Well . . . that's me knackered for a while !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Sat 25.1.03 04.40 am,

Just getting my Suzuki RF900 Motorcycle out of the garage and noticed that the chain was sounding a bit dry.

Put the bike on it's side stand as it doesn't have a centre stand, got some lube spray and sprayed half of the chain that wasn't obscured by the chain cover, centred the bike and rolled it forward a foot or so to expose the remaining chain and let the bike settle back on the side stand ... OR SO I THOUGHT !, as I'd rolled the bike forward the side stand had caught on the ground slightly and unlocked ! ... I'd let the bike go and the full weight hit my right leg, pushing my knee back in the opposite direction it is deigned to go[V]

I tried to pick the bike up and collasped thanks to the pain, well I managed to ger up the stairs on my arse and wake Jill my wife, who whisked me off to A & E, so now I'm sat here bored shi*less for at least the next 2 weeks until I go back for assessment.

I tried to convince Jill that my casting action isn't affected but she's having none of it. [:(!]

The bike
http://www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk/rf900/index.htm

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

Last edited:

david platt

Fusilier
AndyA,
Sorry to hear about that M8,[:(]if her indoors is having none
of it get her to fetch your gear indoors & give it a clean[;)]
our get yourself a fishing game for your pc BUT GET
YOUR SELF SOME COUNCELLING.[^]keep your chin up[:D]
david

lanc

Lid

Ouch!! Sounds nasty Andy. What's the actual damage to your leg then [?]
Hope you mend soon, and get some fishing in at the same time.

Oh yes, did you damage the bike much [?]

Lid [:)]

AndyA

Thanks guys,
The damage to the leg isn't clear yet, luckily I don't appear to have broken any bones [:)], the Doctor syringed off about half a pint of blood/fluid from my knee which certainly relieved the pain for a while.

I'm back for assessment in a couple of weeks when they'll have a good fiddle with my bits and decide if there's any ligament or cartledge damage.

Luckily I've got one of those velcro leg splint's on so I can take it off at bedtime etc.

As for the bike, well I think I've been very lucky, the only visible damage I've spotted so far are some scratches to the plastic on the left side of the fairing, they should touch in ok once I get a colour stick (25 bleeding quid [:(!]).

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is it the bike or you that doesn't have a leg to stand on Andy ? [:D]

Seriously, glad the bike is okay as it's a helluva looking bit of kit

As for your knee, myself or Stu will get a replacement knocked up for you if you want - chances are though that you'll have just torn some tissue around the kneecap and strained a few ligaments [:)]

We know a man..... [;)]

Dave

AndyA

quote:As for your knee, myself or Stu will get a replacement knocked up for you if you want

That'll do nicely Dave, if you could fit it with a couple of draws for my pipe & baccy and if it's not too much trouble a float compartment would be handy [:D]

everyready

hope you get well andy cant jill cast and bait rods and you pull the fish in [:(]

Beebs

My old mum always used to say that motorbikes are dangerous, and now I see what she means!![:p][:p]

No fun doing your knee in. I knackered mine up about 6 weeks ago (twisted it badly, rather then bent it back the wrong way.) It took a good while before I walked without a limp, evey now and again, I'd turn awkwardly and it would go again. This morning, packing my kit into the car to go fishing and I slipped on a piece of plastic and put it out again. Floundering around on the garage floor like a right pleb I was. Hurt like ****.

Make sure you take it easy on it. Knees can be a pig to heal.

To top it all, my clutch is now playing up. Have a nice day.

AndyA

quote:hope you get well andy cant jill cast and bait rods and you pull the fish in

Ahahahaha !, I've just run that one past Jill and she's not having it [:0][:D][:D][:D] .......... damn fine idea though !

quote:Make sure you take it easy on it. Knees can be a pig to heal.

Don't like the sound of that Beebs [:0]

Beebs

quote:
Don't like the sound of that Beebs.

