Weird waggler behaviour?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Waggler fishing is full of imperfections I reckon, but that's what can add to the fun of fishing it, you miss bites, can't be as accurate as the pole etc.

I have read a few posts about wagglers sinking slightly after a while, been there myself and the need to take a small shot off the line, can happen with pole rigs too. You'd expect something has taken on water.

How about this though? Fishing the waggler the other day, not far out so could plumb up pretty accurately, seemed flat and fishing 2 or 3 inches overdepth... on casting out and drawing the float back into position, the float is dotted down to a pimple, but within 2 minutes nearly a couple of centimetres of bristle is showing? The float has risen in the water!

I had to plumb up a few times to check the obvious wasn't happening, ie there being a slope and the sweetcorn bait or final no8 dropper was on the bottom. I'm fairly sure it wasn't.

Thoughts? 😁

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here's the peg. Spot the float?! I can't. My mate came along and said I can't see your float. I said it will be fine in a minute. :LOL: He said the same happened to him the other day on the peg and we reckoned there's a ledge there somewhere, the only logical explanation? But the float wasn't dragging towards me and I'd plumbed up 3 or 4 times to double check. Was driving me mad as would have preferred 1cm of tip showing, but had to settle for either side of that.

peg.jpeg

davylad

Site Supporter
Seems pretty simple to me what's happened, as you've drawn the float back it's been at an angle, then the rig has gradually settled in line, obviously showing more float.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Seems pretty simple to me what's happened, as you've drawn the float back it's been at an angle, then the rig has gradually settled in line, obviously showing more float.
Sometimes it is the simplest answers that are right. I do leave a gap between locking shot though, so float is still at an angle?

edit - I think I get it now, rig has actually drifted away from me and there's nothing pulling it down.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Thoughts?
Temperature/air pressure affecting the surface tension, or any other factors affecting the surface tension MAY have an effect, though I'm no scientist. The sinking of the float over time may be easier to explain, as nylon is hygroscopic it will soak up water and become heavier thus dragging a sensitive float under. Again, these are just musings on my part, and may be well off the mark.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think @davylad has it, it's because I'm overdepth, the line is at an angle underwater, the tension of which is enough to weigh down the float.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
With the most sensitive floats, dramatic changes in air pressure can occasionally have an impact. However, the biggest issues I've seen when fishing the waggler are actually caused by the float and rig moving slightly. Mono taking on water and sinking progressively deeper can draw a light waggler back towards you. Tow can also move a float. If the float moves into a shallower bit of water it'll rise, In deeper water, depending on the shotting, it may well sink.

Another potential cause is unseen weed. Whether you are talking about sparse bottom growth (that supports a shot or two, but you somehow manage to avoid hooking), or suspended fragments, it can be really frustrating. It's taken me quite a few years to get to grips with the downsides of float fishing in a deep lake with plenty of weed growth.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Sometimes it is the simplest answers that are right. I do leave a gap between locking shot though, so float is still at an angle?

edit - I think I get it now, rig has actually drifted away from me and there's nothing pulling it down.
Have you been buying floats off our @warrington63 ?😘😘😘

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No, mine! Drake Stepped Inserts. And if I could further mine peoples thoughts, how far over depth for Big Crucians? Do I have it right with 2 to 3" or should I be fishing just touching bottom?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
No, mine! Drake Stepped Inserts. And if I could further mine peoples thoughts, how far over depth for Big Crucians? Do I have it right with 2 to 3" or should I be fishing just touching bottom?
We should be asking your advice for crucians Steve.