Well that escalated.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Thanks for the good wishes and advice folks, very much appreciated?
@Philocalist, mate you described it exactly. Any movement of the foot is excruciating.l told my son to go upstairs yesterday because l didn't want him to see or hear the pain l was in. By heck its painful folks, from an insignificant slighly sore toe(an excuse to get a toe and foot massage by the mrs) to raging throbbing pulses of pain. Popping the anti biotics and pain killers and hopefully kick this thing arrse soon as possible.?

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Hope you have a speedy recovery @Godber

my daughter had a horrible time with it 4 years ago (she was 3 at the time) she was in hospital for a week, and was completely motionless for the first three days. The doctor even commented how bad she was, once she was on the mend.
Oh mate, its bad enough for an ugly mug adult like me. Horrible to read your little one had it but glad she's better?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Godber don't listen to them mate, sod the tablets, sod the rest just carry on as normal and you to can end up with pretty colouring and dry powdery skin on your leg...just like me!

20201011_101940.jpg

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Get well soon Goldberg - cellulitis is crappy, mate of mine has regular flare ups and hospital time - hope you are back on the bank soon.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Get well soon mate... look after yerself...?

Philocalist

@Godber don't listen to them mate, sod the tablets, sod the rest just carry on as normal and you to can end up with pretty colouring and dry powdery skin on your leg...just like me!

20201011_101940.jpg
Lightweight :D
At the risk of putting the fear of God into Godber, this is what my leg was like about 4 weeks after first infection (much better here than it had been - and yes, that thing that looks like a ham is my calf! - the other pic was taken a few minutes ago, more than two years down the line - and today is a good day :-(

Attachments

• 20170911_203859.jpg
    20170911_203859.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Today.jpg
    Today.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 19

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
At the risk of putting the fear of God into Godber, this is what my leg was like about 4 weeks after first infection (much better here than it had been - and yes, that thing that looks like a ham is my calf! - the other pic was taken a few minutes ago, more than two years down the line - and today is a good day :-(
Omg mate, at the risk of sounding indelicate, you could have bred a pint of maggots on that leg.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Oh my God mate, thats awful. ?

Philocalist

Oh my God mate, thats awful. ?
..... And that was just the pics our lass took at my request, at the back of my leg where I could not see - it was probably worse on the front, down my shin from knee to ankle, where there is relatively little flesh :D
Cant impress on you enough mate - get the antibiotics into you, get your leg up and keep it there, as long as possible, as often as possible. With any luck, you'll avoid the worst of it.
Quick bit of very important advice - if you DO get to a stage where they are applying new dressings frequently, there ARE products (dressings) available that make it a bit less traumatic. They are easily available, but what I was completely shocked by was the lack of availibility, overall, within the NHS. Whether it was on a hospital ward, the treatment room at the GP, or a visiting District Nurse, most of the time they either had no supply, or were unable to locate a supply - it was almost as though everyone was looking in empty cupboards. I get it - some of the low-adhesion pads needed were much bigger than might be ordinarily carried in numbers, but.......
I got around the problem by taking the issue to my GP, after identifying properly through the District Nurse, what she would use for preference. The GP was happy to subsequently write out quite large prescriptions for me for the various bandages, pads and special adhesive tapes etc that were needed (none of it cost me a penny!)
A few calls around local pharmacies quickly made it obvious that one particular one was known for being good with stuff like this - the other places were all suggesting I gave them a try! They were able to source everything I needed, repeatedly, either from stock or within 24 hours - job done!

Feel free to drop a PM if you feel there is anything I can help with - they may (or may not!) suggest some things that help with keeping the area sterile, which will sound brutal, to the point you'll try hard to avoid it - if it gets to that, let me know - it's very effective, and no bother at all - but it'll sound a bit like being told to stick your hand in boiling bleach ... but it wont hurt a bit, honest! :D

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Get well soon Godber,
I had it on face earlier this year, woke up looking like a hamster, puffed up cheeks. Eyes hardly open.
Phoned docs and was put on strong antibiotics straight away, Caught it in time it was gone in a couple of weeks.
@philocthe back of your leg looked like the front of my left leg in summer, I got it badly sunburnt, and had fluid on foot and above knee , on antibiotics and had to have dressing changed weekly for 5 weeks, Told I was lucky that flesh wasnt burnt too deep.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

mmmm crunchy!!