I made the mistake of not having it looked at, so anytime I move awkwardly, it goes. It just happens that when I slipped this morning, the first thing to go was my knee. As long as you keep visiting the quack and keep taking their advice, you should be ok. If I'd done that straight away, maybe it would have healed better, but I wasn't in the country at the time and didn't want to see some foreign doctor, so I just layed up on it for a few days. It did get a lot easier and it gets so that I completely forget that its been injured and go walking on slippery surfaces that normally wouldn't give you any trouble if the knee was ok. But I also keep forgetting that it's not fully healed yet, so whenever it goes, it doesn't take much persuading.

Just make sure you rest up on it and listen to the doctors and remember that not to walk on any slippery plastic in the garage!!!

Get well soon, Andy.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Tough luck Andy, hope all goes well mate,

one thing now you're laid up you should beable to come up with
some good interesting topics, (for a change [:D][:D][:D])

It'll not be long before you're getting your leg-over again,
[:D][:D][:D]
the bike of course,[:I][:I][:I] oooh errr missis!!! [:p]

All The Best Andy...

teepee.

Do not resist growing old.
Many are denied the privilege.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter

My guess is that you've caused a rupture with the patella (knee cap) damaging the flesh around the knee. At the same time you'll have overstretched the ACL ligaments whose primary task is to limit the amount of forward flexing of the joint [:eek:)]

Dave

Lid

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I did a similar injury to Andy (in 1975). I think Andy's swelling is caused by the knee joint being sprained. Not shown on the diagram is a membrane round the joint (synovial membrane). With a sprain, just like in the ankle, this membrane is ruptured causing the lubricating synovial fluid within the joint to leak out, and there's plenty of it.

Also not shown is the PCL (Posterior Cruxiate Ligament), which limits side to side movement I think. If these ligaments get torn, they don't repair and the surgical repair techniques I knew about in the 80's were left for top athletes only. Hopefully though Andy, it won't come to that, but take care not to keep re-spraining it while it heals.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

Beebs

Quote from Dave - My guess is that you've caused a rupture with the patella (knee cap) damaging the flesh around the knee. At the same time you'll have overstretched the ACL ligaments whose primary task is to limit the amount of forward flexing of the joint.

Quote from Lid - I think Andy's swelling is caused by the knee joint being sprained. Not shown on the diagram is a membrane round the joint (synovial membrane). With a sprain, just like in the ankle, this membrane is ruptured causing the lubricating synovial fluid within the joint to leak out, and there's plenty of it.

Also not shown is the PCL (Posterior Cruxiate Ligament), which limits side to side movement

QUACK QUACK

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
LOL Beebs,

I missed my way in life - I always wanted to be a gynacolgist but couldn't spell it on the application forms [:D]

Collectively I don't think there's many questions the members cannot answer on here

Dave

Apache

I damaged my knee after falling out of a tree! (yes go on have a lugh), I was to busy watching a 25lb+ Mirror feeding than seeing where my feet were! I nearly ended up suffering from jet lag I went through the air so fast. No permenant damage though-just bruised pride!

Hope you get better and are allowed out soon Andy!

:) Apache :)
http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com
http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com/images/clevr_leather-m2.jpg

AndyA

I don't like the loof of that knee diagram [xx(], looks like something I'd give my dog [:D]

Do any of you get those involuntary twitches when your asleep ?, I got one in my dodgy leg last night, I must have been trying to kick Jill again (she reckons I do it on a regular basis when I'm asleep[;)][;)][;)]) .... BL**DY HELL I almost hit the ceiling.

everyready

i have got a bad ankle CAN ANYONE NO M D tell what is wrong to save me haveing to go to the doctors tuesday [:D] [:D] [:D]

jonesr

Cheer up Andy. Sit back and think of all the M/d's that are going down with the Flu,etc.After going out in the weather we have been having![:D][:D][:D][:D]

Ron J [:(] ( I can't get out either!)

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.