Weighted braid for hook lengths

commieboy257

Account Locked
So I was watching a video on Youtube, Barbel on a budget, and this chap uses hooklengths of tungsten impregnated braid, 30lb rated I believe, could be 20, to guard against snap offs from snags etc, he said his hooklength will sit nicely on the bottom, which is sueful.
Anyone recommend a brand? How would you terminate the hooklength, swivel, ring?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Flow + sinking bait like a boillie or big pellet means the hooklength will be pulled to the bottom anyway. I think you'd have to go out of your way and find a floating hooklength material to get any issues.

I use 15lb avid carp captive, strip back the last few inches so when the knotless knot is tied there's a bit of bare braid before the hook. I tie mine KD style to create an aggressive hooking angle and hopefully will prick the fish if they try and eject the bait. I use ESP Cryogen curve shank size 10's with a 16mm boillie. I've caught a small 3-4lb Barbel and my dad's had a double on the same rig, so i have confidence in it. I'd probably step up to a size 8 in the same pattern if i wanted to use 18-20mm+ boilies.

20201001_174717.jpg

Other end simple figure of 8 loop and anti tangle sleeve.

20201001_174744.jpg

I'm no barbel expert but it seems to work (y)

Last edited:

rudd

Site Supporter
So I was watching a video on Youtube, Barbel on a budget, and this chap uses hooklengths of tungsten impregnated braid, 30lb rated I believe, could be 20, to guard against snap offs from snags etc, he said his hooklength will sit nicely on the bottom, which is sueful.
Anyone recommend a brand? How would you terminate the hooklength, swivel, ring?

rudd

Site Supporter
Flow + sinking bait like a boillie or big pellet means the hooklength will be pulled to the bottom anyway. I think you'd have to go out of your way and find a floating hooklength material to get any issues.

I use 15lb avid carp captive, strip back the last few inches so when the knotless knot is tied there's a bit of bare braid before the hook. I tie mine KD style to create an aggressive hooking angle and hopefully will prick the fish if they try and eject the bait. I use ESP Cryogen curve shank size 10's with a 16mm boillie. I've caught a small 3-4lb Barbel and my dad's had a double on the same rig, so i have confidence in it. I'd probably step up to a size 8 in the same pattern if i wanted to use 18-20mm+ boilies.

20201001_174717.jpg

Other end simple figure of 8 loop and anti tangle sleeve.

20201001_174744.jpg

I'm no barbel expert but it seems to work (y)
Use that for carp with a bb/putty on hair for popped up corn, boilies or wafters to pin rig down so it is critically balanced.
Also use for bottom bait boilies but mould a small ball of tungsten putty onto hair next to bait.
Then I mould it down onto bait so it almost forms part of the bait. When a carp picks up then ejects bait the extra weight causes bait to drop and hook to catch bottom lip ?
Would this work for barbel?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Use that for carp with a bb/putty on hair for popped up corn, boilies or wafters to pin rig down so it is critically balanced.
Also use for bottom bait boilies but mould a small ball of tungsten putty onto hair next to bait.
Then I mould it down onto bait so it almost forms part of the bait. When a carp picks up then ejects bait the extra weight causes bait to drop and hook to catch bottom lip ?
Would this work for barbel?

Possibly, but i don't want to go too Carpy, i already feel dirty using boilies and tying stuff KD style :LOL:

Before you know it i'll be bivvy and bedchair shopping o_O:ROFLMAO:

rudd

Site Supporter
Possibly, but i don't want to go too Carpy, i already feel dirty using boilies and tying stuff KD style :LOL:

Before you know it i'll be bivvy and bedchair shopping o_O:ROFLMAO:
Your not carpy until you own a ridge monkey 'square kettle' ?