Wellingborough & District Nene AC

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I am very pleased to be able to say that I have been elected onto the management committee of WDNAC.

About the Wellingborough & District Nene Angling Club

(replacement/updated website under construction)

The club is the eleventh largest in England and this year we celebrate our 150th anniversary. We have 15 lakes, some 8 miles of canal and a number of stretches of the rivers Ouse (Bedfordshire) and Nene. We also have negotiated rights to fish sections 1-7 of the Luton AC stretch of the GUC and the two lakes at Cannons Ashby. All this for an adult ticket (1/1 to 31/12) of just £45, Seniors (65+) £30 and juniors (8-15) £10. There are a limited number of night permits for a couple of lakes but these sell out quickly!

From match style lakes to big carp, river bream (one recently landed on the Ouse of over 10Lb), roach, chub, barbel all feature. On the Brian Crowhurst fishery at Ringstead alone we have four lakes (one match style containing carp to ten pound and a good head of crucians and skimmers both to two pound+), one small "silvers" lake and two large lakes that throw up 20lb + carp and large bream & tench regularly. Add to this an easily accessible stretch of the Nene that offers both weirpool and ordinary river fishing with toilets on site and on selected days a burger van*.

The club have invested heavily in otter fencing at Ringstead and installing excellent platforms on the Millcotton match style lake. There are also five disabled pegs suitable for wheelchairs on that lake located in the car park. The club never rests on its laurels and is constantly seeking ways to improve the fisheries, access for all and of course the fishing.

Each Summer the match style lake hosts a series of Tuesday evening opens, draw 5:15, fish 6-9. First match this year on May 28, see this page for all dates and contact details for booking on. I am guessing entry will be £10, including peg fee of £3 as per previous years.

Any members or prospective members wishing to raise any questions please feel free to PM me. I may not be able to resolve all issues or queries to your satisfaction but you will be listened to.

*Vandalised last weekend in March but should be back in action soon

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Congratulations on being elected Neil. (y) You haven't said what post you have been elected to ?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Just a committee member. I'm not ready to take on any actual role at the moment though I have offered my services for coaching and helping with junior matches. The club holds its own junior matches plus hosting events for groups working with youngsters. In time the club might sort out financing for me to become a qualified coach.

I think the new website will have a blog section, so I may get involved there. I also plan to be a bit more visible on the club's Facebook page.

rudd

Site Supporter
Good work.
Start to toughen your skin up, being a committee member makes you a fair target in the eyes of many.
Not just normal members either, other committee members will play a good political game when wanting support or when they dont agree on agenda issues.
Stick to your guns and listen to members complaints and ideas. I put every one I received in front of the committee regardless of how trivial or of whom it came from. A committee member needs to show neutrality in all they do - except when debating or voting during committee meetings.
Enjoy the experience, its nice to get a say in things!
And one last thing - expect some foot traffic when fishing!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Thanks. I am a fairly experienced committee man what with PTA's, school Governor, fishing clubs (currently chair of my match club) and charities as well as those at work. Sitting round the table with all the other Clearing Banks helps toughen you up as well.

Like you I have no fear of raising issues either of my own or those of members and indeed within a week I have already started the ball rolling on some things of my own and a couple of members. To be honest it is for that reason I was invited to put myself forward. The chairman and treasurer are well aware I will not be a "silent partner".

I am very happy for people to approach me on the bank. I normally only fish the club waters on a pleasure session. So whether it is club matters or advice I am always happy to chat.

We have a few qualified coaches in the club who are available to any club member. I hope to join them in time and my long term ambition is to have a regular coaching session covering all aspects of fishing from making rigs/terminal tackle to wetting a line and all that requires to improve but I must not run before I can walk. My vision is for a monthly Saturday afternoon on our match style lake where we have both catering and plenty of space and the facilities to run an outdoor classroom.

rudd

Site Supporter
Keeping yourself busy then. ?
Ironically I used my experience gained on committee to progress my career which partly in turn caused me to resign positions held in club as time become a valuable asset.
Due to another career progress I have just had to inform another club that I will be doing alot less balifing than I have been.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Sorry, didn't make it clear. I'm not doing all those at present. Most are in the past and I'm certainly not working now. I have only taken the committee role with Wellingborough on the understanding that I will not be seeking any defined role.