to have a good range in your box

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I fished 3 “mark’s tackle” open matches there a few years ago ... best I did was 4th.
always in the winter ... and I always caught better close in on the stick anyway 😝

Robwooly

I'd be wary of going down a route based on what a bloke told me he saw.

I'd go watch that match and see for yourself, if you aren't confident float fishing whacking out a bolo a third across where it's deep is going to be a task, you'll either need a slider or a really long rod. to cope with the depths. I'd stick on the inside line if I was you, or find shallower swims, could be those match guys are only fishing out there as they have drawn pegs where they have to

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've only fished there about 4 times recently. 3 of those were in summer. 4th time I went for the first peg I came to and had a big snag close in where I planned to fish, so moved peg to the next peg which was a big shallow bay with no flow! Needless to say I haven't caught much there. I would have almost gave up on it as it's a far enough walk through the town to the river, let alone along the river past the Rugby Club (where you used to be able to park). But I plan to at least check out the other club stretch above the bridge. I have a 17' rod courtesy of @NoCarpPlease that I'll be able to use. Would be nice if I could 'crack it' there, as the Jon Arthur video filmed on the BAA stretch there made it look easy!