Weeley Lakes

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Had a trip out here as they re-opened on Friday and wanted to have another crack at the bream in there, got there for 650 and 6 cars in front of us so feared the worse as we only know about 3 of teh pegs on there and they are the "hot" pegs so thought they would be gone and sure enough they were.

Fishing was me and my Bro and one of his team mates turned up for a day out as well so the 3 of us picked a area to teh left of the lake none of us had fished before, me and bro had only fished the lake once before anyway so was going to be a nice interesting day for all.

3 islands in front of us around 40meters out and i was told that you need to cast really close to the islands, even in winter, for teh bream as even next to the island its 3ft deep. So set up my 9ft Commercial king wand with a running banjo feeder and a running maggot feeder on a second rod.

The wind was a nightmare today with it changing direction every 10 seconds so started on the banjo with double mag on a 16 and 3" hooklength, pellet and gbait 70/30 mix for the feed as per the norm for me.

Chucked right next to the island and 5 mins later had two big liners, so second cast and another 5 mins get another liner so take a rod length off and 10 mins later a lovely pull round and bream number one hooked, lovely 6lb 2oz fish (weighed it as £1 for the biggest fish on the day)

two more casts and nothing but the wind was blowing my casts left and right, next cast in the same place and 10 mins later pull round and bream number 2! 5lb 7oz (weighed)

Then the wind really started and i struggled to get in teh same place but the distance was ok and over the next 30 mins i had a few liners and a few taps from what i thought was roach and several times i reeled in with no mag or sucked to death, so changed to a 12 with 5 maggots, next hour i have 3 mode 5lb+ bream and you really had to wait for the bite as i expected being so cold.

By this time chris on my right had 3 bream and my brother to his right had nothing

It was really evident that you had to get to the point of the island or a meter either side or you just had taps

Next cast i had a proper wrap round and carp number 1 was hooked, lovely battle on the little rod and a common around 12lb (fat as a football but perfect scales and mouth) was netted but didnt count as £1 was for the biggest bream but still a lovely fish and one hell of a battle

over the next 2 hrs it went really quiet for everyone, only saw one other person on the lake catch a carp when we were catching.

Into he last 2hrs and i felt like a change as even with 5 maggots i was getting nibbled so off came the maggots and a washed out bandem went on, actually i tried a flouro one first (all colours) and nothing then the carper to me left had a nice carp, two more alarms went off over the lake, i had a massive liner, chris to my right caught 2 bream in two chucks and i put on a washed out yellow bandem but a 14" hooklength

cast out and even as i tightened the line it pulled round and bream number 4 or 5 was hooked, again 5lb+ fish (all the bream were 5lb+ and lovely fish, already roughing up for spawning as well

THen it was a case of cast in teh correct place, sit and wait for 10-15 mins and round the tip would go! ended with 9 bream and the carp, lost 2 decent fish. Chris ended up with 6 bream and a few roach and my bro had 2 roach (sitting and waiting is not his forte!)

Lovely days fishing, i love bream fishing, tried teh maggot feeder and nothing apart from nibbles

Will def go back!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
was a great day and the bream average big in there im told and so it seams, catching 5lb+ is really nice, apparently some really big ones are in there as well.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes!

rudd

Site Supporter
A Wheeley good day out then Ginger!
Wheeley is one of the fisheries regularly targeted by EA for licences as they always catch a few!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
lol was wheeley good, i wish everyone license was checked every time they went fishing bud to be honest but i know its not possible