Well that escalated.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it spreads higher up will she continue rubbing?

I've never had it so don't know anything about it but it sounds painful if you're hurting, so take care and best wishes ;)

dave the fish

Site Supporter
My wife suffers from it. It’s no fun as you seem to have found out Mick. If she doesn’t get antibiotic pills very quickly after it starts it can often end up with intravenous antibiotics and several days in hospital.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Get yer sen right mate cos im sure it wont be too long into next year a Jolly boys to Benidorm will be on order :beer-toast1::beer-toast1:

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
My wife suffers from it. It’s no fun as you seem to have found out Mick. If she doesn’t get antibiotic pills very quickly after it starts it can often end up with intravenous antibiotics and several days in hospital.
Yes mate thats what the doc said, get the antibiotics down my neck sharpish or it can get nasty. Dont fancy a stay in the hospital with all this covid lurking around.?

Philocalist

Dont wish to be negative Godber, but you're better off knowing this, rather than being caught out by it - and unfortunately, what I'm going to say comes from experience.
I got hit with it a couple of years back, out of the blue - no apparent reason or cause - started mid-lower leg. Evidently, it can be caused by something as simple as bacteria off your own skin, there 24/7, that enter through a microscopic break in the skin - in your toe, they will almost certainly find that broken skin there, or a slight undiagnosed case of Athletes Foot, was the culprit.
Whatever you do, take the antibiotics as though your life depends on them, and get you foot UP - and by that I mean well up, not just raised slightly.
If you dont get the leg up (and it will still happen to a lesser degree, regardless) fluid will pool, and when you do stand up / lower your leg, the pain can be undescribable - in my case, the best way I can describe it is that it felt as though someone had a massive plunger at the top oif my thigh, rapidly ramming the contents of my leg down towards a foot that was already extremely painful - I've experienced nothing at all even close since. I passed a comment at the time that given the option, I'd raher take a bullet (again) - IF this starts, it happens every time you lower your leg to get up / go to the bathroom / sit up / anything.
Despite doing this, and total bedrest, I was on a range of antibiotics so far off the norm that they had to be re-authorised every 72 hours by the immunoligist at my local hospital. Immediate response from the hospital was to take me in for a minimum of 14 days to monitor the problem (potentially, it can be fatal), and administer the drugs, which by then had to be intravenous.
In one sense, I was lucky (ypou MAY be able to do the same, particularly with COVID lurking) - I negotiated treatment at home, rather than tie up a hospital bed - twice daily visits from thye District Nursing Service for antibiotics via a drip, and wound dressing .....
The 'wounds'. My lower leg looked (and felt) as though someone had stuck it in a bloody Tandoori oven. Where it wasn't crusty and blistered, it was bubbly, wet and blistered - it needed redressing at least once every day, and there was no easy painless way to go about it. Fun, it was not.
Sweats, fevers, desperate need to pee ( remember what I said about the pain of getting up?)
Sharing a bed through this is nigh-on impossible.

It went on for nearly 4 weeks before it started to ease off to any degree at all, and was probably another 8 weeks after that before the skin had healed - sort of.

To this day (over 2 years later), the skin looks and feels like a cross between a cheap handbag and a purple alligater - like bumpy leather - still very sensitive to touch and painful (walking through 12" high grass can cause a break in the skin) and any wound there needs immediate treatment dressing, no matter how small - left alone, even the smallest break in the skin will continue to weep blood or body fluid until it is bandaged - and will then take several days to heal.
Any 'scuff' type contact feels like a bad burn, immediately, across the entire area of a scuff - consider a burn of say 3" x 2" in area that you need to tolerate for maybe an hour, and you'll get the picture. Anything more than a very minor scuff will cause the skin to just peel back over the area of the scuff leaving a raw wound beneath. The skin is very thick and leather-like, will NOT re-attach as it heals, and will weep persistently through almost every type of dressing you put on there - and it may take 3 weeks or longer to actually heal (more or less, depending upon whether or not you can get the leg up again to prevent fluid building up pressure)
Socks become a nightmare, boots impossible to wear - wellingtons are history - shoes are now needed a full size bigger and must be low cut, beneath the ankle bone

'Best news'? It can now return, repeatedly, with no warning, for no reason. I've since spoken to people who have flare-ups 2 or 3 times a year. Touching everything wooden around me, and typing this with crossed fingers, I've been clear.

Seriously mate, dont take chances with what might appear to be quite trivial right now - get the antibiotics down ypur neck, get your foot up (literally as high as you can tolerate, both when awake and for sleeping) and do NOT paddle about to make a cuppa because you feel OK - this problem has some serious teeth - I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Last edited:

Gaz9243

Hope you have a speedy recovery @Godber

my daughter had a horrible time with it 4 years ago (she was 3 at the time) she was in hospital for a week, and was completely motionless for the first three days. The doctor even commented how bad she was, once she was on the mend.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
That sounds really scary mate, I hope that you fight it off quickly, as you say, the last thing you want in these times is a stay in hospital.
Many thanks to @Philocalist for the heads up; I had never heard of this condition until now.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I can only echo the rest mate and hope you have a speedy recovery., but there is an upside to it. Enjoy the pampering while you can, lay it on a bit thick and get waited on hand and foot (forgive the pun). :D